The Student Room Group

Hate work :/

:/ I'm currently doing work experience for the summer holidays up until i go to university but i m absolute dreading it! :/ i need some advice, i don't know if i should quit or resigned or keep at it.

Basically i'm working in IT, every time i try and do something, something is always in my way :/ and when i think I've done it something else goes wrong and i have to start from the beginning. I don't know if i can take this for another 7 weeks!

It's not all bad their is some parts i like doing but in honesty the company would rather i do the other stuff which keeps ****ing up!

The work experience is paid but i just don't know if its work it if i hate it :/
Reply 1
the main question is, now bear in mind I am 30 and have been working for years

1/ are you working at the very best place possible?

if now jack it in and spend summer in Thailand or similar life is too short to be stuck in horrid jobs
Reply 2
Sure you want to work in IT support? Isn't there something else relevant to what you want to do?
Reply 3
Original post by FinalMH
:/ I'm currently doing work experience for the summer holidays up until i go to university but i m absolute dreading it! :/ i need some advice, i don't know if i should quit or resigned or keep at it.

Basically i'm working in IT, every time i try and do something, something is always in my way :/ and when i think I've done it something else goes wrong and i have to start from the beginning. I don't know if i can take this for another 7 weeks!

It's not all bad their is some parts i like doing but in honesty the company would rather i do the other stuff which keeps ****ing up!

The work experience is paid but i just don't know if its work it if i hate it :/

Just talk to someone there how your struggling maybe they can help, also would you be able to find another place now.
Reply 4
Original post by jimbo139
Sure you want to work in IT support? Isn't there something else relevant to what you want to do?

:/ i dunno i just thought some eperience would be good if i want to interim next year, i just didnt know it would be this bad

Original post by black_mage
Just talk to someone there how your struggling maybe they can help, also would you be able to find another place now.

The thing is i get on with people at work, i always ask questions and get help but its just i've been assigned two tasks over the two weeks, and tbh i thought i finished them but they ****ed up so i have to start again.

:frown: and no its proable to late to find replacement job, so i dunno

Original post by UPPSY
the main question is, now bear in mind I am 30 and have been working for years

1/ are you working at the very best place possible?

if now jack it in and spend summer in Thailand or similar life is too short to be stuck in horrid jobs

I dunno, i prefer programming whereas my role is more business and support related, so i don't think it match me tbh. I just don't know if i should give up or keep trying (and failing at the same time)
Reply 5
See how it goes, if you really can't stand it any longer then apologize and tell them how you feel and quit.
Maybe ask someone to show you how to do the bits your screwing up?
If you can do it without screwing up and then it makes your day easier. Surely that'll make it more enjoyable.

Nobody's going to hate you for asking for a little help.
Reply 7

Not sure if your doing IT support, but its a thankless industry.

Very few people will thank you in the long run, you could have no issues with a client for years, then one bad thing happen and you lose their contract just like that.

Another thing i dont like is relying on other support companies.
Your clients, end user will always look/blame for you to sort out their issues even if you cant because its another companies problem ie broken hardware.

But, solving problems feels good, and some people will thank you.
You cant be expected to do everything right, ask for help if your stuck, its a refresher to the brain when you have to teach someone.
Reply 8
If you are doing support, I can feel your pain. I did it for 1 and a half years, hated it every minute I was there.

However, it is experience.
Do What You Love, Love What You Do...
Reply 10
Original post by shellyhowell
Do What You Love, Love What You Do...

The words of wisdom.

Sacrifice the lifestyle you have in order to get the job you love if you have to.

Better than doing something you hate to maintain a certain lifestyle.
Reply 11
:/ I dunno maybe i m just after reassurance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending