The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
MrBroked
Fills me with great hope if my girlfriend gets into Cambridge then :p: I don't see how such short terms could break up a good relationship, especially if you see each other inbetween.

Eight weeks is an awfully long time... I think I rather annoyed my ex by talking non stop about how brilliant it was and talking about all these people she had never met. Weekends become rapidly filled with work, sport etc and meeting up gets delayed for one more week. one of you gets lonely and gets "comforted" by someone or you just start to get bored of phone calls or start to fancy someone else...
I haven't had a gf in cambridge. I have on the other hand pulled a variety of randoms. Quite a few of those I've been told about in the morning, and have not remembered. That scares me.

MB
Ticki
freshers' term relationships almost always break up.

generalisations!
Fortunately, my freshers' term relationship is still going strong!
:biggrin:
Reply 43
scarlet ibis
generalisations!
And one of the freshers' term relationships from Sidney is going strong in our third year, as is one in the year above me.
Reply 44
scarlet ibis
generalisations!

That's why she said "almost always" rather than always :wink: Some people do get lucky, others get very unlucky because they've formed a relationship so early in the year and so don't really have any experience of Cambridge as a singleton, all have mutual friends etc. It gets very messy for a lot of people.
yeah, i know. :tongue: Obviously things would have been very different for me had I not met Tel, but I don't regret it. Although I sometimes want some time just to be me in Cambridge, doing my own thing not answerable to anyone. Actually I'm getting that now - Tel's in taiwan for a week. so I'm :smile: :frown: at the moment!

btw Helen, what do you mean about mutual friends?
Reply 46
scarlet ibis
yeah, i know. :tongue: Obviously things would have been very different for me had I not met Tel, but I don't regret it. Although I sometimes want some time just to be me in Cambridge, doing my own thing not answerable to anyone. Actually I'm getting that now - Tel's in taiwan for a week. so I'm :smile: :frown: at the moment!

btw Helen, what do you mean about mutual friends?

Well, the people I know who started going out very early on, tended to make the same friends and have social circles which were either identical or very very overlapping. So when they broke up it affected their social life too, because they didn't want to go out with their friends if their ex was going to be there. It also made it harder for us if we wanted to stay friends with both people.

With the boy though, our social circles are completely separate; although we both get on well with each others' friends, they don't mix all together at all (mostly because they're in two different colleges and years - I'm sure they'd get on if they had to spend time with each other). If anything did go wrong between us, it would be entirely possible I'd never see him again, and that's just as scary and weird.
Reply 47
Ticki
freshers' term relationships almost always break up.

Really? :biggrin:

Ok I shouldn't be happy but it makes me a tad jealous to see so many people already paired up! :eek:
Reply 48
Adhsur
Really? :biggrin:

Ok I shouldn't be happy but it makes me a tad jealous to see so many people already paired up! :eek:

Erm, who are we talking about :P?!

Latest

Trending

Trending