The Student Room Group

I lost over 60 lbs/28 kg (pics before/after)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I Kant Spall
Yeah I love the Toon, love Northumberland, and love the Geordies. I'm listening to the FA cup game against Blackburn as I type.

:h::adore::awesome::banana:

i was at the man u game on wed, epic epic night!
Reply 101
With the advent of a new year, I thought I'd bring this thread back up for anyone making a fitness-based New Year's Resolution to see (and hopefully inspire). I'd also like to apologize to to anyone who left me notes of encouragement as I let this thread almost die and didn't reply. I also added a couple pictures in the OP since I grew a bit taller, continued my fitness journey, and grew my hair! Now that I have some free time, I'll answer some questions posed to me in the last few pages:

I used to force myself to go to the gym. I prepared my gym bag at night before I slept in order to minimize any excuses I may make in the morning. However, I've gradually started to enjoy going to the gym! Once you include going to the gym as part of your routine, you'll be powerless to break it.

I ate filling foods with lots of protein like cottage cheese, oats, Greek yogurt, chicken, and fish. I ate food for nourishment, not pleasure. I did anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of cardio at the gym and burned approximately 200 calories, according to the cardio machine.

For the first few months, yeah, you're right! I gave in to my vices, but not often. Once a week I'd eat out and have a taco or something like that. Afterwards, I felt awful about being so weak and powerless so I resolved to never do it again. For the entire year of 2011, I didn't have any soda, cake, burgers, donuts, ice cream, potato chips/crisps, and other junk food. I lost my cravings entirely.

I was 18 or 19 and still growing. I'm sure the healthy diet and physical activity helped me to grow even taller.

I threw up on my first day too. I worked incredibly hard that day and my body wasn't used to it. Eating or not eating before a workout is fairly irrelevant... some people will say you need to, others will not. I never ate before the gym as it gave me even more motivation to go to the gym and then afterwards I'll be able to eat. A rewards system, you know? :biggrin:

I get those comments all the time too, especially from my (overweight) family. I've noticed that overweight people detest me now because I'm a constant reminder to them that they can improve themselves if they tried. I'm a reminder of what they could be. 140 is fine for your height, especially if you have a muscular body composition.

I kept a picture of myself at my absolute fattest on my door as a motivational influence. I became enraged and filled with passion whenever I saw it. I recommend this simple tip to anyone! Not only is it a reminder of all the progress one makes, but it also acts as a catalyst for even further improvement.

yeah good point .. I am slightly muscular but am happy with my body now really .
Reply 102
You remind me of Enea Bardi ilConte now!!

Great weight loss!!
Well done :ymca:

I've putted on weight :shifty: in the last year so aiming to lose 30 or 40 Ibs

I get those comments all the time too, especially from my (overweight) family. I've noticed that overweight people detest me now because I'm a constant reminder to them that they can improve themselves if they tried. I'm a reminder of what they could be. 140 is fine for your height, especially if you have a muscular body composition.

I think you are skinny now, it's not just overweight people detesting you. Your fingers are tiny. My brother also went from being overweight to him spending all the time in the gym and not eating basically anything other than protein. He's got muscles all right, but he's skinny! You just have to look at a man's fingers and waist to see that. :smile:
Original post by cjtj
You remind me of Enea Bardi ilConte now!!

Great weight loss!!

Thanks, although I don't know who he is! The name is obviously Italian, and the resemblance is not such a coincidence since I am of predominantly Italian heritage.

Original post by Indieboohoo
Well done :ymca:

I've putted on weight :shifty: in the last year so aiming to lose 30 or 40 Ibs

You can do it, but stick to smaller goals at first! If I started out wanting to lose 60 lbs, I probably would not have made it that far.

Original post by Shadowplay
I think you are skinny now, it's not just overweight people detesting you. Your fingers are tiny. My brother also went from being overweight to him spending all the time in the gym and not eating basically anything other than protein. He's got muscles all right, but he's skinny! You just have to look at a man's fingers and waist to see that. :smile:

I've never been skinny before so it's an unfamiliar feeling. I love being able to sneak behind people without them realizing I was even there! Little things like being able to wear anything and everything comfortably or having more room for myself on the bus/tram are immensely rewarding. :tongue:

I obviously won't stay in this shape forever but for now, I like the idea of being a skinny, not-so-manly teenager.

Quick Reply

Latest