The Student Room Group

How do spiders get in my bedroom when I don't open any windows?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unicornsoncrack
you know scientists say that you're never more than about 3 feet away from a spider...enjoy

Thought that was about rats?
They can get in through tiny holes in the floorboards etc. - Also mice can do stuff like this. Holes you didn't even know existed.

Best advice is - when you see one, try and grow accustomed to them and get used to them, thereby negating your fear of them. They are, for example, remarkable creatures. They will also contribute to getting rid of insects such as wasps, flies etc. which are less desirable to have around.

The spider = your "caretaker" if you leave it alone.
Reply 42
carried in on your clothing or in your bag etc
Cos they're freaky legged fools. :frown:
Original post by FallonSmith
I know that they like the bathroom. But is there any ways to prevent them from coming in? Spider spray? :tongue:
Spraying something like Raid along the points of entry creates a repellent.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Scientists claim that on average we eat up to 4 spiders a yr whilst asleep :drool: ...hmm, no wonder i'm never hungry in the morning :tongue:
Reply 46
Spiders always find a way of creeping into bedrooms :frown: I hate them! They probably come in through the gap under the door. Whenever I see a spider I let good ol' Henry hoover deal with it. :h: Worst is when moths fly in through the window at night, takes me forever trying to catch them.. (or squash them with whatever I can find)
Original post by Truth94
Scientists claim that on average we eat up to 4 spiders a yr whilst asleep :drool: ...hmm, no wonder i'm never hungry in the morning :tongue:

Yeah but "Up to" could mean that nobody ever eats any spiders at all, except for one person who ate 4 spiders.

It's like when shops say "You could save up to 50%".
Reply 48
Original post by I<3LAMP
I honestly did and it was nasty. I know you don't like them so I'll spare you the details. :sad:

Oh dear. That must have frightened you. It would have done if it was me. I've seen a little creature crawling along my pillow before. That was disgusting.
Reply 49
Original post by tsrstar
Spiders always find a way of creeping into bedrooms :frown: I hate them! They probably come in through the gap under the door. Whenever I see a spider I let good ol' Henry hoover deal with it. :h: Worst is when moths fly in through the window at night, takes me forever trying to catch them.. (or squash them with whatever I can find)

Moths freak me out even more so than spiders. My bedroom is full of them at summer.
Reply 50
Moths freak me out even more so than spiders. My bedroom is full of them at summer.

It's the tiny moths that scare me. The big ones aren’t a problem, you can easily squash them/catch them/ or in my case suck them up in the hoover but the little ones hide and fly at your face when the lights off and your using your phone in the dark. :afraid:

I'm such a baby when it comes to creepy little insects. Hand me a lizard or snake and i'm fine, but bring an ant near me and i'll run away screaming.
Reply 51
Cracks in the walls

Original post by Bill_Gates
You need to set up spider traps. I'll come around your bedroom give you a proper quote :wink:

Bet it won't require a Cash deposit nether eh? :rolleyes:
Be grateful you're not in Australia :wink:

Best thing you can do, OP is have a large class bowl and sheet of cardboard within handy reach, if you spider, get it in the bowl, slide cardboard underneath, open window, give the little critter a break by throwing it out of the window (by sliding the bowl swiftly off the edge of the cardboard) . When approaching, use smooth slow movement. Don't panic when you flip the bowl over them, try not to cut off their legs with the edge of the bowl.

You'll find with practice you get really nifty at this. And you'll be giving the little things a break, rather than choosing to destroy them. They should be respected if you can, and if you get one out the window rather than squashing it, you kind of get a good feeling about yourself.

It's difficult, because you're having to battle your fear all the time, but there's no short cut to the gaining of a bit of experience.
Reply 53
So I'm pretty scared of spiders but lately quite a couple of them have been cropping up around my room on my walls and ceiling. I don't open my windows during the day or at night because of this. At summer I have to have them open as the heat is too dry, hence there are lots more bugs in my room, but I can't really understand it leading up to winter.

I don't leave any food or drinks around, only a glass of water at night. I've sprayed fly spray in the past but I don't know if that really helps that much. Does anybody have an answer for this?

For some reason, the first thought that came in my head after reading the title was 'follow the spiders' (harry potter :tongue:)
Original post by frankieboy
Yeah but "Up to" could mean that nobody ever eats any spiders at all, except for one person who ate 4 spiders.

It's like when shops say "You could save up to 50%".

That's not how averages work.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That's not how averages work.

Yeah but it wasn't really a proper average was it, to say that "On average, Up to 4" - the proper use of the average is killed by saying "up to".
Original post by frankieboy
Yeah but it wasn't really a proper average was it, to say that "On average, Up to 4" - the proper use of the average is killed by saying "up to".

True, it is such an awful choice of words. I read it as 4 being their highest calculated possible value at first, but upon properly thinking about it it could mean so many different things. Which annoys me :tongue:
Reply 57
Favourite TSR question I have seen for a while
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
True, it is such an awful choice of words. I read it as 4 being their highest calculated possible value at first, but upon properly thinking about it it could mean so many different things. Which annoys me :tongue:

Hahaa yeah. Actually thinking about it in a slightly more abstract way, if you say "On average, up to 4" - could that even mean that sometimes people eat more than 4? If you think about it. Thereby rendering the whole statement completely meaningless :biggrin: ?
Original post by whyumadtho
Spraying something like Raid along the points of entry creates a repellent.

Off topic: But why is your avatar so disgusting?

And OP are you surprised by this? If you are don't be since there are many different ways a spider can enter your home apart from the window. Things such as air vents, gaps under front doors, cracked floorboards and holes in the wall where something is attached to spring to mind.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending