The Student Room Group

I've been offered a job... what on earth happens now?

I've accepted my first 'real' job and am now alternating between 'so happy I'm grinning at strangers' and 'absolutely terrified'. I'm terrified about my first day there, from trivial stuff like where do I eat lunch to what if I'm rubbish? It's an amazing job/opportunity as well, so I feel like a bit of a cheat for landing it so easily.

I mean obviously my first step is to eat loads of pizza and drink cheap champagne.

But then what? I'm confused about... you know... how you actually start a proper, grown-up job. :eek:

I know where to be and when, but... argh! Seriously, what if they just sit me down at a desk and tell me to get on with it?
Reply 1
I'm sure that they will take you on a little tour so you know where everything is. They will then probably pair you up with someone that's got some experience untill you've got hang of what you're doing.
Reply 2
First day of my first job: loads of training.
First day of my second job: right in at the deep end.

Really depends on the job, where are you working?
Reply 3
Make sure you ask questions if you are unsure - better to take the time to ask than make a big screw up and have to do it all again.

Polish up on your IT skills if you can.

Show an interest and be enthusiastic.

Oh and get to know your colleagues - don't alienate yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Ozzy2257
I'm sure that they will take you on a little tour so you know where everything is. They will then probably pair you up with someone that's got some experience untill you've got hang of what you're doing.

Original post by Cicerao
First day of my first job: loads of training.
First day of my second job: right in at the deep end.

Really depends on the job, where are you working?

Original post by Lell
Make sure you ask questions if you are unsure - better to take the time to ask than make a big screw up and have to do it all again.

Polish up on your IT skills if you can.

Show an interest and be enthusiastic.

Oh and get to know your colleagues - don't alienate yourself.

Hahah. Thanks everyone, all excellent advice really-- I'm just shamefully overexcited. It's a really small office and a very intensive working life so I'm thinking it'll probably be 'right in at the deep end'.

I'm working in politics. :ninja:

Actually that makes it sound like I'm working for MI6. I'm really not, it's not even in governance or party political, but it's in Westminster village.
Reply 5
I'm sure you will be fine. The first day is the hardest.
Reply 6
Original post by littlemoth
Hahah. Thanks everyone, all excellent advice really-- I'm just shamefully overexcited. It's a really small office and a very intensive working life so I'm thinking it'll probably be 'right in at the deep end'.

I'm working in politics. :ninja:

Actually that makes it sound like I'm working for MI6. I'm really not, it's not even in governance or party political, but it's in Westminster village.

You would say that, wouldn't you? :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending