The Student Room Group

how many packs can you take in a row?

I've been on Microgynon 30 for a few years now and every now and again, I skip the break for various reasons like holiday, seeing my boyfriend and very occasionally missing pills. My questions is as above. How many packs can I take back to back? I've not taken more than 3 packs in a row before, but wondered if it's unsafe to have more than 2 'no breaks'.

Thanks!
I've taken up to 4 back to back in the past.
Reply 2
I think you need to have atleast 4 breaks a year to keep everything healthy
Reply 3
I am on Microgynon 30, have been for the past 7 years. Technically, you should be able to take as many as you want, but you will find you get breakthrough bleeding. My doctor advised me this was the case, in fact there is a school of thought amoungst doctors that periods should be supressed - http://www.noperiod.com/ - by use of the contraceptive pill. I'm not advocating this, but recommend you talk to your doc about it. Generally I skip so I only have four periods a year, it is very handy and you save on buying STs and tampons too.
I used to be on Microgynon and due to being on medication for a while I had to take many packs back to back, but I started to get headaches, cramps and stomch aches all the time. Whether or not it was due to my body not liking Microgynon anymore or if it was due to the constant pill taking I have no idea, but I think you should talk to your GP or family planning advisor just to make sure.
Reply 5
I've been to the doc only this morning and she put me on Microgynon 30 - I'm going travelling soon and she said there is no medical reason why you can't take them back to back for long periods of time, but that most women have a break at least every 3 months just to give their body a break from all the pills! :smile:
Reply 6
ok. thanks guys!
Reply 7
If you're 19 and at uni, does the pill come on the NHS?
Reply 8
Fyska
If you're 19 and at uni, does the pill come on the NHS?

Contraception is always free :smile:
Reply 9
Im on Microgynon 30 and my doctor advised me that you can take as many as you want theoretically, but she advises no more than 3 without a break.

I would confirm this personally as I start to feel poorly after 4 packs run together. But a friend of mine has gone up to a year.
Reply 10
Hmm...I don't really think it's healthy to go months without having a break. You shouldn't make a habit of it - periods are natural and you shouldn't restrict them :s
My mum knows someone who has been on the same pill for 4 years and hasn't had one break, EVER. That is appalling. Can you imagine if/when she comes off it, the period she will have...My lord. Thing is though she could have all sorts wrong with her - I dunno what the long term effects are, etc.
Some people are just stupid.
Reply 11
Katia
My mum knows someone who has been on the same pill for 4 years and hasn't had one break, EVER. That is appalling. Can you imagine if/when she comes off it, the period she will have...My lord. Thing is though she could have all sorts wrong with her - I dunno what the long term effects are, etc.

Hey, Helenia, as you're a med person, can you tell me what would happen if you were skipping the break as we've described and became pregnant ? Would the hormones harm the baby? What if you were pregnant, didn't know, and took the pill regularly and properly with the breaks? Would you still bleed or not? Random question but its suddenly popped up in my crazy brain!
Katia
Hmm...I don't really think it's healthy to go months without having a break. You shouldn't make a habit of it - periods are natural and you shouldn't restrict them :s

There was an article in the paper the other day about the Pill decreasing women's sex drives as it reduces the amount of testosterone and the sex hormone. It said women who have been on the Pill for a long time, and women who take it a lot (I guess they mean skipping breaks :confused: ) experience the lack of sex drive up to a year after they have come off the Pill.
Reply 13
My nurse is pretty against this, but I've always done it. I take 3 packs in a row and that suits me fine. Any more than that and I tend to get break-through bleeding.
Reply 14
I was thinking of skipping a break from microgynnon 30 ( now Rigevidon) and didn't know it was such a common thing to do. Looked into it and the NHS seems to think it's perfectly fine up to three packs but after this you can have side effects. Although was very shocked that some doctors seem to almost recommend it. Don't quote me on this but one doctor even says that breaks between pills increase the risk of pregnancy if your egg gets released before you take your first pill. http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/wellbeing/womens-health/the-5-contraception-myths-every-woman-needs-to-know
From what I read it seems that it depends what hormones that you're putting in your body. Some don't actually cause a build up in the uterus so periods seem a bit pointless. Although with a lot of pills the build up could cause heavier periods.
Personally I'll probably always have breaks because my periods don't cause me many problems but I found it interesting that there's many differences of opinion by doctor's on this. I guess a real doctor is probably better than most of the things you read online but it's interesting to know.
This post honestly just saved my birthday from being ruined, thank you 😘
I think I've accidently taken 4packs, and I'm now bleeding... I still have 9 pills left of the 4pack.. what shall I do?? Carry on the pack or stop?
Reply 17
It's perfectly safe to skip periods I have actually been advised to do so by my doctor due to a medical condition that causes extreme period pain.I have been told to go 3 months no break at a time .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending