The Student Room Group

How important the ranking of the Uni for the future employment?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Guys, don't compare the best case scenario in the lower ranked one (~ranked @ 100 UK!) to the worst case scenario of the higher ranked one (top 10-20). An amazing well-recognized professor (Noble prize winner!!!) won't be sitting in a no name university. The point of better recognized supervisors in lower ranked universities is valid when you're comparing likes of Warwick and Cambridge, not when you're comparing likes of London Met Uni and Imperial College!

The difference here is so much that you can't even start to compare. Yes, there might be someone who did a PhD at a no-name place and end up better than Oxbridge graduates, but it's no reason to tell someone it's OK to go to the no-name place when he can go to a considerably better place.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
It's also interesting to note that about half of PhD graduates work for a company. Graduating with a PhD doesn't necessarily mean that a career is set in academia basically. There are so many opportunities made available upon graduation with a PhD. w00t.
Reply 22
Original post by Thinker03
Guys, don't compare the best case scenario in the lower ranked one (~ranked @ 100 UK!) to the worst case scenario of the higher ranked one (top 10-20). An amazing well-recognized professor (Noble prize winner!!!) won't be sitting in a no name university. The point of better recognized supervisors in lower ranked universities is valid when you're comparing likes of Warwick and Cambridge, not when you're comparing likes of London Met Uni and Imperial College!

The difference here is so much that you can't even start to compare. Yes, there might be someone who did a PhD at a no-name place and end up better than Oxbridge graduates, but it's no reason to tell someone it's OK to go to the no-name place when he can go to a considerably better place.

Actually they could well be, because a lot of people have a very rigid notion of what constitutes a 'no-name university'.
Reply 23
Original post by LysFromParis
First "dude" is a very disrespectful term. Second I think he was implying world 100 is pretty good while UK 100 is crappy.

Ops sorry didn't want to seem disrespectful.
Original post by LysFromParis
First "dude" is a very disrespectful term. Second I think he was implying world 100 is pretty good while UK 100 is crappy.

Exactly my point!

If you want to travel internationally, then you might want to consider the world ranking. If you're looking to work locally, then it's not much difference.

For example, Durham is almost at the end of top 100 in the world ranking.
Reply 25
There are two things I associate traveling with when either doing a PhD or upon completion of one: Traveling to conferences and training events or working in another country e.g. the US.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending