The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Man U got thrashed by Barcelona, it was quite amusing to watch how pathetic Man U were. Fergie obviously can't beat the top opposition.
Reply 281
Original post by Ineluctable
Man U got thrashed by Barcelona, it was quite amusing to watch how pathetic Man U were. Fergie obviously can't beat the top opposition.

They are probably one of the best club sides of all time so it's hardly an embarrassment to lose to them you moron.

Are you just gonna troll all the societies?

There are easier ways to get banned. :fyi:
3-1 is not a thrashing, its 1 goal more than the minimum requirement for a win. On your scale thrash-win-draw-loss-thrashed, nice scale. The top opposition are the top opposition because they win. Moron.
Original post by doggyfizzel
3-1 is not a thrashing, its 1 goal more than the minimum requirement for a win. On your scale thrash-win-draw-loss-thrashed, nice scale. The top opposition are the top opposition because they win. Moron.

they owned you, it was laughable
Reply 285
Original post by rorydaredking
You come into our thread asking how we think the scouse will do. Then argue when we answer. Then say you cant have a reasonable discussion with united fans. Well who were you expecting to have a discussion with, reasonable or otherwise, in the united thread?

I meant a discussion without BS being spouted.
Smalling, Jones, Welbeck and Cleverley all start in tonight's do or die game for the England U21's

Jones captain aswell. Get in. This should be well worth watching lads
U21 should have beaten Ukraine, they have put themselves in a really difficult position. Welbeck is looking good though!
Reply 288
Sneijder rumour mill going a bit crazy. Lawyers have been notified apparently. And http://twitpic.com/5drbhh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqIt2pd_m-E

Hardly conclusive, but a little better than a tabloid rumour perhaps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 289
Welbec, Jones, Smalling & Cleverley easily amongst the best players in this U21 game...

They need to take Muamba off and put Rodwell on though imo.
Smalling and Jones both looking Uber confident out there. Some nice skills from smalling especially, and when striding out of defence, he's looked very assured.
It seems Blackburn have got some sour grapes about the Jones transfer. Surely if that was the case then some rumours would have appeared noting discussions taking place? They must be gutted they didn't get the £20m plus they were hoping for.

Also, Obertan linked with a loan move to Lille. I wouldn't object to him being loaned out but to a PL club if we can. We need to see if he can hack it at this level consistently.
Reply 292
Lovely goal by Welbeck
England crash out, who the hell said it was going to be a good game? They've played **** throughout the tournament, no creative outlet, playing Cleverly out of position. At least thats an extended break for United players and finally get to see Jones in a United shirt soon

I'd like to see Obertan go out on loan. Hes got potential no doubt, he just needs to play to show if he can be consistent.
Original post by Aky786UK
It seems Blackburn have got some sour grapes about the Jones transfer. Surely if that was the case then some rumours would have appeared noting discussions taking place? They must be gutted they didn't get the £20m plus they were hoping for.

Also, Obertan linked with a loan move to Lille. I wouldn't object to him being loaned out but to a PL club if we can. We need to see if he can hack it at this level consistently.

They couldn't give a **** about his career, they're just trying to get easy publicity. *****.
Get in Welbeck, great header.

Positive to take was that 4 United lads played, and were great
U21 team was really disappointing, Pearce is as much to blame as anyone, really poor management from him. Outplayed by Spain, poor against Ukraine, and poor against the Czech Republic, Arsenal style crumble there. 2 goals in 3 games, both from Welbeck and 1 was offside.
Reply 297
Original post by doggyfizzel
U21 team was really disappointing, Pearce is as much to blame as anyone, really poor management from him. Outplayed by Spain, poor against Ukraine, and poor against the Czech Republic, Arsenal style crumble there. 2 goals in 3 games, both from Welbeck and 1 was offside.

As poor a manager that Stuart Pearce is, we're really kiddng ourselves if we think he's the problem.
Original post by Pn94
Nothing wrong with our defence once we get a solid LB. Looks like we might be signing Zapata too for CB, who's been one of Serie A's best defenders this season. Gerrard is only 31, just recently said in an interview he's feeling in the best shape of his career after finally repairing his groin. In Suarez we've got a potentially world class player, in Carroll we've got a proven PL goalscorer who can only improve. If we do sign a winger of say, Downing's consistent quality, and then also sign a 'marquee' player in the mould of Suarez, then I can see us going places.

Nothing wrong? Liverpool probably has the weakest defence out of the top 6. If Reina wasnt in goal, your team would have done a lot worse. Agger has been injured the majority of the past season, Carragher always look out of place against a pacey striker, Johnson cannot defend for his life, Kyragos probably seen him give away more penalties than anything else. I'll admit you have decent youngsters who look promising but you have a to go a lot more than just sign a LB

Well it's not like he's going to say i feel old and tired? 31 for a box to box player is old, he's no way near the best shape of his life. Suarez has the potential i agree, Carroll a proven PL goalscorer? please he's played one season in the PL how is he a proven goalscorer...

I do agree if you guys do manage to sign decent wingers you'll be a much better team. However I still believe you would struggle to make the top 4. As a "marquee" player who would you realisticly see come to liverpool with no place in Europe? regardless of what we all think of the Europa league, we have no idea what players think of playing in the Europa league.
Reply 299
Just a quick thought on Rooney's pace, well more acceleration really. At Everton and when he first arrived at us I remember him taking players on far more frequently than he does now, he seemed to have a quick burst of acceleration that could get him a bit of space. We don't really see that as much now. I don't think it just happened when he started playing as a 'proper' striker in the 09-10 season, even in the 3 seasons before with Rooney playing a deeper role he wasn't really the same player.

When did he lose it? Difficult to pinpoint I know, but my best guess would probably be that metatarsal injury he got before the 06 world cup. So two seasons after he joined us. Seems plausible to me but my memory of that far back isn't too good. Anyway, could an injury like that have such a long term effect? Or more a general fitness thing, as he got older his physique changed (inb4 fat :rolleyes:) and that caused it?

Could be a technique thing I suppose. I mean, I remember in the 09-10 season at the Emirates when we scored that counter attack goal (Park, Nani and Rooney involved iirc) he made up some ridiculous ground to get there. Showed great pace off the ball, but on it he's not the same. So perhaps his dribbling skills have faded as he concentrated on other bits of his game. Seems strange to think bits of his game have regressed between 18 and 25 (?) but I suppose it's possible.

Or mentality maybe? He has always been a bit of a confidence player, used to have large barren spells, score 7 in 7 or something brilliant, and that'd (roughly) go in a cycle. Maybe he lost confidence in that area of his play, don't buy that too much myself though.

Meh, rambling, thinking aloud, talking to myself etc. This isn't a criticism of him btw, it's pretty obvious he's so much better now than when he joined. But it seems like his future in back in a deeper central role, and in that position a quick burst of acceleration while carrying the ball is such a great asset to have. That was one of the best things about Kaka when he was at Milan, when injuries robbed him of that he didn't look the same. Rooney shows glimpses now but if he could fully rediscover that part of his game he'd bring so much to the team.

Maybe i'm imagining/exeggerating how he played early in his career and therefore imaging/exaggerating the decline, pretty sure it's not entirely fictional though :dontknow:

Latest