The Student Room Group

University entry requirements - a bit of clarification please

Hiya,
I've recently received a number of offers from my universities that I have selected in my application. My first question is based on the actual decision letter that is sent to you when "accepted" it states the entry requirements, the question being is that if a university is looking for e.g. ABB does it mean those specific grades or UCAS points that are equivalent I have heard all kinds of nonsense and speculation so if someone with the smarts could tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is based upon replying, do you have to choose one university only or can you wait until you get your results and then choose which university you want based upon that information.

I'm not sure if there are any other threads like this I tried to looking however I couldn't come up with anything.
Reply 1
If they mention grades and not UCAS points they want the grades in the subjects specified.

Once you've received all your decisions, you need to make one firm (1st choice), one insurance (2nd choice) and the rest you decline. You cannot change your mind on results day, this decision is final, if you make the grades for your firm choice you can't decide to take your insurance choice instead.
Reply 2
If they state ABB, they want ABB. They may be a bit lenient when it come to results day and they may allow you to get AAC but not always the case.

As for your second question, they give a deadline (can't remember what it was) in which you must reply to your offers and no, you cannot wait until results day as it will be too late.
Reply 3
thanks guys
First of all, it was a bit difficult trying to read your post due to the lack of punctuation and full stops.

If uni sent you an acceptance letter requiring a grade of ABB, then it must be ABB. This is a grade-based offer. If you get lower than ABB, lets say you get ABC and a C in AS which gains you 320 points equivalent to the points you get from ABB - uni stilld oesn't have to accept you because you don't meet the requirement by achieving 1 A and 2 Bs. But if it's a tariff based offer, then it is a bit easier. If it says you must obtain 320 points from 3 A levels, then 320 points must be from 3 full A-levels only, but if it says from 3 A levels and 1 AS level then the point you gained from the subject you completed (and dropped) in AS can be counted towards the whole tariff scores as well.

Your second question is basically what the above post said. :smile:
Reply 5
thanks again, I know my punctuation is bad, I can't help it :smile:
Original post by Mr poop
thanks again, I know my punctuation is bad, I can't help it :smile:

Dont worry I just pointed out cos I am a bitch like that. lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending