The Student Room Group

Should the UK have a Monarchy?? Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gladders

Why am I repeating myself? Appointing the PM in a politically neutral manner; offering impartial advice to the government; signifying Royal Assent to legislation...

Mr 'gladders' sounds like a monarchy teacher, no need to upset. My commentary the other day upset him(her) too and he was about to send me back to France, if I prove I don't like or understand the UK monarchy. :smile:) chill Mr or Mrs gladders.
Hardly! The point stands: people know what republicanism is, and it bears enormous similarities with our present system, with no real benefits beyond what we already have. It would be a highly expensive image change. That's about it.

I'll repeat my point again: you insist the British monarchy is supported by a common conspiracy not to expose it to faults, but you don't hold the French republican model to that same charge. You're using double standards.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I did not write the word conspiracy here and I do not believe that. This system goes beyond any conspiracy because it is a make believe since early ages.

Now, please answer this question: if you think this system is so good, then why do you have so many poor people in this country? Please don't take it as an attack!
Also, why did Ireland preferredto become a republic? I really want to understand this for a long time.

But, your comments show very high dedication and belief in the system without questioning if the republican system would work in your country.
The similarities you see with Germany or France are only in your imagination. You want to see it that way. I, for example, would not want to see people for life in half of my parliament. Neither me, nor my people.
Also, by associating Cromwell with the idea of republicanism proves the indoctrination that is practiced here. Cromwell proved to be a dictator who used the idea of the time of whatever they thought a republic would be, but definitely his intention was not to be a democratic republican. Nowadays, the British population is EDUCATED enough to distinguish between a dictator and a democratic person, isn't it? Cromwell's madness is clearly used by the system to block change and new ideas by infusing fear. But, they are just manipulation strategies, don't call it conspiracy, but the system is battling to preserve itself. In the same time, it doubts the capacity of the British people to elect someone of their free choice! Do you think, the British people are capable or not , Mr gladders? Would you be capable of distinguishing between a scam dictator and a democratic person in this century? There is also a government system that limits the powers of any elected leader, a balanced and smart one.

You want proof that it will work because you are afraid of change. But, I guess the younger generation has the right to question and make a change if so they wish.

The only thing you do in here, since the beginning of this post, is to block any intention of challenging the system by presenting light interpretations . Also, twisting the reality by comparisons with other countries in the EU which have completely different effects, as systems. Believe me, any German and I, as a French, I am laughing at your flawed comparisons with our systems.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chainreaction
Mr 'gladders' sounds like a monarchy teacher, no need to upset. My commentary the other day upset him(her) too and he was about to send me back to France, if I prove I don't like or understand the UK monarchy. :smile:) chill Mr or Mrs gladders.

It annoyed me because it was an unhelpful comment denigrating people like me. You insulted me.

You claim that the UK is 'brainwashed' into supporting the monarchy. I have put it to you that by this logic, I can claim France is 'brainwashed' against monarchy. I don't believe this myself, but you have refrained from backing up or justifying your claim.

It's the sign of someone who knows he's on logically thin ice; don't do it again.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I did not write the word conspiracy here and I do not believe that. This system goes beyond any conspiracy because it is a make believe since early ages.

Nonetheless you still claim that the UK is brainwashed; going to produce any evidence for this? And evidence to demonstrate that France isn't?

I'm all for agreeing to disagree, but you've taken this to absurdities.

Now, please answer this question: if you think this system is so good, then why do you have so many poor people in this country? Please don't take it as an attack!

What's that go to do with the monarchy? Are you arguing that republicans have fewer poor people? Evidence, please.

The number of poor people is to do with the decisions our government make - you know, the ones who make the decisions and rely on the support of the people through the House of Commons?

Also, why did Ireland preferredto become a republic? I really want to understand this for a long time.

Ireland wanted to become a republic because it was sick to the back teeth of dreadfully poor British rule. They felt that the monarchy was a symbol of that poor British rule. Mind you, it took them almost two decades to remove the monarchy after independence.

But, your comments show very high dedication and belief in the system without questioning if the republican system would work in your country.
The similarities you see with Germany or France are only in your imagination. You want to see it that way. I, for example, would not want to see people for life in half of my parliament. Neither me, nor my people.

That's fine, if you want to. I'm not demanding everyone drum to my beat. It's up to you.

I have given you reasons why the House of Lords works. All you have given in response is 'you're wrong' without giving any alternatives. The government is currently trying to figure out a way to replace the House of Lords with an elected chamber - it's highly unlikely to succeed, because every attempt at reform threatens to undermine the current good performance of the present House of Lords.

Also, by associating Cromwell with the idea of republicanism proves the indoctrination that is practiced here. Cromwell proved to be a dictator who used the idea of the time of whatever they thought a republic would be, but definitely his intention was not to be a democratic republican. Nowadays, the British population is EDUCATED enough to distinguish between a dictator and a democratic person, isn't it? Cromwell's madness is clearly used by the system to block change and new ideas by infusing fear.

Uh, no. Please give evidence of educational texts that spell out 'Cromwell bad = monarchy good'. If there are any, I bet you any money you want that it would only say so in the context of people in the 17th Century.

But, they are just manipulation strategies, don't call it conspiracy, but the system is battling to preserve itself. In the same time, it doubts the capacity of the British people to elect someone of their free choice! Do you think, the British people are capable or not , Mr gladders? Would you be capable of distinguishing between a scam dictator and a democratic person in this century? There is also a government system that limits the powers of any elected leader, a balanced and smart one.

I don't doubt the British people can elect a president - I doubt the performance of the winning candidates. I put it to you again do you doubt the capacity of the French people to elect good judges of law? It's the same logic.

You want proof that it will work because you are afraid of change. But, I guess the younger generation has the right to question and make a change if so they wish.

Really? That's the best you can come up with? :colondollar:

I am comfortable with change. I do, however, think change should be demonstrably worthwhile. Otherwise, why not attempt every kind of reckless change proposed, without thinking?

Why not change the tricolor of France with the Italian tricolor? Do you want proof that will improve France? If you do want proof, does that mean you fear change too?

The only thing you do in here, since the beginning of this post, is to block any intention of challenging the system by presenting light interpretations . Also, twisting the reality by comparisons with other countries in the EU which have completely different effects, as systems. Believe me, any German and I, as a French, I am laughing at your flawed comparisons with our systems.

Please explain how I have given a flawed comparison.
Except that the PM is already too busy for these functions already - and as he's a clearly political person, his ability to act as a symbol for all or most of the country is questionable.

As I said - if it were that easy, other countries - and plenty have written new constitutions in the last few decades - would have made the attempt.

Why am I repeating myself? Appointing the PM in a politically neutral manner; offering impartial advice to the government; signifying Royal Assent to legislation...

Appointing the PM in a politically neutral manager- Hardly needed, all she does is confrims who has won
Offering impartial advice to government-An example would be useful as I question the very fabric of this point,
Royal assent-again pointless, give me one example in recent times of royal assent not being granted on a piece of legislation, harly a check and balance is it
Original post by charliemac41
Appointing the PM in a politically neutral manager- Hardly needed, all she does is confrims who has won

And when the winner is unclear? We may be heading into a period of prolongated minority or coalition government - especially if the voting system is finally changed. Many monarchs in European countries have a central role in precipitating negotiations between potential coalition partners.

Offering impartial advice to government-An example would be useful as I question the very fabric of this point.

Well, the debates are confidential, and the advice non-binding on the government (and rightly so), but there are numerous memoirs by Prime Ministers who have remarked on the Queen's extensive knowledge and insightfulness - leaders from this country and others.

Royal assent-again pointless, give me one example in recent times of royal assent not being granted on a piece of legislation, harly a check and balance is it

Not pointless. Royal Assent should be seen as a means of authorization that the legislation in question has without doubt been thoroughly scrutinized and passed through both Chambers of Parliament fully.

Moreover there is an argument that the monarch would be obliged to veto a law that threatened to undermine the democratic nature of this country (for example, one to declare a state of emergency and suspend Parliament for an indefinite time)
It annoyed me because it was an unhelpful comment denigrating people like me. You insulted me.

You claim that the UK is 'brainwashed' into supporting the monarchy. I have put it to you that by this logic, I can claim France is 'brainwashed' against monarchy. I don't believe this myself, but you have refrained from backing up or justifying your claim.

It's the sign of someone who knows he's on logically thin ice; don't do it again.

hey, I did not claim anything like that. Again you imply ideas from your own interpretation. I am not responsible for your interpretation, only you are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay, not brainwashed, but you claimed that there is royalist propaganda in this country. Amounts to a similar claim.
Okay, not brainwashed, but you claimed that there is royalist propaganda in this country. Amounts to a similar claim.

Your arguments don't stand (even when you say to change the France tricolor with the Italian one, that is getting the discussion into a completely different territory, even implying war) :smile:)wt Italy eventually (I use this argument to prove how you draw conclusions the way you like to). What I said is that you deny any opportunity to make a change because you don't have the proof. Is like anyone shouldn't swim or fly, because they don't know if they are going to die. Because it would be called phobia or something else that has to do with the functionality of the brain.
You have no proof that the actual system is the best. What is your proof? France had monarchy and we don't want it anymore. You did not have democratic republicanism, how do you knwo if it's wanted or not? And when are you stopping using other countries as examples as proof for your system? You are just being subjective, picking and choosing elements of other systems to complete your puzzle. I am not a psychologist, but there is a breakage there in the way you construct your subjective reality.
I find it futile to continue talking here, unless you give me a satisfactory answer about the link between the corporation of london and the preservation of this system as it is (which you sustain clearly).
(edited 12 years ago)
Your arguments don't stand (even when you say to change the France tricolor with the Italian one, that is getting the discussion into a completely different territory, even implying war) wt Italy eventually. What I said is that you deny any opportunity to make a change because you don't have the proof. Is like anyone shouldn't swim, because they don't know if they are going to die.

Er, no. That's a terrible analogy. It's more like buying a new set of jeans or trainers because everyone's got that brand, while the present pair you have are perfectly good and you can save your money and effort dealing with something worthwhile.

You have no proof that the actual system is the best. What is your proof? France had monarchy and we don't want it anymore. You did not have democratic republicanism, how do you knwo if want it or not? And when are stopping using other countries as examples as proof for your system? You are just being subjective, picking and choosing elements of other systems to complete your puzzle. I doubt some sort of madness there, sorry I have to write it. I am not a psychologist, but there is a breakage there in the way you construct your subjective reality.

We do have democratic republicanism. We just happen to have a monarchy alongside it. The people have absolute control over the government already through the House of Commons

You do not have proof removing the monarchy would improve our government in any way, shape or form. I, however, have given you examples as to how it could in fact be hampered by having a president.

In order to persuade us to adopt republicanism, you have to provide real, tangible benefits for the British to be interested in it. So far republicans in this thread and others have failed to provide it, and they have failed in the wider country too.

I find it futile to continue talking here, unless you give me a satisfactory answer about the link between the corporation of london and the preservation of this system as it is (which you sustain clearly).

What are you talking about? What does the corporation of London have to do with anything?

We do have democratic republicanism. We just happen to have a monarchy alongside it. The people have absolute control over the government already through the House of Commons well, that is really abnormal: your country is a constiutional monarchy, not a republic. In order tohave democratic republicanism you have to reform the upper house (make it elected or appointed for short periods of time) and the head of state (make it limited for short periods of time, elected or appointed)

You do not have proof removing the monarchy would improve our government in any way, shape or form. I, however, have given you examples as to how it could in fact be hampered by having a president. These examples are suppositions, not proofs

In order to persuade us to adopt republicanism, you have to provide real, tangible benefits for the British to be interested in it. So far republicans in this thread and others have failed to provide it, and they have failed in the wider country too.They are not real republicans then. If they are born and raised in Britain it is hard not to be half monarchist, even if they wouldn't want it.

What are you talking about? What does the corporation of London have to do with anything?I am talking about the link between the people in the upper house (even the lower house) and the people in the square mile. Rumors are saying they are interconnected and it is to their benefit to preserve the system and not have a written constitution. You know the city is a financial haven, don't you?
well, that is really abnormal: your country is a constiutional monarchy, not a republic. In order tohave democratic republicanism you have to reform the upper house (make it elected or appointed for short periods of time) and the head of state (make it limited for short periods of time, elected or appointed)

That's fundamentally untrue. Your definition of republicanism and democracy is too narrow.

What part of 'the people control the country through the House of Commons' don't you understand?

On the contrary, countries with elected Upper Houses and elected Heads of State risk undermining democracy because they create institutions which challenge the people's power too strongly.

These examples are suppositions, not proofs

They are examples. Good enough for me, and good enough for the majority of this country, too.

They are not real republicans then. If they are born and raised in Britain it is hard not to be half monarchist, even if they wouldn't want it.

There you go again. You fail to persuade, therefore you try to explain it away as some kind of indoctrination. It angers you that people are capable of thinking differently from you, doesn't it?

]I am talking about the link between the people in the upper house (even the lower house) and the people in the square mile. Rumors are saying they are interconnected and it is to their benefit to preserve the system and not have a written constitution. You know the city is a financial haven, don't you?

I don't deny that there are a large number of industrialists in the House of Lords, but then the very purpose of the Upper House is to give voice to captains of industry, alongside other fields of expertise. There's more than enough lawyers and judges in there, and plenty of scientists, doctors, charity workers, culturists, defence chiefs and many more in there too.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :wink:

The House of Commons is also replete with bankers, for that matter. I don't doubt the French parliament has similar characteristics.

As for your comment on the unwritten constitution - I have no idea where you're getting this from. On the contrary: our unwritten constitution has been our greatest asset in fighting special interests. The codified constitution of America has failed to prevent it being ensnared by big business.
That's fundamentally untrue. Your definition of republicanism and democracy is too narrow.

What part of 'the people control the country through the House of Commons' don't you understand?

On the contrary, countries with elected Upper Houses and elected Heads of State risk undermining democracy because they create institutions which challenge the people's power too strongly.That is exactly what I say about your system: life peers challenge the power of the people and the people are not sovereign because it is not elected or appointed for a short period of time 9same wt the head of state and the constitution).
By not having a constitution and by not having an upper house made by people on limited mandate, anyone can do things in your country that in others are punished by law (just an example, why does your system punishes mothers that kill babies wt 3-4 yrs in prison? I guess the system is loose wt the population, so it can get tolerance in exchange!) .

I don't deny that there are a large number of industrialists in the House of Lords, but then the very purpose of the Upper House is to give voice to captains of industry, alongside other fields of expertise. There's more than enough lawyers and judges in there, and plenty of scientists, doctors, charity workers, culturists, defence chiefs and many more in there too.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :wink:

The House of Commons is also replete with bankers, for that matter. I don't doubt the French parliament has similar characteristics.

As for your comment on the unwritten constitution - I have no idea where you're getting this from. On the contrary: our unwritten constitution has been our greatest asset in fighting special interests. The codified constitution of America has failed to prevent it being ensnared by big business.

It happens to have different news sources in my country and other in Europe and we can see how lots of fraudulent people go to London , super rich guys, to avoid laws and taxes in their own country. If you deny this, I invite you to speak on any TV channel in France and sustain your point of view. Well this is what I want to understand, especially now for the financial regulation reformation and you should know what I am talking about. If you don't ,then you are out of touch and again you live in your own world.
(edited 12 years ago)

The codified constitution of America has failed to prevent it being ensnared by big business.

America was built for business, as an ideology. the connection of politics and business is popularly accepted historically, they make public their political campaigns funding.
It is true, it got out of control lately, but this is a general phenomena, a possible effect of the crisis, it's a global one actually.

But the main players on the American market were doing business in the city before 2006, And here we go again, back to the city. They have been punished in America, while the city is still in business...
(edited 12 years ago)
That is exactly what I say about your system: life peers challenge the power of the people and the people are not sovereign because it is not elected or appointed for a short period of time 9same wt the head of state and the constitution).
By not having a constitution and by not having an upper house made by people on limited mandate, anyone can do things in your country that in others are punished by law (just an example, why does your system punishes mothers that kill babies wt 3-4 yrs in prison? I guess the system is loose wt the population, so it can get tolerance in exchange!) .

Let me repeat myself again: life peers do not challenge the power of the people, nor does the monarch. They exist to support the Commons by giving it guidance and preventing domination of the executive over Parliament.

By your standards, almost no currently democratic country in the world would be considered democratic. Your definition is too narrow, and not supported by political scientists.

The lack of codified constitution, and the presence of an appointed House does not mean anybody can do anything on a whim; it is a constant balancing act between facets of a well-known constitutional outlay, that prevents abuse of one section by threatening retribution elsewhere. Stop ignoring this.

It happens to have different news sources in my country and other in Europe and we can see how lots of fraudulent people go to London , super rich guys, to avoid laws and taxes in their own country. If you deny this, I invite you to speak on any TV channel in France and sustain your point of view. Well this is what I want to understand, especially now for the financial regulation reformation and you should know what I am talking about. If you don't ,then you are out of touch and again you live in your own world.

Funnily enough, we get plenty of news reports in this country of people avoiding living in the UK to avoid the tax laws here. I guess we can't be both right, eh?

Once again: you're blaming the monarchy and the Lords for things outside of their power to change. These issues would remain under a republic with an elected House as it is the job of the Commons to deal with them.

If these problems exist, it is because the Commons has not dealt with it. Nothing to do with the monarchy or the Lords.
America was built for business, as an ideology. the connection of politics and business is popularly accepted historically, they make public their political campaigns funding.
It is true, it got out of control lately, but this is a general phenomena, a possible effect of the crisis, it's a global one actually.

America's political campaign funding is enormously corrupt. It's notorious! Britain's political finance regulations are among the tightest in Europe.

But the main players on the American market were doing business in the city before 2006, And here we go again, back to the city. They have been punished in America, while the city is still in business...

Once again: the presence and power of the City are factors independent of the monarchy or the House of Lords. They would remain just as powerful under a republic without a House of Lords.

You're making valid criticisms of Britain's economic policy, but only the House of Commons can decide on economic policy here.
Much of the argument seems to follow: "The Royal Family is good because they bring in money and tourism, but bad because they don't really represent us as a country anymore and no one really believes they have any sort of 'divine right of rule' obviously. But there's also no point in having a President."

But why are we just limited to these two options?

Something not discussed enough is how we could have a national, well-liked figure who does represent us socially and try to unite us as a nation. Whilst the Queen has some influence and much experience in politics, everyone knows shes not really there in a political capacity.

So why can't we have someone who is a national figurehead, but not there for political or religious reasons?

The answer is because this kind of reform would be very complicated and nothing (save of course a bloodthirsty, European-style revolution, what fun that would be) can topple a monarchy in any short space of time.

But I believe that some kind of social figurehead should be put in place, visiting schools, appearing on telly, awarding grants to the hard-working, a Queen 2.0. And then over the years the Royal Family would get phased out, because we wouldn't need them anymore.
Reply 257
Original post by goodeye

So why can't we have someone who is a national figurehead, but not there for political or religious reasons?

The answer is because this kind of reform would be very complicated and nothing (save of course a bloodthirsty, European-style revolution, what fun that would be) can topple a monarchy in any short space of time.

But I believe that some kind of social figurehead should be put in place, visiting schools, appearing on telly, awarding grants to the hard-working, a Queen 2.0. And then over the years the Royal Family would get phased out, because we wouldn't need them anymore.

Like Miss Great Britain?

i think i'd rather keep liz
Original post by cid
Like Miss Great Britain?

i think i'd rather keep liz

Just went and googled what that was...

No not like Miss Great Britain :mute:
Reply 259
It's irrational to support any position along hereditary lines e.g. no Tesco shareholder would turn a blind eye to Terry Leahy's son/daughter taking charge by default.

I guess it highlights what the monarchy really is - a pantomime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending