The Student Room Group

Mental Health and Applications

This may seem like a bit of an obvious question, as I know most universities have a page somewhere on their site explaining their policy on students with disabilities, so I think my question is more closely regarding popular culture in the UK, and how it affects admissions decisions.

I'm in my fourth year at a good American university that happens to be very good in the program I'm taking (communication sciences and disorders with a specialization in speech-language pathology). I really want to do my postgrad work in linguistics in the UK, likely studying dialectology or an aspect of laboratory phonology.

The thing is, I'm bipolar, and had to miss spring, summer, and fall quarters last year while I recovered from a major episode of depression that was made worse by an initial misdiagnosis and wrong meds, that sort of thing. Looking at the three quarters before that shows a pretty accurate portrait of my slide into trouble: straight As suddenly dropping to Bs and finally Cs.

Now I'm back and doing fine, and my GPA, while not as high as it was, is still about 3.6, which isn't too bad especially since I have four more quarters to improve it (I'll be graduating in December of 06, rather than June, so I'm looking at applications for postgrad starting the 2007-2008 year). But even a cursory look at my transcript will make it obvious that something was going on, since it lists my absence as a medical leave.

That, finally, leads to my question: in the US, and I'm assuming probably in the UK, too, bipolar disorder is considered a disability and covered under laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act. Still, the stigma against mental illness is so strong that I would never disclose this on an application unless I had to. It's so strongly imprinted on our minds (Americans, at least), that most people treat me very differently after they know, even when they really think they are being totally fair. Is it the same in the UK? Obviously I need to offer some explanation, but do you think I'm better off sticking with a very bland, "I had a medical problem" type thing, or even lie? I know none of you are experts in, well, any of this, but you probably have a better idea than I do.

The universities I'm currently looking at are Oxbridge, Edinburgh, and York, btw, and I do have a variety of other qualifications, like research experience, that might make a difference. Sorry for the length-- I get wordy when I'm discussing something that makes me a little uncomfortable! :p:
I can't speak for it being included in the definition of disability etc. but I now exactly where you're coming from on the stigma aspect and hand on heart I'd say don't mention it. If you're sure they won't find out anyway I don't see any reason to make yourself a martyr for the sake of making mental illness more recognised and accepted. You could say you had glandular fever or something similarly long winded, something from which you recovered and your current grades are testament to the fact that you overcame that challenge.

That's my two cents worth anyway. Good luck with the applications :biggrin:
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I was kind of leaning that way, and it's a relief to get feedback from someone who's more unbiased. :biggrin:
My opinion is that you shouldn't mention it, if you don't want to. If they ask, however, its probably the best idea to tell them so that they can make an informed decision- after all, it would be silly to miss out on a place because of this, if the uni saw the grades and wasn't happy with judt "glandular fever" as an explanation.

ANd when you get in to uni, it is probably a really good idea to let them know. Some have a doctor or nurse attached who, form medical notes and so on, would probably know and find out about it. As well as this, there is a lot of support for for disabilities, and approaching these people is probably the best idea once you are in.
If it is classed as a disability in the UK I think you have to mention it on your ucas form. I know my friends diabetic and she did because thats classed as a disability. I'd just be honest, definitley not lie about it, I doubt a university would discriminate against you because of it
Reply 5
Mental illness is classed as a disability and is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act.
Reply 6
BellaCat
Mental illness is classed as a disability and is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act.

In the States?
Reply 7
Fluffy
In the States?

A tad late but yes, there are anti-discrimination laws pertaining to mental illness in the States. Do a search on Usenet.
Reply 8
BellaCat
A tad late but yes, there are anti-discrimination laws pertaining to mental illness in the States. Do a search on Usenet.

I know it's law in the US - but not under DDA :wink:
Reply 9
I think you do have to mention it, but it shouldn't harm your application. If anything, it might make some of them look more favourably on you, for fear of being sued but also because you have succeeded despite a setback.

However, Oxbridge probably won't give you any preferential treatment; it's only the academic potential they're concerned with.
I think you have to disclose it on the ucas app. when it askd for disabilities. I declared the fact i suffer from major depression, purely so they were aware of it.

Think the same may apply for bi-polar
Reply 11
Fluffy
I know it's law in the US - but not under DDA :wink:

I don't believe I suggested that it was. The O.P. was asking about the situation in the UK.
EDIT: Although I get the impression from U.S. peeps I've spoken to that anti-discrimination laws have more 'teeth' than they do in the U.K.
I can say that suffering a year of depression resulting in me needing a gap year after coming top of my second year has not yet affected any applications.
Reply 13
sesquipedalian
This may seem like a bit of an obvious question, as I know most universities have a page somewhere on their site explaining their policy on students with disabilities, so I think my question is more closely regarding popular culture in the UK, and how it affects admissions decisions.

I'm in my fourth year at a good American university that happens to be very good in the program I'm taking (communication sciences and disorders with a specialization in speech-language pathology). I really want to do my postgrad work in linguistics in the UK, likely studying dialectology or an aspect of laboratory phonology.

The thing is, I'm bipolar, and had to miss spring, summer, and fall quarters last year while I recovered from a major episode of depression that was made worse by an initial misdiagnosis and wrong meds, that sort of thing. Looking at the three quarters before that shows a pretty accurate portrait of my slide into trouble: straight As suddenly dropping to Bs and finally Cs.

Now I'm back and doing fine, and my GPA, while not as high as it was, is still about 3.6, which isn't too bad especially since I have four more quarters to improve it (I'll be graduating in December of 06, rather than June, so I'm looking at applications for postgrad starting the 2007-2008 year). But even a cursory look at my transcript will make it obvious that something was going on, since it lists my absence as a medical leave.

That, finally, leads to my question: in the US, and I'm assuming probably in the UK, too, bipolar disorder is considered a disability and covered under laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act. Still, the stigma against mental illness is so strong that I would never disclose this on an application unless I had to. It's so strongly imprinted on our minds (Americans, at least), that most people treat me very differently after they know, even when they really think they are being totally fair. Is it the same in the UK? Obviously I need to offer some explanation, but do you think I'm better off sticking with a very bland, "I had a medical problem" type thing, or even lie? I know none of you are experts in, well, any of this, but you probably have a better idea than I do.

The universities I'm currently looking at are Oxbridge, Edinburgh, and York, btw, and I do have a variety of other qualifications, like research experience, that might make a difference. Sorry for the length-- I get wordy when I'm discussing something that makes me a little uncomfortable! :p:

As a general principle I would suggest that you do not disclose your medical history on your UCAS form unless you cannot avoid it. Presumably you will be getting a reference from your present tutor? I would strongly recommend briefing him/her carefully about what to say; sometimes referees can be more candid about medical matters than they should be! There is no need for them to say more than "abc was on medical leave for x weeks/months" followed by some assessment of what your performance might have been had you not become ill. Incidentally, I would say the same if you had said your illness was physical rather than mental: your medical history is your business. If a university considering your application has questions about why your grades dipped when they did, they need to raise that directly with you, and you can then decide how much you want to say and when. Be truthful, but vague if you prefer!

The stigma issue - well it's idle to pretend it doesn't exist, although it is getting better. If you were applying for employment over here, you would certainly have rights under the DDA, but I'm not sure how this works for students. My suggestion would be to contact one of the national charities in the UK - MIND for example - or even the National Union of Students - and see what they advise. Clearly, a university can't make 'adjustments' for you unless they know what the issue is, but in the same way as people going into jobs don't generally discuss their medical history - whatever it is - with the boss, you shouldn't have to do so with the academic staff. The Student Health service in a university, however, is there to be a source of confidential support etc and a good one should be able to negotiate some leeway for you if you need it, without going into the gory detail.

Hope that's helpful - good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending