The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

parents - depends on the present really.. usually £40, maybe more, maybe less..

other family - around £20

friends - £10-15

the actual gift is more important than the price tage... if i saw something really grate for £10 that i knew my parents would love then I would get them that.
Yeah I agree price isn't what matters most, it's all about how much they'll like it. I usually don't have money but I have a little bit more this year so maybe up to £50-100 would be my upper limit.
Reply 3
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
Yeah I agree price isn't what matters most, it's all about how much they'll like it. I usually don't have money but I have a little bit more this year so maybe up to £50-100 would be my upper limit.

See I end up spending £400 plus and I am fed up.
My mums and boyfriends birthdays are both on Christmas eve so that is even more presents!
My boyfriend alone is costing me £220 (sending him to Amsterdam for birthday/Christmas)
Its not that I don't get the same back I just feel pressured.
I think ideally that is the perfect amount...
Reply 4
between £15-£20 each for mum, dad, brother.
i don't buy friends anything.
I would actually like to spend more on my family (£50 each?), but i am impoverished.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
my sister and her fiance:about £20 on each other, maybe a bit more depending on the present. me and my sister also buy each other a pair of pyjamas for christmas eve, which are usually around the £5-10 mark.

mum, dad, step-mum and step-dad: about £20 each or more if we are buying between us (dad and step-mum would actually go mad at us if we bought them an expensive gift as they know we dont have a lot of money, so as long as its something they will like and we put thought into it they are happy).

grandma and grandad: is usually about £10 as they never want much and usually ask for some nice biscuits or shower stuff, again they would kill us if we spent a lot on them.

2 nephews: about £10 for each of them, depending on what they want and the same again for the older ones birthday on new years eve.

niece (who was born about 3 hours ago actually): spent about £6 on a pink elephant for her

friends: i only buy a couple of my really close friends who mean a lot to me, the rest we just get together and have a damn good night to celebrate christmas, which everyone is happy with that as its too expensive otherwise (especially as a lot also have kids so christmas is expensive enough without having to pay for all our friends presents as well, a card and a few drinks together is good enough)

the rest of the family my mum pays for. we have a lot of cousins, aunts and uncles and its always been that mum buys them something from me and my sister, mainly due to us never having much money. these are just rough price ranges and as long as its something they will like or that they ask for it doesnt really matter to anyone how much it costs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stephmulz
See I end up spending £400 plus and I am fed up.
My mums and boyfriends birthdays are both on Christmas eve so that is even more presents!
My boyfriend alone is costing me £220 (sending him to Amsterdam for birthday/Christmas)
Its not that I don't get the same back I just feel pressured.
I think ideally that is the perfect amount...

Ahh that's crazy. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, I'm sure your boyfriend would be happy with something less than a holiday! :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
Ahh that's crazy. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, I'm sure your boyfriend would be happy with something less than a holiday! :tongue:

That is true. Its just he bought me a camera and I feel like I have to match it. After this year the price will be coming down! I just love the feel of Christmas, can not stand all the presents!
In total £600. My boyfriend puts in 300 and so do I. We give each other 100 and then the rest goes on his family and mine. We have 3 nephews and one niece they get 20 each. His mum we spend 50 pon and then whatevers left we divide by how many people there are and spend that on them. We buy for 30 people
Reply 9
I spend 300€ in total on my family, (Mum, dad, grandparents).
Reply 10
Hm.

£110 on dad, mum and step-dad.
£80 on two sisters.

However this year I'll have a boyfriend for Christmas so that tacks on another £100+ so probably will be around £300 this year. Thank god I have a job over this Christmas period :s-smilie:
My parents are really difficult to buy for. I usually get them CDs, books etc that they ask for/express an interest in.

I usually spend the most amount of money on my sister. She often wants perfume, a dress, something along those lines.

For my friends, it varies. Close friends get jewellery, books, CDs or something they really want/need. For general friends, either buying a big tin of chocolates to share out, buying small tubes of their favourite sweets or making biscuits.
Reply 12
Original post by Stephmulz
I often find people say I buy expensive presents for my family/boyfriend & his family /friends.

How much averagely do you spend on other people during the festive season? :smile:

I've previously been spending about £300-500 on christmas presents for mum, dad, stepmum, brother and sister.
i get dead panicy at christmas trying to get the right gifts for people. i mean why do all shops assume men like golf, grooming and mosterising their skin. (sorry for my spelling)

mad.

about £35-50 for boyfriend

£15 sister
£20 mum
£20 dad

just depends really,
This year it'll be different because I'm at uni and have no money.

Last year when I was at home and had a part-time job, I probably spent around £60 on my Mum; only £10 on my Dad (my Mum normally buys my Dad's presents, not sure why XD). I probably spent about £20 on my best friend and my other friends decided we weren't going to buy presents for each other.
Spend about £30 on each parent, and about £75 on my little brother.
Don't buy for friends. This year could be more expensive though as I'm seeing someone who has a birthday on 13th Dec, really hope I don't have to get him presents because my overdraft situtation is not a good one.
Reply 16
Not too much, last year I spent loads on them, like £30 each and that was for both my parents and 3 siblings. But I spent more on my mum, because I wanted to treat her and make sure she had a nice christmas after all the ones she's done for us.

This year I won't be able to spend so much, and my flatmates have suggested we do a secret santa with a £5 max spend so we don't end up spending loads to buy everyone presents.
Not a huge amount. About £20 on each of my parents and brothers. More if there is something in particular to buy. I'm a poor student though, so no one expects me to spend more. It's already a lot and something I have to consciously think about in advance!
not nearly as much as most people on this thread it seems...

Me and my girlfriend usually spend about £80 on eachother
I spend between £10 - 15 (maybe up to 20 if I see something good) on Parents and brother and sister, that's about it really.
Lol I won my parents present in a pub raffle last month

Latest

Trending

Trending