The Student Room Group

Mature Law Applicants LSE QMUL SOAS

Hi, I am a mature student (23) and I have applied to LSE, QMUL & SOAS. I was wondering if there are any other mature students applying to these universities and whether you have recieved any news from via UCAS or other correspondence from them yet. I am yet to recieve an decisions.... Do they leave us mature students to last?
Reply 1
Hi, I'm also a mature student (22), and I've applied to LSE and QMUL and a couple others. I have no idea how they choose mature students, or if they have a different way of doing so.

Neither school has made a decision for me yet, but I'll post here as soon as I hear something! LSE did send me an email on Monday saying "This email is to keep you informed on the progress of your application, which is still being assessed at this time." But that's all.
Reply 2
Original post by MDS3
Hi, I'm also a mature student (22), and I've applied to LSE and QMUL and a couple others. I have no idea how they choose mature students, or if they have a different way of doing so.

Neither school has made a decision for me yet, but I'll post here as soon as I hear something! LSE did send me an email on Monday saying "This email is to keep you informed on the progress of your application, which is still being assessed at this time." But that's all.

Oh right, yes I recieved this e-mail too...

The e-mail has given me a little hope, plus I was talking to a girl on my course today and LSE rejected her two weeks ago... so kinda glad that my applicaiton was not an immediate rejection.

Where else have you applied to?
Reply 3
Original post by JaneMuffin
Hi, I am a mature student (23) and I have applied to LSE, QMUL & SOAS. I was wondering if there are any other mature students applying to these universities and whether you have recieved any news from via UCAS or other correspondence from them yet. I am yet to recieve an decisions.... Do they leave us mature students to last?

QMUL have a quota for mature students; they hold all such applicants until after the January deadline, evaluate them as a gathered field and then make offers/rejections in February/March. I dont know any mature law applicants who have heard from QMUL yet.

If you haven't heard back from LSE, I'd say you're in with a pretty good shot of being asked to sit the entrance exam, which while not as fiendish as for maths based subjects, is still pretty ferocious. It was the first or second week of March last year, so I'd wager you'll hear soon :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by gtfo
QMUL have a quota for mature students; they hold all such applicants until after the January deadline, evaluate them as a gathered field and then make offers/rejections in February/March. I dont know any mature law applicants who have heard from QMUL yet.

If you haven't heard back from LSE, I'd say you're in with a pretty good shot of being asked to sit the entrance exam, which while not as fiendish as for maths based subjects, is still pretty ferocious. It was the first or second week of March last year, so I'd wager you'll hear soon :smile:

I had a look at last years entrance exm on their website.... did you sit the exam last year then?
Reply 5
Oh right, yes I recieved this e-mail too...

The e-mail has given me a little hope, plus I was talking to a girl on my course today and LSE rejected her two weeks ago... so kinda glad that my applicaiton was not an immediate rejection.

Where else have you applied to?

I applied for the M100 LLB at LSE, UCL, KCL and QMUL. I also applied to Politics, Philosophy and Law (LM21), at KCL.
I was rejected from the M100 at KCL last Friday.
Reply 6
I had a look at last years entrance exm on their website.... did you sit the exam last year then?

I did, although I sat the Econ paper.

I'd definitely recommend brushing up on your maths if you haven't already :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by gtfo
I did, although I sat the Econ paper.

I'd definitely recommend brushing up on your maths if you haven't already :smile:

So... may i ask, did you get an offer after sitting the exam?
Reply 8
So... may i ask, did you get an offer after sitting the exam?

No :smile:

I can think of only one person on TSR who sat the exam and then got an offer last year.
Reply 9
Original post by gtfo
No :smile:

I can think of only one person on TSR who sat the exam and then got an offer last year.

oh wow.... just one?!? i heard that not many offers are given... :frown:
I also applied LLB for all three. LSE asked me to sit in the forthcoming UGAA test next week (Tue 1 Mar 2016) so haven't had much time to prepare for the exams due to my work commitments but would probably get my head around by Thu afternoon onwards and work on it through weekends. I've got to admit that my maths is very bad. QMUL asked for second updated reference from my tutor so fingers crossed. Had rejects from KCL & UCL due to bad LNAT score.

The other two I applied outside UCAS is University of Law (ULaw) on a 4 yr part-time basis and for a full-time 3 yr LLB at NCH London which is a private institution that teaches Univ of London LLB with Philosophy minor, but comes with a hefty price tag £18k yearly fees! Fortunately, it comes with the option of fee reduction scholarship. (I chose NCH after some searches and been told at a law career event by partners and recruiters of top law firms that NCH grads are targeted for/or secure top TCs at leading city firms following graduations).

My hope for securing offer at LSE is not that great as I'm finding it challenging to make time for robust preparations for UGAA admission assessment, which LSE usually gives offers to top 10-15% percentile of those who takes the test. I've heard (but not confirmed officially) those who makes to top 10% of UGAA test, LSE gives some flexibility in terms of meeting their usual A*AA grades criteria.
Also would be challenging to meet QMUL's offer is any as their usual conditional offers to mature students studying Access courses is 30 disctinctions with the rest merits (equates to AAA offers.) so that looks difficult for me to achieve them for the time being.
LSE seems to be my ideal choice but just in case, I have kept ULaw and NCH as back up, in fact should I get an offer from LSE and in the unlikely event I luckily meet their criteria, I would still give NCH a serious thought in the case of securing a scholarship, due to their track record of 50% of their grads securing TCs with top law firms with fully paid for LPC. ULaw also makes a similar claim but having spoken to their LLB students/grads and alumni, I concluded that its only 10-15% who managed to secure TCs with top firms and ULaw's claim of their connection with top MC law firms usually applies to the postgraduate students or those who are aleady doing LPCs at ULaw, yet many of them already secured TCs while doing UG elsewhere prior to arriving at ULaws hence its their previous UG universities that would be getting credit.

As for SOAS, I've still yet to receive any offer, still waiting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending