The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I'm currently at my first job working in a bakery for £5 an hour and I'm 16.
I just went in and asked if they had any Saturday jobs going, and they did
Reply 221
My first job (and current job) is as a lifeguard I got it when I was 16 and my hourly rate when I started was £5.96 (I've had quite a few pay rises since them though) i got it through a friend who's a manager in the sports trust.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My first job was as a Christmas temp at MDEC. Basically, I had to help with the mail.
Reply 223
My first job was McDonald's although only on weekends now, I was 16 and just a few weeks after I finished by GCSEs
My first job was at Alton Towers on the smiler at the age of 16, rate of £6.31, not too bad I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
I worked at Travis Perkins when I was 16 on £5.75. I wasn't there for long and went to work for UK Parliament for £7.00 per hour after that, which I think is quite reasonable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first ever job was at the age of 15, I did a paper-round. I earned £15 a week.

Since august, I have worked as a dishwasher and cleaner at the local business centre. £6.31 an hour, but it's for like 3 hours a week...

Since the start of the new year, I've volunteered in the British Heart Foundation for two hours a week. Looks good on a CV/Personal statement, and it's nice to help :smile:

I've applied for many other jobs and I've got an interview with Costa Coffee on Friday. That will be for 15 hours a week, £6.38 an hour :biggrin:
I did a paper round which was probably illegal (like £25 a month for a weekly 3 hour paper round)

Then I worked at Argos for £5.50. I thought I had earnt so much money from it until I started working full time somewhere else and realised I earned more in my first month of full time employment than I did in my whole time at Argos.
Original post by Runninground
I did a paper round which was probably illegal (like £25 a month for a weekly 3 hour paper round)

Then I worked at Argos for £5.50. I thought I had earnt so much money from it until I started working full time somewhere else and realised I earned more in my first month of full time employment than I did in my whole time at Argos.

Why would the paper-round have been illegal?
Original post by snikutsmullac
Why would the paper-round have been illegal?

3 hours a week for a month is 12 hours a month at 25hrs, is £2.08 an hour. Wasn't old enough for nmw but that's hardly anything an hour aha.
3 hours a week for a month is 12 hours a month at 25hrs, is £2.08 an hour. Wasn't old enough for nmw but that's hardly anything an hour aha.

So not an illegal wage, just a ridiculously low one. And it's not the easiest of jobs either; having to get up at 6:30am every morning during the summer holidays is not fun! And having to deal with grumpy, smelly old people who berate you because the daily telegraph is running late and so can't be delivered...
I worked in the CIA as a muslim fundamentalist in 2001

got paid £1000 an hour
Original post by snikutsmullac
So not an illegal wage, just a ridiculously low one. And it's not the easiest of jobs either; having to get up at 6:30am every morning during the summer holidays is not fun! And having to deal with grumpy, smelly old people who berate you because the daily telegraph is running late and so can't be delivered...

I did a local paper so it was only once a week and you could deliver it any time during the day.
Original post by Are you Shaw?
I worked in the CIA as a muslim fundamentalist in 2001

got paid £1000 an hour

Are you shaw?
Are you shaw?

na may have been £900 an hour, after i got deported to Qatar and then settled in Libya
Original post by ow3n
Temp at M&S, the wage for a temp is now £6.52!!!
But I'm on £6.96 now :-)

My first job was temping at Debenhams at the age I am now (19yrs young) and wage £5.37ph. I got it easily as a Xmas temp and have moved on from there now.

I'm pissed M&S temps are paid much higher when M&S as a retail store is flagging compared to it's competitors: how old are you may I ask?
My first job (and it still kinda is) is as a customer assistant at Boots for £7.92 an hour. I recently got a transfer to another store so I'm not sure how much I'll be getting
Reply 237
Telesales. £4 per hour plus commission. Commission usually about 200 a week for skilled full time sales people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first job was Customer Services in Primark a month after i turned 17, Christmas Temp then got kept on, started on £3.95 (this was back in 2007)....not great but it went up to just above full NMW when i turned 18. Stayed there for three years until uni. Literally just handed in my CV at the time but they've changed it to online now.
Reply 239
my first job was work experience at a garden centre when i was in Year 11 about 6 years ago,

Latest

Trending

Trending