The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Hey everyone,

Thought i would start this thread for all the nursing applicants thinking of appplying for the 2012 intake. Gives us all a chance to discuss where we are all going, ucas application,hints and tips, predicted grades and help each other through the long stressfull process :smile:.

Good luck :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!:smile: im from ireland so new to this ucas stuff and i havent applied for a nursing diploma but want to start one in 2011 or early 2012...
can you help me out in any way strssing out:frown:
should i apply and if so where cause i cant find much colleges offering diplomas anymore:frown:

holler back!!!
cheers:smile:
Reply 2
Hey there :smile:

Nursing diplomas are being getting rid of now to make way for the degree so a lot of unis no longer do them any more.

I dont no If you havent the requirements for degree which is why you havent picked the diploma but if so they are now doing acess to nursing courses at a lot of colleges which can help you get onto them.
dont stress out too much :smile:

Original post by moylan10
Hey!:smile: im from ireland so new to this ucas stuff and i havent applied for a nursing diploma but want to start one in 2011 or early 2012...
should i apply and if so where cause i cant find much colleges offering diplomas anymore:frown:

holler back!!!
Reply 3
Original post by moylan10

holler back!!!

Due to NMC changing their standards they want every newly registered nurse in 2016 to have a degree. For a lot of universities that haven't already phased out the diploma, 2011 is becoming the last intake for diplomas. You'll probably still find diplomas for March 2012 (I think Greenwich are doing their last ever diploma intake then at their Medway campus), however for September 2012 you'd be very lucky to find a diploma. By September 2013 ALL nursing courses will be degrees and no diplomas will be offered anywhere, so all newly qualified nurses in 2016 will have a degree.

You can still get on to a course if you don't reach the academic requirements at the moment by going on an access to nursing course. It's one year and I've known people to do well in getting placements.

Reply 4
Thanks for that:smile: got a place in dundee cause I had the grades for the degree in nursing to qualify for it:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by NatashaB5051
Hey there :smile:

Nursing diplomas are being getting rid of now to make way for the degree so a lot of unis no longer do them any more.

I dont no If you havent the requirements for degree which is why you havent picked the diploma but if so they are now doing acess to nursing courses at a lot of colleges which can help you get onto them.
dont stress out too much :smile:

Sound for that info:smile:got a place on a degree course cause i had the grades 4 scotland!!cant believe it its fair hard to get into nursing here in roi!really high grades needed like!!!
Reply 6
I am planning on doing Nursing (although part of me is telling me to do Paramedic Science! :s-smilie:)
I am at college doing A Levels in Maths, Media, Psychology and Health & Social Care. What kind of courses are other people doing? And what experience have you gained?
Reply 7
Hi all, another one for 2012 intake here! I'm applying for the degree, as the diploma isn't available anymore at my chosen university.
I'm currently studying an Access course with the distance learning centre, going OK so far!
Reply 8
Original post by harrietj
I am planning on doing Nursing (although part of me is telling me to do Paramedic Science! :s-smilie:)
I am at college doing A Levels in Maths, Media, Psychology and Health & Social Care. What kind of courses are other people doing? And what experience have you gained?

hey there :smile:

i know all about indecision :smile: well i did a btec in performing arts(2 years) and decided wanted to be a nurse so had to do alevels these last 2 years. Doing Biology and psychology and picking up as health and social care next year. i havent gained any experience yet dont have a clue where to even start, it so hard from what people have been telling me have you had any yet ?
Reply 9
Original post by F Ellen
Hi all, another one for 2012 intake here! I'm applying for the degree, as the diploma isn't available anymore at my chosen university.
I'm currently studying an Access course with the distance learning centre, going OK so far!

hi,
i was looking at access courses but i couldent do one at a local collage for nursing are you doing an acess course in nursing ? and do you go to college ?.
Reply 10
hi,
i was looking at access courses but i couldent do one at a local collage for nursing are you doing an acess course in nursing ? and do you go to college ?.

Yes, I'm doing Access to Nursing, with the Distance Learning Centre (http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/), so I don't go to college, it's all home study. I'm enjoying it, but it's best for those who are good at studying independently. Though you do get a tutor they don't hold your hand all the time!
Reply 11
Hi all Im doing K101 Introduction to health and social care in Oct with the Open University, and am applying for Nursing for 2012 so excited about it all lol just want to get going, trying to write my personal statement at the moment and struggling lol
Reply 13
I have a place on the Children's Nursing degree course at Greenwich University. Start date is May 2012!! I am very excited :smile:

I'm 24 and have been working since I finished my A-Levels so this is a career change for me.

I have already started buying books (while I have the money):
The Student Nurse Handbook (2nd ed) - Amazon - £10.92
Bailliere's Nurses' Dictionary - Amazon - £3.49
Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness - Amazon - £6.74

The Student Handbook and Anatomy book were from Amazon traders and the Anatomy book was 2nd hand (like new) because the brand new versions were a bit pricey.

I have also subscribed to Nursing Standard online and I receive their magazine. It's a MASSIVE resource with leaftlets, archives and news!

I would love to hear from fellow Child Nursing students and anyone who will be studying a NUrsing course with Greenwich next year!
Reply 14
Original post by Michelle387
Hi all Im doing K101 Introduction to health and social care in Oct with the Open University, and am applying for Nursing for 2012 so excited about it all lol just want to get going, trying to write my personal statement at the moment and struggling lol

i applied but withdrew so if you need any help let me Know :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by CaseyJ
I have a place on the Children's Nursing degree course at Greenwich University. Start date is May 2012!! I am very excited :smile:

I'm 24 and have been working since I finished my A-Levels so this is a career change for me.

I have already started buying books (while I have the money):
The Student Nurse Handbook (2nd ed) - Amazon - £10.92
Bailliere's Nurses' Dictionary - Amazon - £3.49
Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness - Amazon - £6.74

hey there im applying for sep 2012 child nursing :smile:

i was looking at books too to get an idea and was told the royal marsden book is good and the common foundation of nursing book. Is the ross and wilson book any good for child nursing i thought it was more adult ? what work experience did you have and a levels did you take if you don't mind me asking ?
Reply 16
hey there :smile:

i know all about indecision :smile: well i did a btec in performing arts(2 years) and decided wanted to be a nurse so had to do alevels these last 2 years. Doing Biology and psychology and picking up as health and social care next year. i havent gained any experience yet dont have a clue where to even start, it so hard from what people have been telling me have you had any yet ?

Oh that's good. Biology is a really strong subject to have for Nursing - stupidly I am not doing it.

Work experience wise I have the following:

-Volunteer as a first aider with St John Ambulance
-1 weeks work experience in MIU (Minor Injuries Unit)
-2 weeks work experience on an elderly patient ward.

I want more experience though. Preferably in children but I just can't get any ANYWAY! :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by harrietj

I want more experience though. Preferably in children but I just can't get any ANYWAY! :frown:

I know what you mean its impossible i was looking at brownies/girl guiding as any experience is better then none. I know some uni want you to have biology even if tis just at AS so you might want to check where you planning on going?
Reply 18
I know what you mean its impossible i was looking at brownies/girl guiding as any experience is better then none. I know some uni want you to have biology even if tis just at AS so you might want to check where you planning on going?

Yeah some unis do want Biology. However, I am taking Psychology, Health & Social Care and Mathematics A-levels so I am taking two social sciences. If I do Nursing, I am planning on applying too:

Bournemouth
Cardiff
UWE
Birmingham
Kings College London

^ None of these actually specify Biology. They just say a Science/Social Science is desirable!

Oh gosh, that's a good idea to get work experience with brownies/guides. I never really thought off that. I did a weeks work experience in a Creche in year 10. Do you think I could include that on my PS or is that a bit out dated?!
Reply 19
hey there im applying for sep 2012 child nursing :smile:

i was looking at books too to get an idea and was told the royal marsden book is good and the common foundation of nursing book. Is the ross and wilson book any good for child nursing i thought it was more adult ? what work experience did you have and a levels did you take if you don't mind me asking ?

Yes, since I have registered on this site and read some topics I can see the Royal Marsden book is really recommended, I will be getting a copy soon although with 9 months still to go before I start I am in immediate rush!

The Ross and Wilson book is a decent book, I got it more for the purpose of familiarising myself with the anatomy and actually pronouncing the words, which is what some nursing students said on my uni entry exam day. I haven't had the chance to read through it all yet but it is more adult-focused.

In terms of work experience, as this is a career change for me I have little to no healthcare experience. I was a trainee accountant for 4 years after leaving school, decided it wasn't for me and now work in admin for Children's Social Services, thus the inspiration to be a children's nurse. I had applied for a volunteer job at a local hospital as a way to get more experience but so far it's not going very well because the hospital keep cancelling the interviews! I basically used my personal experiences and encounters with nurses to support my application.

Where are you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending