The Student Room Group

Is grade 'G' new in GCSE?

I'm 20 years old so it was a good 4/5 years since I did GCSE's but from what I remember it went A-F as passes and then U for unclassified. Anyway my dad told me of someone who was unhappy when she got grade G and I was perplexed wondering if this is new. I didn't think it was possible to get such a poor grade I mean all you have to do is turn up to get atleast a D.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by y2k1
I'm 20 years old so it was a good 4/5 years since I did GCSE's but from what I remember it went A-F as passes and then U for unclassified. Anyway my dad told me of someone who was unhappy when she got grade G and I was perplexed wondering if this is new. I didn't think it was possible to get such a poor grade I mean all you have to do is turn up to get atleast a D.

Yes, G is possible.
Original post by y2k1

I'm 21 (22 in a month) and even then G's were possible, so as far as I can tell they're not recent. I can't remember what they're for though, but there was always a rumour about a guy that could spell FUDGE with his results...
I got a G in Graphic Design and Technology. My school was useless, though. At A level it goes to E and then it's a U.
Reply 4
I'm 24 and one of my friends got a G in one of his GCSEs back in 2003.

I think it depends what paper you sit. Not all of them go that low.
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
I don't get why GCSE's go below D tbh

Because C is the average. Kind of sad really.
Reply 6
Do you get a G just for spelling your name correctly? :confused:
They had them back in my day, 2006. I remember the teacher saying that a boy who got suspended might just get a G. I think it depends on the tier as well as Higher was A to C/D maybe then U, while Foundation was the rest, maybe why you didn't hear about it.
G is the grade you get when your answer is really fly.
Reply 9
FUDGE.
Reply 10
Original post by JCC-MGS
G is the grade you get when your answer is really fly.

*hot, filthy and duuuurty
Nope. I remember one of my classmates got a G for his History GCSE mock. And this was a while ago :o: So it's not new by any means.

I think he got a B for the real thing though :ahee:
We had G grades when I did mine in 05. Got it in IT.

The head of IT had our entire year group do the wrong specification for one of the years, so we all got 0 for the whole year. To put it in context, the guy who got 12 A*'s in all his other subjects (and proceeded to get 5 A's at A-Level and a 1st from Cambridge) got a D for his IT GCSE. The rest of us mere mortals got a range of E-G/U, I had no idea you could get below an E before we actually got our results.

No idea why they exist, if D is a fail why have all the rest besides U?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Nah it's not new. It stands for "godawful", but it exists. Have a feeling I got one for something actually...
Is it actually a grade boundary or just a special fail code?
Reply 15
Original post by Chicharito14
To be honest, if you get a G, even if it is possible, you should be ashamed with yourself. Fair enough to those with learning problems etc etc, but for your average joe, a G is unacceptable. GCSE's are so piss these days, everyone or most people come out with A's and B's.

Um.. no. Most people come out with C's. C is average across the nation....
Original post by Mangaka
Um.. no. Most people come out with C's. C is average across the nation....

And that is why? Either they dont give a toss, didnt do revision, or just stupid.

I remember doing my GCSEs 2 years ago, i did revision during the day's i had off between exams. I'm no smart ass by any means, but managed 6 A's 4 B's, with not much revision.

It may be that the average grade is C, but from my own view, some schools are shocking these days. I have people from college with pass rates of 40% attaining 5 A-C's, WTF lol. My school had over 92%, and no, it was a State School.

Standards are slowly declining, seriously...
Original post by 2ndClass
Do you get a G just for spelling your name correctly? :confused:

I have a G - in GCSE music!

Of course I didn't go to any of the lessons. I did do the exams but only because my teacher (who I actually knew quite well) asked me to for statistical reasons, I wrote a bit but mostly daydreamed. I did not submit the compositions you have to do at all. And out of the three performance pieces, I did one on the guitar (I can actually play, I just wasn't interested in the GCSE) and only because he saw me walking down the corridor on the day he was sending them off, and asked if I wanted to at least send some work in.

I am not sure how I feel about it really. I didn't try for the GCSE, and I didn't want it. And yet I feel annoyed I have a G instead of either a U or any good grade (I would prefer either).

Original post by Chicharito14
To be honest, if you get a G, even if it is possible, you should be ashamed with yourself. Fair enough to those with learning problems etc etc, but for your average joe, a G is unacceptable. GCSE's are so piss these days, everyone or most people come out with A's and B's.

See above lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
G grade is available for those morons who managed to spell their name correctly on the front. But seriously, GCSE's should not go below D - if you cannot achieve a D in a subject, there is something wrong.
Original post by History-Student
We had G grades when I did mine in 05. Got it in IT.

The head of IT had our entire year group do the wrong specification for one of the years, so we all got 0 for the whole year. To put it in context, the guy who got 12 A*'s in all his other subjects (and proceeded to get 5 A's at A-Level and a 1st from Cambridge) got a D for his IT GCSE. The rest of us mere mortals got a range of E-G/U, I had no idea you could get below an E before we actually got our results.

No idea why they exist, if D is a fail why have all the rest besides U?

Because D is not a fail. Never understood people who think this.

GCSE grades are not just about further academic advancement, they are also for people who are not going to college/uni. For those that get D,E and F it is a reflection of what level they are at for employment and also for further courses to help them improve. It serves a purpose, it is not a "fail".

Latest

Trending

Trending