The Student Room Group

How to clean a keyboard properly?

Over the years I've dropped crumbs and Heaven knows what else in between the keys, and I have tried to unscrew the back and clean, but there is a backing that means I can't get to the crumbs to clean out.

Any tips on how to clean keyboards?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hoover with the brush attachment after you've tipped it upside down, and for dusty keys use blu-tac.
Reply 2
Original post by Wattsy
Hoover with the brush attachment after you've tipped it upside down, and for dusty keys use blu-tac.

Tried that once before and it sucked up one of the keys.
Reply 3
Original post by Wattsy

And how do you use blue tac on dusty keys?
Reply 4
Use the hoover. Either that or remove all the keys and clean it out by hand.
Reply 5
Original post by hatemylife
And how do you use blue tac on dusty keys?

Make blu-tac into a key sized shape, turn off computer, push each key down with blu-tac on the thumb, the dirt will have lifted.
Reply 6
turn it upside down and smack it
Reply 7
take all the keys out! :tongue:
Reply 8
Desk Hoover!
This is one of the reasons I love my Mac; the keys have spaces between them so really easy to clean, but I had a Toshiba before this one and honestly it was full of crumbs!!

The blu tac idea does work or it you get one of those feather duster things that will help, too :smile:.
I just tip mine upside down and shake it like a maniac, Blu-tack actually says on the packet that you can use it to clean keyboards too :P
Reply 11
Put a sock or tight over the hoover.
Reply 12
Original post by Cringe
turn it upside down and smack it

Yup. Not when it's on though, as I learnt. (I'm an idiot.)
Reply 13
Tip it upside down and smack it. Also if you've got a track pump (doubt it) and a football needle, put it on the pump and hold your thumb on the tip of the needle and build the pressure up then release and point the needle at your keyboard to blast high pressure air jets inbetween the keys. Kind of a reusable air spray can :smile:
You can get that goo stuff? Has anyone here used it?
Reply 15
Original post by Cicerao
Yup. Not when it's on though, as I learnt. (I'm an idiot.)

Share with me the wealth of your experience :rofl:

Keys off -> Bucket of warm water and soap. Scrub that bitch clean..
Original post by hatemylife
Over the years I've dropped crumbs and Heaven knows what else in between the keys, and I have tried to unscrew the back and clean, but there is a backing that means I can't get to the crumbs to clean out.

Any tips on how to clean keyboards?

Get a flat bladed screwdriver and take the keys out.

What you need to do is slide the screwdriver under the front edge of the key and pry it off, make sure you've got your other hand over the key though because they will fly a surprisingly long way if you don't stop them!

Then simply dust it out and put the keys back in. Just remember to take a photo of your keyboard if you don't know the layout!
Reply 17
Buy a can of compressed air. very cheap if you buy from eBay (around £3 I think it was). 'Spray' it on the keyboard and if you get a narrower extension, you can also 'spray' it between the keys. I always use that and mine is clean every time.
Original post by muffingg
Buy a can of compressed air. very cheap if you buy from eBay (around £3 I think it was). 'Spray' it on the keyboard and if you get a narrower extension, you can also 'spray' it between the keys. I always use that and mine is clean every time.

I second this advice. Can also help to take the keys off with a flathead screwdriver to really get everything out.
Reply 19
Original post by linkdapink
You can get that goo stuff? Has anyone here used it?

i got some from the pound shop and only tried it once and it didn't do i particularly good job :/ it then got knocked over and green stuff spilt everywhere and dried before i noticed -.-

i also tried taking my keys off and cleaning it and now i don't have a proper 'e' button xD

I'd probably try the tights over the hoover hose bit suggestion or maybe getting a damp cloth in the cracks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending