The Student Room Group

Job interview 4 weeks before leaving for university

i've been looking for a job all summer, and finally i've been given an interview. But it's on the 11th, only 4 and a bit weeks before I leave for university.

and now i'm wondering whether I should even bother going to it?
if they find out that i'm going to university will they just reject me straight away, seeing it as just not worth the hassle?

i'd really love a job, i could do with the money before Uni, and i've never actually had a proper job. Only bits of work here and there.
and it'd be good to have a job whilst at uni as well, so i was thinking about the possibility of transferring to the store in the city where i'm going to uni?
but i'm unsure whether they'd do that after only employing me a couple of weeks before!
You will seriously ruffle some feathers if you accept a job and leave four weeks later.

If I were you I would go to the interview, use it as experience/practice, if they offer you a job, politely decline and say that you have accepted an alternative.
Original post by Cll_ws
i've been looking for a job all summer, and finally i've been given an interview. But it's on the 11th, only 4 and a bit weeks before I leave for university.

and now i'm wondering whether I should even bother going to it?
if they find out that i'm going to university will they just reject me straight away, seeing it as just not worth the hassle?

i'd really love a job, i could do with the money before Uni, and i've never actually had a proper job. Only bits of work here and there.
and it'd be good to have a job whilst at uni as well, so i was thinking about the possibility of transferring to the store in the city where i'm going to uni?
but i'm unsure whether they'd do that after only employing me a couple of weeks before!

if it's a chain, i don't think there's any harm in seeing if you could transfer. go to the interview, see what happens, and then be straight with them. don't start work and then bugger off after a month!
Reply 3
Yeah, i mean i didn't want to just waste their time or anything.
So do you think i should just go to the interview, and tell them straight that i'm going to university in a few weeks? and tell them that if it's possible i'd still like to work for them, but at another store?

i guess there's a high chance that after i say that they just straight away know they're going to reject me! seeing as they're obviously interviewing for openings at that specific store. but worth a shot i guess.

it's at Asda, if anyone was curious!
Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah, i mean i didn't want to just waste their time or anything.
So do you think i should just go to the interview, and tell them straight that i'm going to university in a few weeks? and tell them that if it's possible i'd still like to work for them, but at another store?

i guess there's a high chance that after i say that they just straight away know they're going to reject me! seeing as they're obviously interviewing for openings at that specific store. but worth a shot i guess.

it's at Asda, if anyone was curious!

yeah do that. and say u can do holiday work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending