The Student Room Group

How difficult is it to take plants to uni?

I have 4 plants (Peace Lily, Flaming Katy, Apple Mint, and English Ivy) and I'm holding off buying or planting anymore until I get to uni since I imagine it's difficult to safely take that many. So anyone got any tips for transporting them without spilling soil or damaging the plants?
Hi,

You have come to the right place!

I have 11 houseplants in my room at university now, and will be having the same issue when I leave for Summer.

To be honest, they usually travel fairly well if you squeeze them in tightly next to each other in the footwell of a car, so they don't really have enough room to topple over and spill/get damaged.
Alternatively, you could buy a shallow sided crate/box of some kind, then pack them into it and put this in the boot of the car.

These tips only work if you are travelling by car, I have no idea how I'd do it if on a train/bus!

Hope this (kind of) help!

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Original post by UnculturedSwine
I have 4 plants (Peace Lily, Flaming Katy, Apple Mint, and English Ivy) and I'm holding off buying or planting anymore until I get to uni since I imagine it's difficult to safely take that many. So anyone got any tips for transporting them without spilling soil or damaging the plants?

Hi there, :smile:

It's great to hear that you are looking to take plants to university, it's important to make your personal space your own. Wherever you are going to university they may have events such as fairs where you can buy some new plants. Here at UCLan we have a craft and food fair which is held throughout the year ran by our SU which has plant stalls. There may also be local markets in the area you are staying which sell plants. :smile:

Best wishes,
Sarah
Original post by UnculturedSwine

Hi there,
As the other posters have mentioned, it depends on what form of transport you're planning on taking. When I moved to uni, my parents drove me up so I was able to pack my plants in a tray that I had with me on the back seat. Alternatively, you could put them in the footwell as someone suggested.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending