The Student Room Group

Registered Nurses/Nursing Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PaediatricStN
Yes they do! Not sure where in the country they are though! :smile:

i m not sure if it was correct but i read somewhere that the libraries will post hard copies to you. i do know the main one is in london:smile:
Personally, I'm just going to continue mine. Got no reason to stop it, I quite like that they are just for nurses, and I don't want the hassle of switching! :biggrin:

Not sure whether I trust the RCN to stand up for nurses enough, considering the election result :/
Original post by amyc123
Not sure whether I trust the RCN to stand up for nurses enough, considering the election result :/

Ah I see. The RCN are supposed to be apolitical though
Ah I see. The RCN are supposed to be apolitical though

they did mention they were a lot throughout the election process that they are apolitical so would hope nurses could trust them.
Original post by claireestelle
they did mention they were a lot throughout the election process that they are apolitical so would hope nurses could trust them.

I'm reasonably confident that I do trust them, however whether anything can be truly "apolitical" I confess I remain sceptical about.
I'm reasonably confident that I do trust them, however whether anything can be truly "apolitical" I confess I remain sceptical about.

i do feel this days it would be difficult for an organisation to hold no political views whatsoever.
I suppose I just feel comfortable dealing with a union that is specifically for nurses rather than one than isnt.
They also have a lovely document on being supportive of disabled nurses and i m unsure if any other union would be as quite as understanding of any issues i could have in practice due to mine.
Hiya! I just wandered if anyone has any advice regarding electives. I'm really interested in neonatal and will be doing my elective last thing next summer. How far in advance should I contact places and considering I want to do a UK placement rather than abroad, has anyone had a NICU placement somewhere that they really enjoyed and would recommend?

Also, if NICU doesn't work out does anyone have any interesting ideas for a child related elective in the UK? Google hasn't really thrown up anything amazing!

Thanks in advance :smile:
I'll post how I feel about politics and the RCN and their relationship with it all when I have some time, I'm busy at the mo and on my phone.

As for journals, I used to get the standard, in the end that and the NT are essentially the tabloids of the nursing journal world, they're good for keeping up to date with news in nursing and so on and sometimes have articles of use, but there are much better journals out there to use in academic work.

If you have an Athens log in you should be able to get the nursing standard through that, I think j can through the access to CINAHL I get through being an RCN member.
Original post by pinkglitterx
Hiya! I just wandered if anyone has any advice regarding electives. I'm really interested in neonatal and will be doing my elective last thing next summer. How far in advance should I contact places and considering I want to do a UK placement rather than abroad, has anyone had a NICU placement somewhere that they really enjoyed and would recommend?

Also, if NICU doesn't work out does anyone have any interesting ideas for a child related elective in the UK? Google hasn't really thrown up anything amazing!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Summer 2016? Maybe start looking at the start of next academic year, so from sept/October.

As for other ideas, try the big children's hospitals, they'll have most specialities we get in large acute adult hospitals, so think of different types of surgery/medicine, emergency or critical care medicine, theatres and so on :smile:
Original post by moonkatt
I'll post how I feel about politics and the RCN and their relationship with it all when I have some time, I'm busy at the mo and on my phone.

As for journals, I used to get the standard, in the end that and the NT are essentially the tabloids of the nursing journal world, they're good for keeping up to date with news in nursing and so on and sometimes have articles of use, but there are much better journals out there to use in academic work.

If you have an Athens log in you should be able to get the nursing standard through that, I think j can through the access to CINAHL I get through being an RCN member.

I more wanted them as something to sort of keep up with what's going on in nursing and for some casual reading really.
After doing a module on evidence hierarchy in my fd, I would never use anything that isnt fully peer reviewed in academic work, in fact i always go straight to Cochrane library(or find a systematic review from somewhere else) as a first port of call for anything academic :smile:

My university athens log in doesn't work for either nursing times or nursing standard, except for copies that are a few years old, don't think its in their library budget to pay for it :wink:

Think i ll just look for a decent mh journal subscription at a decent price instead:smile:
does anybody subscribe to any nursing journals or magazines?
I have been getting the nursing times but find the format a little difficult to digest at times so wondering if theres anything you all subscribe to that could be a good read?

If you find NT or NS hard going you will need to up your game as the other (proper) Journals are written in full on academic prose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN
If you find NT or NS hard going you will need to up your game as the other (proper) Journals are written in full on academic prose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that's a bit unfair. Claire hasn't even started her degree yet. It takes a while to get used to the style and content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN

Posted from TSR Mobile

When i really think about it part of the reason I find the format difficult is due to the font and numerous columns as I actually have dyslexia,my reading of things on paper is something that takes that little bit of extra effort to something on a PC.
I have completed a level 5 foundation degree so have read many journals in my time, sometimes with the help of assistive technology so know I can cope reading academic prose.
Original post by ForestCat
I think that's a bit unfair. Claire hasn't even started her degree yet. It takes a while to get used to the style and content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you forestcat:smile: I ve actually read loads of journals before but the poster made the assumption that I wouldn't be capable of this , the style of the nt with its non dyslexic friendly font is part of the reason I ve gone off it really. Just wish someone wouldn't pre judge my capabilities before understanding why I may be struggling to read some thing :/
Thank you forestcat:smile: I ve actually read loads of journals before but the poster made the assumption that I wouldn't be capable of this , the style of the nt with its non dyslexic friendly font is part of the reason I ve gone off it really. Just wish someone wouldn't pre judge my capabilities before understanding why I may be struggling to read some thing :/

Have you tried copying and pasting it into word so you can change it to a more suitable font?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 595

Did you ever get any support from the DSS at your uni? There's probably different tricks you can use to help you with that. Even I struggled with reading chemistry journals when I was at uni, I found it helpful to blow up the text on a photocopier and if I was at home, i'd print it out on coloured paper (black on lilac helps me read better). My sister is very badly dyslexic and when she had all her support at school I picked up a few things to help me, my brother and sister are both dyslexic but they never got me tested as I was "academic" when I was younger. I guess you don't need to up your game so much as devise a way to help yourself with it! :smile:
Original post by ForestCat
Have you tried copying and pasting it into word so you can change it to a more suitable font?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because of the file type it doesn't work on nt or their websites a bit iffy but i ve a special font built into my web browser for anything else(so I m reading this is a good font :smile:)
Original post by Dadeo
Did you ever get any support from the DSS at your uni? There's probably different tricks you can use to help you with that. Even I struggled with reading chemistry journals when I was at uni, I found it helpful to blow up the text on a photocopier and if I was at home, i'd print it out on coloured paper (black on lilac helps me read better). My sister is very badly dyslexic and when she had all her support at school I picked up a few things to help me, my brother and sister are both dyslexic but they never got me tested as I was "academic" when I was younger. I guess you don't need to up your game so much as devise a way to help yourself with it! :smile:

I did,for the most part I ve got a handle on it :smile: its just the occasional thing like magazines that come out awful quality when I try and scan them in. Its never too late it get tested if you did want to know:smile: I ve tried some colour but they didn't work, there's a test I could have done for colours but its a bit on the expensive side
as you are dyslexic i can see NT and NS being a struggle based o nthe format things you've said - ironically the more academic journals might be easier as their layout and typography is rather more sober

forest cat makes a good point aobut copy and paste from e-editions
Original post by zippyRN
as you are dyslexic i can see NT and NS being a struggle based o nthe format things you've said - ironically the more academic journals might be easier as their layout and typography is rather more sober

forest cat makes a good point aobut copy and paste from e-editions

An acceptance that you were quite rude and made unfair prejudgements, with a subsequent apology to Claire might also be apappropriate, don't you think ZippyRN?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending