The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it is confidential, its just that if you apply before the Oxbridge deadlline they might guess. As to whether they reject Cambridge applicants though I don't know.... I'd imagine it's a rumour.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Bean__x
I know this may be just a rumour but I've heard from various people that UCL reject applicants who have also applied to Cambridge. Surely the UCAS information is confidential?

Is this true?

whats the source of your rumour?
Reply 3
Head of admissions from Oxford Brookes.
Well, if a complete third party from an ex-poly admin says it - it must be true!

UCL doesn't reject people because they have applied to Oxbridge. I know this as a fact for Economics at the very least and I don't see why UCL would reject a good applicant at any point. End of the story. We're very different from Cambridge and there are plenty of reasons why someone might turn them down for us (being in the greatest city, or certainly a contender for it, being a big point).
Reply 5
Bean__x
Head of admissions from Oxford Brookes.

LOL !
C says that if you apply to A, then B will reject you.
And all that with no experience of either A or B.
whilst D gets all the disillusioned, yet smart, applicants
Reply 7
Don't think this is true...although i got an offer from oxford and was rejected n dejected by UCL...sob
Reply 8
I wasn't saying it was true, I was simply asking if there was any substance behind this rumour, obviously not.

Thanks.

Why would they then reject an AAAA student for a AAB course? :eek:
heh
someone got AAAAA (so they picked them)
Reply 10
Bean__x
I wasn't saying it was true, I was simply asking if there was any substance behind this rumour, obviously not.

Thanks.

Why would they then reject an AAAA student for a AAB course? :eek:
heh

well...i was predicted AAAAAaa at Alevel (maths, german, eco, chem, bio, Fmaths, general studies<-ok, ignore this one...) and had 10A* 2As at GCSEs...

rejected for economics (fair enough it was AAA)

it depends alot on your PS and mine was just not for UCL :biggrin:
it also depends on your nationality, but they play that part down.
Reply 12
I doubt the nationality thing really matters...think that would be racial discrimination...
Fee status matters for applications. It isn't admitted but it does matter.

Oxbridge applications are very different from UoL ones. LSE and UCL don't interview. Oxbridge do.
Reply 14
it does matter? So does this mean a british indian/chinese/whatever is less likely to get in than a actual indian/chinese/whatever?

That's just wrong...
Most unis in the country want more money. There are economic incentives to take in additional oversea fee status students... draw your own conclusions!

Still, I've seen the policy papers in UCL to increase the ratio of oversea fee status to home status by 7% over 4 years. Such policy started with LSE and was in place in Imperial before UCL took it onboard. I know some Oxford colleges are looking at it too... even the richest universities aren't immune to market forces...
Reply 16
Traum
it does matter? So does this mean a british indian/chinese/whatever is less likely to get in than a actual indian/chinese/whatever?

That's just wrong...
Yep. Moreso at LSE than other places, though.
Reply 17
Oxbridge applications are very different from UoL ones. LSE and UCL don't interview. Oxbridge do.

UCL interview... for History, and erm, some other subjects?
Reply 18
Can I just make a small point here. I am classified as an overseas student and I am going to university in 2006. I did A-levels here in UK. Till now I have one offer- BA International Eonomics and they are asking me for AABB or AAA at A-level. If I dont have this grades I wont get to uni. I dont think that you guys that are local should feel uneasy about us the overseas people. We aint stupid :wink: ! 10-15 % of international students ,for example at ucl, is not a lot. Most American universities have more. Dont think our life is easier .
1. Dont think that if there is no international students getting a place at uni will be asier- they will just slash the places or increase them so much to cover costs so quality goes down.
2. When I graduate in 3 years I will have a debt of around 40k :eek: sterling. do you think that I will commit to such debt without being commited to study hard so I can repay them one day!
3. International students contribute a lot to every university as they bring new ideas and skills that sometimes may be in short there.

So peace :smile:
The competitive and highly respected courses at UCL are about 30% to 35% international students.

International students in a uni... good to have. For it to be utterly dominated by them... hmm, tough call. Especially when you're in London which already adds in a huge international mix.

If there were no international students at UCL (which is a silly thing to suggest), UCL would just cut undergraduate student numbers (since undergrads on average cost all unis in the country money - they don't bring money in!). We'd actually be back to the days when UCL was about 9000 students instead of 19000 and we had Oxbridge style tutorials...

So far as the economic incentive goes... a not surprising number of international have very rich parents...

Latest

Trending

Trending