The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
DON'T It's posionous.
Didnt the Americans do it in vietnam?
Reply 3
:rolleyes:
The Canadian
I'm a snowboarder and a karter, and as a result I cut my hands quite a lot, and to stop bleeding and seal the wound, I put superglue on it.

Yes, it does sting like hell, but you get used to it quickly, but people have been saying that it's gonna poison my bloodstream etc... but my mates and I have been using it for ages with no problems.

Is there any proof it's a bad idea?

I am sorry mate, but that is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard. Have you never heard of first using antiseptic to clean the area and then putting plasters/bandages over the affected area? I'd really advise against doing it in the future - it really won't be good for you.
Yeah I've heard quite a few times that this actually works as long as you use a glue packet that has JUST been opened, because it's sterile then, or something.

My mates been using superglue for ages and it does work a treat
Reply 7
Perfectly fine!

quote from wikipedia : "Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is a tenacious adhesive, particularly when used to bond non-porous materials or those that contain minute traces of water. As such it is very good at bonding body tissue, and while this effect can be a nuisance (or even dangerous) for everyday use, it has been exploited for the benefit of suture-less surgery."
Reply 8
My dad used to do it all the time, he told me it's ok to do and I've never had any problems.
As long as you apply it carefully to only the surface of the wound it should be ok.

*Jaded
I had a cut on my leg superglued together when my horse kicked me. It was rank and I nearly threw up when she got the glue out. I feel sick thinking about it.
That's why it was first invented. Factaroonie.
Reply 12
k... dumbass...

you will turn green and your limbs will fall off now. nice job.
If you want sterile superglue get Dermabond.
Reply 14
Aye, I've never done it myself but it is exactly what superglue was invented for.
Reply 15
I've seen it done at banger racing on more than one occassion. Whatever the health risks, I bet they are only these recent cotton-wool, political correct, health risks; people do it, have no issues, but authorities will still scream about it not being safe.

If it's a case of that, or having an open cut, losing blood and risking further infection, it's a no brainer. But I must ask; when you are snowboarding, if you have superglue available, that means a) you take it with you, or b) you go to a pretty well equipped building after you fall. In either case, surely real first aid equipment would be readily available?
Reply 16
How do you cut your hands snowboarding anyway? Don't you wear gloves?

I know of drummers that glue their cuts - not a good idea though as stated above.
Superglue is an easily portable, fast acting (albeit temporary) solution. Will fit in your pocket better than a big green box. And the American government at least has approved its use on human tissue.
Reply 18
they glue cuts in hospital dont they sure they glued my cuts when u went to help the skin bond or something .. glue and staples im sure they used so long ago tho i cant remember exsactly
Reply 19
Do they not make plaster anymore?
Anyways, the glue hospitals use is totally different to normal glue.

Latest

Trending

Trending