The Student Room Group

Should the UK have a Monarchy?? Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
A third of the student population wish to destroy a constitution that has developed over a thousand years? Frightening.
I think there should be a referendum after Elizabeth II dies in order to give the people of the UK a once in a generation chance to decide on the future of the monarchy. Even though the majority of people favour retaining the monarchy, it would be good to put it to the people at a Royal transitional point.
Reply 82
Original post by Birchington
I think there should be a referendum after Elizabeth II dies in order to give the people of the UK a once in a generation chance to decide on the future of the monarchy. Even though the majority of people favour retaining the monarchy, it would be good to put it to the people at a Royal transitional point.

There isn't a transitional point, either constitutionally or practically. As soon as the Queen dies, there is a new King immediately. In the first year or two, there are major events and issues of Royal protocol to be followed, most notably the Coronation.

Even if you support the idea of a referendum on the British monarchy, which I think is an utterly vapid and ridiculous plan (I should probably qualify that with 'no offence' or the like, it's not a matter of republicanism itself, but rather holding a referendum - which is fairly awful in itself - about something that there is no genuine appetite to change) then you really ought to accept that it would be unsuitable to have one during such a significant period. For one, all the Republicans would no doubt suggest that money spent on Accession and Coronation events would be essentially taxpayer-funded propaganda. By the time all this dies down, the new monarch is already bedded in.

So really, there is no clean transitional period. A moment, perhaps, but no more. It's certainly not a great time to hold a referendum. I suspect the only reason Republicans suggest it is because they think the Prince of Wales is less popular than the Queen.
Reply 83
Moreover re: a referendum on each new monarch, such a thing would serve to politicise the monarchy.
Reply 84
I'd prefer a military general to stage a coup and take the queens place as head of state, at least then he would have done something for it.

We live in a modern world, where the fate of someone is not meant to be determined by birth right. People are not restricted by who their parents are, and the same should apply for the monarchy.

As long as we have a Monarchy, and most importantly, as long as we have a monarchy that can influence legislation, we are a backwards country.

The UK is a joke (politically) to a great deal of the world. People on mainland europe see England as a failing power that refuses to let go of it's empire and old traditions. This is exactly what we are.

The entire royal familly has no right to be head of state. We are meant to be a secularized nation, so why is our head of state appointed by god? Are we are theocracy? Why do we condemn Iran for their unelected leaders. Or more specifically, how can any British politician have the audacity to condemn putin for attempting to remain in power when we have a whole familly thats been involed for their enitre life!

Whats more, if we assume that the reason the royal familly has no connection with god (if we become secularized), then the royal familly becomes nothing more than the descendants of those that enslaved the country!

I'm not saying we should get rid of the monarchy overnight (although I would love that). But we should be moving towards removing them. Starting with halting all political power, removing the ability to veto, and remove the Monarch at the head of state. Then slowly, start halting the money sent to the royal familly. Hell, they can keep their palaces, but they can pay for them, themselves.
Reply 85
Original post by W-Three
I'd prefer a military general to stage a coup and take the queens place as head of state, at least then he would have done something for it.

We live in a modern world, where the fate of someone is not meant to be determined by birth right. People are not restricted by who their parents are, and the same should apply for the monarchy.

Except it is a world where birth determines your fate. For example, you inherited your nationality, did you not?

As long as we have a Monarchy, and most importantly, as long as we have a monarchy that can influence legislation, we are a backwards country.

The UK is a joke (politically) to a great deal of the world. People on mainland europe see England as a failing power that refuses to let go of it's empire and old traditions. This is exactly what we are.

Do you have evidence for these claims?

What about the monarchy makes it backwards to you? Is it because it’s an old idea? Why should its age matter?

I answer that the presence of the monarchy shows we are a successful country, because we have developed a democratic state peacefully and maturely, not through violence as some less fortunate countries.

I get the impression that many countries abroad admire Britain’s culture, history and traditions. If they see the country as a bit tired (which they tend not to), or a ‘failing’ power, it’s because it was originally punching above its weight anyway.

Do you think that by removing the monarchy Britain would suddenly be a superpower again?

The entire royal familly has no right to be head of state. We are meant to be a secularized nation, so why is our head of state appointed by god? Are we are theocracy? Why do we condemn Iran for their unelected leaders. Or more specifically, how can any British politician have the audacity to condemn putin for attempting to remain in power when we have a whole familly thats been involed for their enitre life!

They have every right to be Head of State if the people freely permit it, which they do.

You need to learn the difference between de jure and de facto: historically the monarchy claimed appointment from God, but in reality the monarchy exists through the grace of the people. Nobody, not even the Queen herself, would seriously defend the monarchy through divine mandate. Britain is the most secular state in Europe de facto.

We condemn Iran and Russia for their governments and people being unfree. Putin is in power in spite of the public will; Queen Elizabeth II is in power not through fear or force, like Putin, but because the people wish her to be there.

Whats more, if we assume that the reason the royal familly has no connection with god (if we become secularized), then the royal familly becomes nothing more than the descendants of those that enslaved the country!

Please elaborate. How did they enslave? What definition is this?

I'm not saying we should get rid of the monarchy overnight (although I would love that). But we should be moving towards removing them. Starting with halting all political power, removing the ability to veto, and remove the Monarch at the head of state.

The monarch has not exercised the power of veto in three centuries, and isn’t going to revive it now. That power is safely dormant. You’re getting worked up over a non-issue.

The remnants of political power the monarch still has are either exercised by elected ministers anyway, or are in the Queen’s possession to ensure political continuity, such as the appointment of a new PM in the event of a hung Parliament.

Then slowly, start halting the money sent to the royal familly. Hell, they can keep their palaces, but they can pay for them, themselves.

Oh dear. You haven’t read much beyond an A-Level politics book, have you?

The palaces they occupy which are funded by the taxpayer are used by them in the same manner as the White House in the US is occupied by the President, or Downing Street by our PM. In other words, they are working offices and meeting places, not simply private houses.

Those houses that they do have for private use, are not supported with taxpayer’s money.
Reply 86
Original post by gladders
Except it is a world where birth determines your fate. For example, you inherited your nationality, did you not?

Nationality is down to where you are born, not who you are born. The other point being that you can apply for citizenship in another country, or in this country. You cannot apply to become a royal.

Do you have evidence for these claims?

Othe than personal experience?

What about the monarchy makes it backwards to you? Is it because it’s an old idea? Why should its age matter?

It's not age. Democracy is an old idea.

It's backwards because, while most of the world is moving towards an elected head of state, Britain reminas unmoving on the issue.

I get the impression that many countries abroad admire Britain’s culture, history and traditions. If they see the country as a bit tired (which they tend not to), or a ‘failing’ power, it’s because it was originally punching above its weight anyway.

In the same way tourists 'admire' the pyramids and the valley of kings in egypt, but when asked about the countries politics will consider it backward.

Do you think that by removing the monarchy Britain would suddenly be a superpower again?

No, this has nothing to do with becoming a powerful country again. Removing our monarchy will at least give us some legitimacy when we dictate how other countries politics should work. And give supreme power in the hands of the people.

They have every right to be Head of State if the people freely permit it, which they do.

Only because we don't have a choice in the matter.

You need to learn the difference between de jure and de facto: historically the monarchy claimed appointment from God, but in reality the monarchy exists through the grace of the people. Nobody, not even the Queen herself, would seriously defend the monarchy through divine mandate. Britain is the most secular state in Europe de facto.

In other words there is no reason whatsoever for the royal familly to be in power, other than the fact that they are already in power.

We condemn Iran and Russia for their governments and people being unfree. Putin is in power in spite of the public will; Queen Elizabeth II is in power not through fear or force, like Putin, but because the people wish her to be there.

It's not the wish of the people. Nobody asked the Queen to come to power. It's just not that many people are willing to risk their livelyhoods over it.

What about the swathes of putin and medvedev supporters?

P
lease elaborate. How did they enslave? What definition is this?

Serfdom. The monarchy is a leftover from despotism, where those who were in power took power through force. When they took land, the people of the land became their property and were forced to pay tax. The people had no choice in the matter. And now, the descendants rule in this country because their ancestors took power generations ago?

P
The monarch has not exercised the power of veto in three centuries, and isn’t going to revive it now. That power is safely dormant. You’re getting worked up over a non-issue.

So if they don't use it, why have it? If a bill went through parliment opting to remove the monarchy, I wonder whether that veto power will remain so unused.

Then there was that whole Prince Charles Veto thing. Have we been told whether he used the veto powers or not yet?

Why is someone given the ability to veto legislation because they were born or married a certain person.

Oh dear. You haven’t read much beyond an A-Level politics book, have you?

The palaces they occupy which are funded by the taxpayer are used by them in the same manner as the White House in the US is occupied by the President, or Downing Street by our PM. In other words, they are working offices and meeting places, not simply private houses.

Those houses that they do have for private use, are not supported with taxpayer’s money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060813/London-2012-Olympics-Queen-rent-St-James-Palace-room-30k-day.html
It amazed be the strikes on wednesday have been demonised for closing some sevices for a day, where as when the "royal" wedding happened that was perfectly ok, just as the golden jubilee will be next year. MADNESS!
Reply 88
Original post by W-Three
Nationality is down to where you are born, not who you are born. The other point being that you can apply for citizenship in another country, or in this country. You cannot apply to become a royal.

You have a general advantage of gaining citizenship if you show your lineage. I know of several people who were born in other countries who received nationality based on their parents’ being born there.

Othe than personal experience?

Personal experience does not make fact. As I can disagree with you as emphatically as you insist upon it, we can’t both be right.

It's not age. Democracy is an old idea.

It's backwards because, while most of the world is moving towards an elected head of state, Britain reminas unmoving on the issue.

Most of the world has not moved towards an elected head of state. Most ceremonial presidencies have their offices appointed, not elected. Moreover pointing to argument by popularity is not an argument in favour of such a move.

In the same way tourists 'admire' the pyramids and the valley of kings in egypt, but when asked about the countries politics will consider it backward.

I highly doubt that this is true. This is more down to your personal opinion than some kind of fact. Britain is one of the most stable and effective democracies around, based on such reports as this.

No, this has nothing to do with becoming a powerful country again. Removing our monarchy will at least give us some legitimacy when we dictate how other countries politics should work. And give supreme power in the hands of the people.

We already have this legitimacy because we elect our governments and our Parliament. That is all we ask of other countries. Frankly, if other countries establish constitutional monarchies like ours, all power to them. If they established a tyrannical republic, I’d have an issue.

Only because we don't have a choice in the matter.

We have every choice in the matter. Start a petition for establishing a republic. Get elected to Parliament, and demand a republic. I guarantee you will not be arrested or accosted by the authorities for exercising your rights in this manner.

Australia was given the choice a decade ago and freely chose to remain a monarchy.

In other words there is no reason whatsoever for the royal familly to be in power, other than the fact that they are already in power.

In a way, yes. They do the job at least as well as a president could, so why bother going through the stress of changing it for no material benefit?

It's not the wish of the people. Nobody asked the Queen to come to power. It's just not that many people are willing to risk their livelyhoods over it.

Livelihood? Your livelihood is not in danger because you’re a republican. I think it’s because for the vast majority of people the matter is a non-issue. They either like the monarchy actively, or only ever think about it when it’s mentioned by others. When push comes to shove, I’d say most people would prefer the status quo.

What about the swathes of putin and medvedev supporters?

What about them? If they’re the majority of the Russian people, then Medvedev and Putin are there freely. As it happens I sincerely doubt it because Russia is a despotic republic.

Serfdom. The monarchy is a leftover from despotism, where those who were in power took power through force. When they took land, the people of the land became their property and were forced to pay tax. The people had no choice in the matter. And now, the descendants rule in this country because their ancestors took power generations ago?

Name a single country which didn’t have serfdom at some point. It’s an economic system that worked at the time (in some opinions was a unavoidable system), and was also not exclusive to monarchy. Moreover it was different in each country, depending on local laws. Serfs were indeed slaves, but then they weren’t everyone in the country and eventually serfs were liberated.
There are many republics which had slavery.

Moreover, regardless of what happened 700 years ago, we’re talking about the office now. Is the monarchy engaging in slavery? Are we a feudal state? No? Fine.

So if they don't use it, why have it? If a bill went through parliment opting to remove the monarchy, I wonder whether that veto power will remain so unused.

If they don’t use it, why waste time abolishing it? Parliament has far, far more important issues to worry about. And I would imagine any royal veto against a law for a republic would find themselves rather impotent, unless it was not supported by the people.

Then there was that whole Prince Charles Veto thing. Have we been told whether he used the veto powers or not yet?

The Prince of Wales veto is an ancient power conferred because he is heir to the throne and the estate of the Duchy of Cornwall was historically involved in political matters. As for now, I would wager he is, as he has always been, consulted; but I doubt the veto has ever been used.

Why is someone given the ability to veto legislation because they were born or married a certain person.

The power is in desuetude.

What’s your problem with this? Imagine if it were a president in that building, who opened up rooms for guests. I doubt you’d have an issue with that.
Original post by AgentSushi
It amazed be the strikes on wednesday have been demonised for closing some sevices for a day, where as when the "royal" wedding happened that was perfectly ok, just as the golden jubilee will be next year. MADNESS!

There are two basic differences between a national holiday and a strike: only one of them has an ideological basis, and only one of them benefits the majority.

Which one does the majority prefer?

It's not a good thing, but I wouldn't say it's madness either. It's egocentrism.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Aleandcynicism
I'm not a republican because I think I'm terribly clever; I think the concept of hereditary power, which has been transferred from the monarch to the prime minister (but would not exist without a monarch) gives the UK government far too much power. It's not controversial to say a UK government with a parliamentary majority can pass through whatever they like without hassle, and this stems from the power of the monarch.

never thought of it like that before.
Reply 91
Monarch should stay only because a lot of tourists come to london to see the buckingham palace things like that.
Reply 92
I'm not a republican because I think I'm terribly clever; I think the concept of hereditary power, which has been transferred from the monarch to the prime minister (but would not exist without a monarch) gives the UK government far too much power. It's not controversial to say a UK government with a parliamentary majority can pass through whatever they like without hassle, and this stems from the power of the monarch.

Original post by kingme
never thought of it like that before.

Yes, but the problem he criticises is emphatically not something caused by monarchy. Every parliamentary system of government in the world works like this. The problem is the whip system, not the monarchy.

The monarch's powers are indeed exercised by ministers now, but any attempt to use them in violation of the will of Parliament would be swiftly struck down. It's exactly the same in other parliamentary systems.

Even then, his reasoning is flawed. In terms of parliamentary bloody-mindedness, we're in a golden age. MPs are more independently minded than they're been in a long, long time.
Original post by Mohamed-H
Monarch should stay only because a lot of tourists come to london to see the buckingham palace things like that.

I doubt many come here just to see the monarchy. Even without them loads of people will come to London.
Yes - they're damn cheap (60p per person per year in taxes), and they provide some damn good entertainment, and they help tourism.

Plus, given how intimately intertwined they are with the legal and political system, the amount of bureaucracy involved in removing them would knock out any savings for the next 200 years.

Yes. They are financially beneficial to our economy. Plus Philip is pretty badass.
Original post by W-Three

how can any British politician have the audacity to condemn putin for attempting to remain in power when we have a whole familly thats been involed for their enitre life!

Starting with halting all political power, removing the ability to veto, and remove the Monarch at the head of state.

So you'd support a military figure murdering the royal family and politicians in order to take power?

The UK has given up its empire, what planet are you on? We have no possessions larger than small islands left.

One of the many differences between Putin and the Queen is that Putin has power. He has massive political power without being elected and obviously that's not a good thing. The Queen has no power. She has to spend her old age travelling and making speeches written by someone else, meeting delegations of often dodgy politicians from around the world and she gets made fun of in popular culture. It doesn't really matter whether she's elected because in the real world of politics and British society in general her personal opinion doesn't have any influence.

If she has a veto a) she never uses it and b) the monarchy would be destroyed if she ever attempted to.

One concession I would make is that royals should not overstep the mark. There's a big difference between what the queen does which I think is admirable and harmless, and what Prince Charles does. In my view he meddles too much in the real world and I don't welcome his opinions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
So you'd support a military figure murdering the royal family and politicians in order to take power?

The UK has given up its empire, what planet are you on? We have no possessions larger than small islands left.

One of the many differences between Putin and the Queen is that Putin has power. He has massive political power without being elected and obviously that's not a good thing. The Queen has no power. She has to spend her old age travelling and making speeches written by someone else, meeting delegations of often dodgy politicians from around the world and she gets made fun of in popular culture. It doesn't really matter whether she's elected because in the real world of politics and British society in general her personal opinion doesn't have any influence.

If she has a veto a) she never uses it and b) the monarchy would be destroyed if she ever attempted to.

One concession I would make is that royals should not overstep the mark. There's a big difference between what the queen does which I think is admirable and harmless, and what Prince Charles does. In my view he meddles too much in the real world and I don't welcome his opinions.

Why not just convert the Prime Minister role into the head of state role? why do we need the Queen? why does she have to be Queen to do all those things? she can do them without being Queen.
Original post by freedom1
Why not just convert the Prime Minister role into the head of state role? why do we need the Queen? why does she have to be Queen to do all those things? she can do them without being Queen.

I guess the answer is just that the majority of Brits and Commonwealth subjects like having a Queen.
Original post by thetobbit
No

They're a waste of time and yes they generate money through tourism, do you see them selling all their jewels and gold to give to charity?

They're inbred and should be gotten rid off along with all other members of the ruling class who live in luxury while others suffer. "But at least their nice to look at"

you should be got rid of with that attitude

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending