The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Summersun1
Ah I am too late then! How did you find it? I mean what store location did you apply for? but cool :smile: i did the sales assistant position! hope it goes well :smile: x

Okay, the call lasted for about ten minutes. The interviewer seemed really nice,and didn't ask that many questions.

She asked:
"Why have you chosen Debenhams?"
"What do you understand about your role?"
"What does excellent customer service mean to you?"
"How would you gett a customer to buy somethinng else with their meal?" (Probably the hardest)

And that's all i can remember! Good luck, if you haven't had yours already. She put me on hold for a few minutes then told me I passed onto the next stage (which was a relief because I really thought i hadn't done well, I was that nervous!). Hope all goes well:smile:
Reply 241
I work for Debenhams and I had the telephone interview. They said 10 days to me but I heard back 5 days later inviting me to a group interview. I used to have the question sheet for interviews (face to face) but I have misplaced it, I will have another look to see if I still have it for you guys.
Original post by ConstantlyStressed
Okay, the call lasted for about ten minutes. The interviewer seemed really nice,and didn't ask that many questions.

She asked:
"Why have you chosen Debenhams?"
"What do you understand about your role?"
"What does excellent customer service mean to you?"
"How would you gett a customer to buy somethinng else with their meal?" (Probably the hardest)

And that's all i can remember! Good luck, if you haven't had yours already. She put me on hold for a few minutes then told me I passed onto the next stage (which was a relief because I really thought i hadn't done well, I was that nervous!). Hope all goes well:smile:

Yeahh had pretty much the same experience/questions :smile: I was so nervous as well but managed to get through somehow though :smile: when is your group assessment then? :smile:
Original post by Tomcrease
I work for Debenhams and I had the telephone interview. They said 10 days to me but I heard back 5 days later inviting me to a group interview. I used to have the question sheet for interviews (face to face) but I have misplaced it, I will have another look to see if I still have it for you guys.

What did you have to do in your group interview?

Ah thanks, let me know if you do manage to find it, would be helpful! :smile: x
Yeahh had pretty much the same experience/questions :smile: I was so nervous as well but managed to get through somehow though :smile: when is your group assessment then? :smile:

Aw, well done! Mine's on Thursday 12th July, when's yours?
Reply 245
what store you guys got this position at? i start at debenhams next week !
Original post by ConstantlyStressed
Aw, well done! Mine's on Thursday 12th July, when's yours?

Thanks, you too! :smile: Oooh good luck! Mine is Tuesday, not looking forward to it!
Original post by phil2

Oxford St, what store you starting at? :smile: x
Reply 248
liverpool
Original post by phil2

I got this at Queen St. You?

Thanks, you too! :smile: Oooh good luck! Mine is Tuesday, not looking forward to it!

Yeah, I couldn't agree more! Well, good luck :smile:
Original post by phil2
liverpool

cool :smile: what role you doing?
Reply 251
a sales advisor role :smile: ill be on shoes !! bet it will get crazy ha.
Original post by phil2
a sales advisor role :smile: ill be on shoes !! bet it will get crazy ha.

haha probably so good luck! :smile: what sort of thing did you have to do in your group interview?
Reply 253
i didnt i just had a one to one :smile: was very relaxed, imagine it depends on who you get but the girls i had where lovly.
Reply 254
What did you have to do in your group interview?

Ah thanks, let me know if you do manage to find it, would be helpful! :smile: x

I don't know if the group interview is different for every store, but in mine we were in groups of 4/5 and had to write teamwork down the side of a piece of paper and find a word for each letter of teamwork to do with teamwork. You then had to stand up as a group and explain why each word you chose is important.

After the group one I then had to have a one to one interview, immediately after, not like 5 days or anything. I can remember a few of the questions that I saw off the sheet and they were the same ones that I was asked. I saw the sheet in December 2011 and I was interviewed in September 2010 and the questions hadn't changed since then, so they may well be still the same. However, again, I don't know if each store has different things.

Earlier in the group interview we were taken to a department of the store and allowed to just wander and make notes about things you like and don't like. In the one to one interview I was then asked "What did you like about the store?", "What do you think could be changed?" and other things like "How would your colleagues know if you were under pressure and needed help?" and "How would the customer know if you were under pressure?" All of these were on the interview sheet. I have no idea where I put it though :tongue:

Good luck.
Original post by Tomcrease
I don't know if the group interview is different for every store, but in mine we were in groups of 4/5 and had to write teamwork down the side of a piece of paper and find a word for each letter of teamwork to do with teamwork. You then had to stand up as a group and explain why each word you chose is important.

After the group one I then had to have a one to one interview, immediately after, not like 5 days or anything. I can remember a few of the questions that I saw off the sheet and they were the same ones that I was asked. I saw the sheet in December 2011 and I was interviewed in September 2010 and the questions hadn't changed since then, so they may well be still the same. However, again, I don't know if each store has different things.

Earlier in the group interview we were taken to a department of the store and allowed to just wander and make notes about things you like and don't like. In the one to one interview I was then asked "What did you like about the store?", "What do you think could be changed?" and other things like "How would your colleagues know if you were under pressure and needed help?" and "How would the customer know if you were under pressure?" All of these were on the interview sheet. I have no idea where I put it though :tongue:

Good luck.

Thank you for the information :smile: not really sure how all this is going to take 3-3 1/2 hours though seems really long! what store you at then? x
Reply 256
Thank you for the information :smile: not really sure how all this is going to take 3-3 1/2 hours though seems really long! what store you at then? x

I'm at Southsea store in Portsmouth, where are you going for? :smile:
Good luck to everyone with the interview at Oxford St tomorrow. Kinda nervous but I've done this interview before and worked at Debs before so hopefully it should be all good :biggrin:
Reply 258
Hey, just updating on the interview process. I had one recently and it's basically still the same procedure.

First you have to write 3 facts about yourself, 2 true 1 false and the group have to guess which is the lie.

Then you are put into smaller groups and asked to come up with words for each letter of CUSTOMER FOCUS, then read the out to the whole group. Words like, rapport, understanding, tentative are good

Then everyone is given a random item, which you then have to go on the shop floor and find an item to go with it. You then have to sell your items to the group. Make sure to make eye contact with the interviewers when selling, I got given a door stop lol, said things like, allows parents to hear whats going on in a child's room, allows smells to leave/enter the room, its bold so people can see it and not fall over etc, and I paired it with a door hanger so the child can have a personalied feel to their room, and have a sense of privacy, the interviewers seemed to like that lol.

Finally it's the one to one interviews. Here they ask about criminal convictions, hours of work etc. Why you want to work in debenhams? Who are their main competitors? What makes them stand out? How would you serve a customer? What do you think the job entails? An example of when you have had good customer service. What previous experience/skills will help in this role? Would you like to add anything else?

Some tips; Make sure to walk in smiling.
Try and make conversation with people.
Wear smart clothes but make yourself stand out, I wore a black dress, heels and a hot pink blazer, where most of the others were wearing black and white.
Be yourself and don't be nervous, it's actually a pretty chilled interview, feels like your at an induction day at college lol.

Position was as a sales advisor and I got the job!
Good luck to anyone with any recent interviews!
hey :smile: can you let me know when you hear back from your oxford st interview please! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending