The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by teen nurse

Original post by teen nurse
I start my adult nursing course on March 19th at the University of Chester at the Leighton Hospital campus. Anyone else there?

Yep, I am! I'm doing mental health nursing but we all start off together doing adult nursing... I'm at Leighton too... you excited?! H x
Original post by Kbooth82
Thanks KingGoonIan,

Your info on interview really helped me prepare and they were all so lovely! What course are you doing March diploma or sept degree

Am doin the degree - if I make the grades that is. :wink:

Yourself?
Reply 1382
Im doing degree also, i've got the grades as long as biology counts as science, it should do! Slightly gutted that theres no bursery but guess every student needs to get into debt!
Im doing degree also, i've got the grades as long as biology counts as science, it should do! Slightly gutted that theres no bursery but guess every student needs to get into debt!

Biology certainly does count and will be very useful.

Why won't you get a bursary?

There's a bursary it's just means tested.

Not sure about Surrey but Northumbria said if my placement is more than 3 miles from the University then I can claim the money back for travelling.
Reply 1385
You don't get the same bursary for degree as diploma but theres always some thing you can claim, just not as much! I have to travel from Winchester so hope you can get funding for travel!

Original post by *HB*
Yep, I am! I'm doing mental health nursing but we all start off together doing adult nursing... I'm at Leighton too... you excited?! H x

Yeah im getting a bit excited now! how about you? x
Original post by KingGoonIan
There's a bursary it's just means tested.

Not sure about Surrey but Northumbria said if my placement is more than 3 miles from the University then I can claim the money back for travelling.

You don't get the same bursary for degree as diploma but theres always some thing you can claim, just not as much! I have to travel from Winchester so hope you can get funding for travel!

As long as you apply for the means tested bursary (don't forget the additional weeks study) then you can claim your travel expenses for placement back. You can claim for expenses that are incurred if it costs more than your normal travel to uni. So if it costs you £3 for a day's travel to uni and the placement travel is costing you £5 per day, then you can claim the £5. If it normally costs you £3 to uni and the placement is costing you £2.50 then you get nothing. If you're driving, you can claim 23p per mile. These are standard NHSBSA rules so not sure where Northumbria are coming from. You can't claim money for travel to your uni for lectures, only placement.
It's turning into quite an expense. I'm using a tank of petrol each week at the moment. The NHSBSA take about 3 weeks to process each claim.
Reply 1388
I have a question;
How do I apply for the NHS funded bursary? I got an e-mail off UCAS saying I can apply for loans now, does that apply for the NHS one?
Original post by lausa22
I have a question;
How do I apply for the NHS funded bursary? I got an e-mail off UCAS saying I can apply for loans now, does that apply for the NHS one?

UCAS were referring to SLC funding only.
You need to apply for SLC funding (Non means tested maintenance loan) online. This year it was £2324. You can apply for this now.

With regards to the NHS bursary, your uni will send off your details later this spring to the NHSBSA who in turn will write to you with your reference number. You'll then be able to apply. I think that new applicants this year will be doing it on line.
Original post by lausa22
I have a question;

Once you have firmly accepted a place at your chosen uni, then in May they should a list of all the people who have accepted to the NHS. Then the NHS will send you the forms to apply for the bursary. So basically I don't think you can do anything about the bursary until you receive the forms from the NHS. x
Original post by Lydia7288
Once you have firmly accepted a place at your chosen uni, then in May they should a list of all the people who have accepted to the NHS. Then the NHS will send you the forms to apply for the bursary. So basically I don't think you can do anything about the bursary until you receive the forms from the NHS. x

Don't think they've ever sent the forms, we have to print them off from the NHSBSA website. It's going online for new students this year. Not sure what returners have to do but they will write to us to remind us to apply for next year's funding.
Reply 1392
Original post by glf2110
Don't think they've ever sent the forms, we have to print them off from the NHSBSA website. It's going online for new students this year. Not sure what returners have to do but they will write to us to remind us to apply for next year's funding.

Thanks everyone, it makes sense now :smile:
Original post by glf2110

Ahh the uni told us the NHS send forms but it's obvs just the reference like you said. Atleast I know now what to expect lol, so much easier/quicker to do it online x
Ahh the uni told us the NHS send forms but it's obvs just the reference like you said. Atleast I know now what to expect lol, so much easier/quicker to do it online x

You'll be the guinea pigs. :biggrin:
Be prepared to send your life off to them, they ask for so much evidence. When it comes to the accommodation costs, you prob won't know how much your halls are at that stage. They will accept a print off from your uni website with all the different prices.
Original post by glf2110
You'll be the guinea pigs. :biggrin:
Be prepared to send your life off to them, they ask for so much evidence. When it comes to the accommodation costs, you prob won't know how much your halls are at that stage. They will accept a print off from your uni website with all the different prices.

I won't be staying in halls, me and my bf will be renting so thankfully I won't have to sort that part out. Just the bursary and student finance for me x :smile:
I won't be staying in halls, me and my bf will be renting so thankfully I won't have to sort that part out. Just the bursary and student finance for me x :smile:

You'll need to send them a copy of your tenancy agreement and a whole load of other stuff. It's nightmare!:eek:
Original post by glf2110
You'll need to send them a copy of your tenancy agreement and a whole load of other stuff. It's nightmare!:eek:

Bloody hell. I'll just have to say i'll be living at home until uni starts as I won't be moving out or even looking for somewhere to rent until July lol x
Reply 1398
Will I have to prove I'm living with my parents? :O Is there really loads you have to send off for a bursary?
Yup I am indeed, me and a friend are both going over on a flight so gona be an early rise for the flight at 7am, take it your gona fly over too? were just flying over in the morning of that day, rather than the day before and staying over etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending