The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I understand that being a lawyer you are coming at it from a vocational point of view, but spare a thought for those of us who actually enjoy studying here for the sake of it.

Oh don't get me wrong. I love learning and I love a challenge and so I've applied to Cambridge because I know that it is within such an environment where I will excel. And I'm not just referring to the scholastic but also to the more social aspects with Cambridge has to offer.
My intention was to show that yes although I do love to learn and be challenged, that in the long run, for myself..I repeat myself...for reasons I've already stated, I think that Cambridge affords opportunities which would be not be so easily realised in other institutions. And don't mistake me when I say easily, I'm not saying that an Oxbridge degree will bring you everything that life has to offer, but if anything it get the ball rolling a bit quicker.
Reply 61
Redsapphire2000
I will excel... not just referring to the scholastic but also to the more social aspects ... get the ball rolling a bit quicker.

have you ever considered that you have too much self-confidence for your own good?

MB
musicbloke
What are other uni libraries like? I know when I went to kings london they showed me the music section and I figured that I could quite easily read every book there with time to spare in three years, but I assumed they had a more central library. The UL is excellent (and they have excellent cakes), but don't all places have interlibrary loans?

MB

Hmm- London is a bit of an anomaly though because you have the senate house library and the british library within easy reach - other university towns/cities are probably not so well equipped! the only other ones i've been to are smaller uni libraries and often they haven't had the most basic textbooks available. yeah most uni libraries do inter-library loans, but only the copyright libraries can borrow from other copyright libraries, and i for one would rather have the book right there in my 'home' library than have to fetch it from london or somewhere. plus, there's just no place like the tea room :wink: having said all that though my subject is kind of 'minority' so it's not as if you'd expect all university libraries to be well-stocked for it.
Nope....and you've taken what I've said out of context. I don't believe one can have too much self confidence, there's nothing wrong with aiming for the best in life and believing one can attain it. That's what I aim to do. Yes dissapointments do come in life, but to me there's no use in dwelling on em...aim high I say. Whatever happens, happens. If it doesn't work out..brush yourself off and try something different.
Reply 64
Redsapphire2000
I don't believe one can have too much self confidence,

You can if it's misplaced.

A.
You can if it's misplaced.

But at the same time self confidence must also be accompanied by realism. If not then it's not confidence at all but rather a cover-up for insecurities.
Steveee
I was kidding. Sorry.

Actually I'd find studying an essay subject incredibly hard. Not because I can't write, but because I'm REALLY lazy, and would never be motivated to go to the library. Now I can just write up my lab and do my example sheet (unless I've got a damn project GRRR), but if all my work was going down the library and reading and noting and writing I would just stay in bed and watch cartoons with a glass of milk.

No worries- it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek!

I found that i wasn't really motivated- i.e. i couldn't say to myself on a Friday just after getting the essay "OK, I'll go and spend four hours in the Seeley [History] Library to read these background books" because I'd probably go and spend about one hour working, an hour in the common room, and then realise I needed to do some washing or I would be indecent and/or smelly the next day and so would go back to College!

On the other hand, I was really concientious- if I hadn't done everything I needed to do, I would work solidly from 9:00am 'til 2:30-3:00 am on Monday and Tuesday to get it done.

And lectures- well, i went to about half of all of them. I definately went to all my supervisor's (because he would ask me why I wasn't there and "I overslept" is no longer a valid excuse!) but others (HAP for example...) I was generally too busy frantically reading the books I hadn't used before the weekend...
FadeToBlackout
No worries- it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek!

I found that i wasn't really motivated- i.e. i couldn't say to myself on a Friday just after getting the essay "OK, I'll go and spend four hours in the Seeley [History] Library to read these background books" because I'd probably go and spend about one hour working, an hour in the common room, and then realise I needed to do some washing or I would be indecent and/or smelly the next day and so would go back to College!

On the other hand, I was really concientious- if I hadn't done everything I needed to do, I would work solidly from 9:00am 'til 2:30-3:00 am on Monday and Tuesday to get it done.

And lectures- well, i went to about half of all of them. I definately went to all my supervisor's (because he would ask me why I wasn't there and "I overslept" is no longer a valid excuse!) but others (HAP for example...) I was generally too busy frantically reading the books I hadn't used before the weekend...

Lol, sounds like an exact description of my week! :smile: I did see 4am a few times during the term too, and that was pretty painful but all my fault for letting it build up during the week lol. Might see you at the HAP lectures next term then? I really need to make some more, lol. :p: Just discovered that my supervisor next term is actually the guy who has given all the core lectures this term, and because of my regular sunday night/monday morning essay crisis I usually overslept and didn't make them, oops. However, managed to photocopy a few of the lecture handouts from a friend so am in a slightly better position than before. Has your DoS set you a HAP essay for over Christmas? Mine has, though I've found the HAP seminars & classes the most challenging part so it's going to be very difficult - what about you?
Reply 68
Having been to visit my three top choices, Cambridge, Nottingham, and Warwick, I certainly got the impression that at Cambridge I would simply go faster and cover more maths during the degree than at either of the other two - both of which are among the top maths unis in the country. The maths tripos does have a particular reputation though.

I take it there is no-one here who has been an undergraduate both at Cambridge and at another university, and is therefore qualified to make pronouncements on this?
I'm going to be very slapdash about this issue and use the phrase "The cream rises to the top". If you're all excellent students (which I'm sure you all are of course!), then no matter where you go, you'll work your arse off and come out with a good degree. Cambridge graduates might find it slightly easier to find a job, but I@ve heard lots of good things about prospects of other unis e.g. bristol, warwick and edinburgh, where employment is concerned. At the end of the day, if you're in a job interview as a cambridge graduate vs someone from, say, Bristol, if you cock up and have no idea what you're talking about, chances are the bristol guy will get the job. And why not? It's not always about the uni, it's generally about you. You can go to the best uni in the world, but if you piss about, you'll fail. simple.
I think the motto is; not getting into cambridge isn't the end of the world, dissapointing yes, but there's life after it I'm sure!
Reply 70
i dont like cream...
Reply 71
Mm. Cream.

Has anybody ever tried drinking a shotglass of cream as a chaser to Baileys? Mmm.
Both cream and scum rise to the top. Sorry to break the metaphor! :wink:

White_redrose
Has your DoS set you a HAP essay for over Christmas? Mine has, though I've found the HAP seminars & classes the most challenging part so it's going to be very difficult - what about you?

The other way round- the seminars (or seminar in my case!) was fun and OK- I just blathered- something I'm good at!- and got the answers about right.

I have got an essay- and, as i have no books here at home, I'm going back up a week early to do it and the Themes and Sources work (as well as tidy up and sort out my notes) that I havn't had time to do. I'm working 39 hours a week here- but I was working moreat Cam, and doing so much else besides! I've no idea how I coped with it all!
FadeToBlackout
Both cream and scum rise to the top. Sorry to break the metaphor! :wink:

The other way round- the seminars (or seminar in my case!) was fun and OK- I just blathered- something I'm good at!- and got the answers about right.

I have got an essay- and, as i have no books here at home, I'm going back up a week early to do it and the Themes and Sources work (as well as tidy up and sort out my notes) that I havn't had time to do. I'm working 39 hours a week here- but I was working moreat Cam, and doing so much else besides! I've no idea how I coped with it all!

Lol. I can empathise with that - I really need to sort out my notes too...they are mostly stuffed in bags in my wardrobe at the moment but I can't leave them like that forever. :-s Going back a week early? That's dedication, impressive! I took out 3 books from my college library before I left for my HAP essay but don't think that'll be enough. Don't want to go back before I have to though lol. Ooh, what themes and sources option did you pick? Enjoy the rest of the hols! :smile:
Reply 74
White_redrose
Lol. I can empathise with that - I really need to sort out my notes too...they are mostly stuffed in bags in my wardrobe at the moment but I can't leave them like that forever. :-s Going back a week early? That's dedication, impressive! I took out 3 books from my college library before I left for my HAP essay but don't think that'll be enough. Don't want to go back before I have to though lol. Ooh, what themes and sources option did you pick? Enjoy the rest of the hols! :smile:

I found that my notes were disastrous last year, in that they were all scribbled on pieces of paper. This year I've taken my laptop to every lecture and my notes are far more organised.

MB

Latest

Trending

Trending