The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dekota-XS
The city centre has undergone major developments through out the past century, where there were industries, there's now shops. The city centre which used to be thoroughly rich in residential properties which have been replaced by banks and letting agencies. The once known historic parks it accommodated and the original buildings that were the life and soul of the city have been replaced by student housing and accommodation. And the biggest change in Coventry has been the expansion of Coventry university and its associated halls right in the heart of Coventry and all this change is happening as a consequence of you students taking over the city and you have audacity to now complain about it? Pathetic.

Sorry bud, but your town is horrible. Coventry is the pits. I've been to some sh1tholes in my travels, but no place was as ugly, depressing and dirty as Coventry. Just bleak!:eek:
Reply 21
I'll say it again. Coventry is an ugly, dirty, beat-up, broken-down, violent sh1thole that is definitely far off any tourist map. I can think of no other reason to go there other than to gaze at the mire of its post-industrial landscape of bordered up factories and weed-strewn car parks. It's a wretchedly horrible place with some of the ugliest samples of the human species on record.

-It's ugly
-It's litter strwen and dirty
-It smells like @ss
-It's bleak
-It's depressing
-It's dire
-The inhabitants are largely dirty, nose picking, uneducated, ignorant, loud-mouthed drunken rabble. Watch them they bite! Worst of all, they are extremely unfriendly and wary of anybody not from 'Cov'.
-Public drunkenness and prostitution seem to be the major pastimes of the female population.

So there. Send that to Fodors.:biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by HonestBob
I'll say it again. Coventry is an ugly, dirty, beat-up, broken-down, violent sh1thole that is definitely far off any tourist map. I can think of no other reason to go there other than to gaze at the mire of its post-industrial landscape of bordered up factories and weed-strewn car parks. It's a wretchedly horrible place with some of the ugliest samples of the human species on record.

-It's ugly
-It's litter strwen and dirty
-It smells like @ss
-It's bleak
-It's depressing
-It's dire
-The inhabitants are largely dirty, nose picking, uneducated, ignorant, loud-mouthed drunken rabble. Watch them they bite! Worst of all, they are extremely unfriendly and wary of anybody not from 'Cov'.
-Public drunkenness and prostitution seem to be the major pastimes of the female population.

So there. Send that to Fodors.:biggrin:

Places like Coventry have outlived their relavance.
Reply 23
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
I've heard that Coventry is terrible.

I know a girl who hated the area so much that she dropped out of Warwick.

At least it wasn't a high rise appartment
City centre, Coventry definitely.

Overall, Wolverhampton...... it just looks sad.
Reply 25
Quite funny how vehement the opinions of Coventry are. I don't think I've ever seen more hatred towards to a place!

If you think it's the most ugliest place you've seen you clearly haven't seen many places. It's clearly not great but the posts in here make it out to be Paldiski or something
Lol! My mum's from the West Midlands (Nuneaton), been there loads of times, and Coventry a few times (only 9 miles to the south), it's not that bad! It's not exactly Luton or some ****. Although, it seems that every second person is massively overweight.. what's that about?

Literally all my mum's family live in the West Midlands..
(edited 12 years ago)
I may or may not have lived in either of these places (:ninja:) but I think Wolverhampton is more grim... I feel like the life is drained out of me when I come home, which forces me to the internet and onto forums like The Student Room :colonhash:
Reply 28
Too many foreigners in Coventry, it get's my vote.
Wolverhampton.
I live in Coventry.. and have travelled extensively around Wolves.. but srsly?
Yeah Cov city centre is a dump.. but at least they actually have shops that are open. I'd say at least half of wolves city centre is just boarded up shops, full of graffiti and rubbish. At least Cov are actually doing something and regenerating the place.
Reply 30
I think Coventry is more dirty and ugly on a large scale, but wolvo is ****ing horrible in a much more concentrated area, interesting question!
Wolverhampton, Coventry etc. are great really, I'm used to grim West Midlands squalor by now. The worst places are those middle class country towns. Too clean and orderly, makes me want to vandalise **** and board up some windows until I feel at home.
Reply 32
Original post by drakesdrum
Quite funny how vehement the opinions of Coventry are. I don't think I've ever seen more hatred towards to a place!

If you think it's the most ugliest place you've seen you clearly haven't seen many places. It's clearly not great but the posts in here make it out to be Paldiski or something

I hate Coventry. I hate everything about the place and the @ssholes who live there. Wolverhampton, to me, is just like Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Redcar or any other former steel town slag heap. The steel mills are all closed and they don't belt out the smoke and sute they used to, but their cities are still grimey smelly sh1tholes. But even they, in all their bleakness and rust, don't compare to the dismal depression I get from that anus of the world, Coventry.:frown:
Reply 33
Original post by Timon
Let's face it, the West Midlands is the ugliest, dirtiest part of urban Britain. The two West Midland cities you hear the worst stories about usually seem to be either Coventry or Wolverhampton. Alright then, which of these two old industrial cities is the dirtier, more poluted and just plain uglier?

You lied. West Midlands isn't the worse at all. The most disgusting city in the country has to be Lancaster. Oh my life, it's ugly, it stinks and as long as I live, I'm never going back to that place.
Reply 34
Original post by honestbob
i hate coventry. I hate everything about the place and the @ssholes who live there. Wolverhampton, to me, is just like rotherham, scunthorpe, redcar or any other former steel town slag heap. The steel mills are all closed and they don't belt out the smoke and sute they used to, but their cities are still grimey smelly sh1tholes. But even they, in all their bleakness and rust, don't compare to the dismal depression i get from that anus of the world, coventry.:frown:

ever been to bradford?
One word sums Coventry up and that word is DIRE, I lived in Coventry for 12 months they were the worst of my life the place has no soul and is completely depressing its no wonder that the people look so lifeless and fed up of life when they live in the grimiest, dirtiest, ugliest, city in Britain. Wolverhampton may not be the best either but from my experience of both city's I found the people of Wolverhampton to be friendly happy go lucky folk in stark contrast to the miserys of Coventry.
Reply 36
I always had a negative opinion of Wolverhampton because whenever I had to change trains there it was dirty and a rather ugly building. You'd get odd glances well having a smoke outside and there always seemed to be something kicking off. Once my train got delayed for a few hours and I actually went into Wolverhampton and it was a rather nice city. Had a wonder around, went to a pub for lunch and a few pints, would have even considered getting a travel lodge and going out for the night if I had the money.
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
I've heard that Coventry is terrible.

I know a girl who hated the area so much that she dropped out of Warwick.

This scares me since im going to Warwick uni next year :s-smilie: Isn't it just coventry though? the Warwick campus is quite nice and it's not exactly in Coventry, rather between Warwickshire and coventry.

Latest