The Student Room Group

Why is White guy/Asian girl couple so rare??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tara I
I agree. 45% of my school is south asian (actual stat) and there's an obvious segregation. Having said that, for some reason, the south-asian community in Glasgow is awfully close-knit. I'm the only asian in the entire school who doesn't have asian friends. And I'm described as 'racist to (my) own race' :P.

I think it's a cultural thing. The girls will have grown up knowing that their parents would never accept a white son-in-law so they've just sort of learned to prefer it? I don't really understand it, I tend not to like south-asian guys/girls. But I think it's a Glasgow thing to be honest. I found London wasn't as intense in this way.

To be honest, OP, you probably don't want to be with the kind of girls I know that prefer south-asian guys.

EDIT: I hope no-one takes offense to that. There will be many interesting south-asians I'm sure. I just haven't met many.

And what's wrong with these girls that prefer south-asian guys? I personally prefer white guys but a lot of my friends prefer south-asian guys. And these girls are lovely and decent and just as normal as anybody. I know you are trying to come across as open-minded but your post has strong undertones of self-hatred.
Original post by Anonymous
We're not missing anything since we prefer men of our own race.

uhhh please don't speak for ALL of us. you don't know how the rest of us feel. :rolleyes:
Original post by Tara I
I agree. 45% of my school is south asian (actual stat) and there's an obvious segregation. Having said that, for some reason, the south-asian community in Glasgow is awfully close-knit. I'm the only asian in the entire school who doesn't have asian friends. And I'm described as 'racist to (my) own race' :P.

I think it's a cultural thing. The girls will have grown up knowing that their parents would never accept a white son-in-law so they've just sort of learned to prefer it? I don't really understand it, I tend not to like south-asian guys/girls. But I think it's a Glasgow thing to be honest. I found London wasn't as intense in this way.

To be honest, OP, you probably don't want to be with the kind of girls I know that prefer south-asian guys.

EDIT: I hope no-one takes offense to that. There will be many interesting south-asians I'm sure. I just haven't met many.

Oooh aren't you cool? :rolleyes: You seem like somebody who is embarrassed about being South Asian, desperately trying to prove how 'White' you are. You actually seem proud of the fact that you don't like or hang out with Asians.

Just because an Asian comes from a racially narrow-minded family, it doesn't mean they've learnt to prefer their own race. Plenty of Asians I know from open-minded families prefer their own race too.
Reply 43
Original post by IndianDancer
And what's wrong with these girls that prefer south-asian guys? I personally prefer white guys but a lot of my friends prefer south-asian guys. And these girls are lovely and decent and just as normal as anybody. I know you are trying to come across as open-minded but your post has strong undertones of self-hatred.

There's nothing wrong with them. I can only speak from my experiences and I've genuinely had terrible ones with those types of girls (esp. in the extended family). Like I said, a Glasgow thing. In the most south-asian populated areas (Polloksheilds/Ibrox), they're all the same. Seriously. They. Are.

I know exactly how that sounds, I don't rule people out because of their colour. It's just, I have to come to some sort of conclusion if I move school/house nine times, meet so many and find such a strong/consistent pattern. To be perfectly honest - you're going to hate me for this - but, IMO, they tend to be boring. I'm not saying that being attracted to asian guys makes one this way, I'm saying that the ones who are attracted to asian guys tend to be more immersed in the british-pakistani-culture (which is pretty crappy IMO). But, to be fair, I do think this applies more where there are more asians, as there is a culture of sorts.

I'm not thrashing their existence as a whole, but I'm only going to be honest. The slightly more passive ones are nice/decent, but I tend to find them uninteresting. And it's not like I judge them based on their colour, I give them chances. I really do.

I see your point though. I honestly don't actually know how/why this is. But I'm damn sure, for a lot of the time, it's true.

EDIT: I didn't say they weren't normal. They are - I'm not too sure what normal is but I'm gonna run with that. If anything, they're a little too 'normal' for me. But it's probably more me than them now that I think about it. I like eccentrics. What can I say?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Oooh aren't you cool? :rolleyes: You seem like somebody who is embarrassed about being South Asian, desperately trying to prove how 'White' you are. You actually seem proud of the fact that you don't like or hang out with Asians.

Just because an Asian comes from a racially narrow-minded family, it doesn't mean they've learnt to prefer their own race. Plenty of Asians I know from open-minded families prefer their own race too.

What?

TBH, I don't see what's wrong with having only white friends. My childhood friend is asian, I'm not freaking racist. But I've never quite clicked with many others. I don't dislike them, I don't have anything against them. I just don't like them. I have asian acquaintances. It never really goes beyond that. What's the dealio? :s-smilie:

EDIT: I never meant that preferring your own race meant you were narrow-minded, are we forgetting about religion? Their families want them to marry muslims y'know? Have you ever tried converting a white boy/girl to Islam? Harder than it sounds bro.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
fk off you racist idiot. who cares who people date?
We're not missing anything since we prefer men of our own race.

So mean :/
Original post by Tara I
There's nothing wrong with them. I can only speak from my experiences and I've genuinely had terrible ones with those types of girls (esp. in the extended family). Like I said, a Glasgow thing. In the most south-asian populated areas (Polloksheilds/Ibrox), they're all the same. Seriously. They. Are.

I know exactly how that sounds, I don't rule people out because of their colour. It's just, I have to come to some sort of conclusion if I move school/house nine times, meet so many and find such a strong/consistent pattern. To be perfectly honest - you're going to hate me for this - but, IMO, they tend to be boring. I'm not saying that being attracted to asian guys makes one this way, I'm saying that the ones who are attracted to asian guys tend to be more immersed in the british-pakistani-culture (which is pretty crappy IMO). But, to be fair, I do think this applies more where there are more asians, as there is a culture of sorts.

I'm not thrashing their existence as a whole, but I'm only going to be honest. The slightly more passive ones are nice/decent, but I tend to find them uninteresting. And it's not like I judge them based on their colour, I give them chances. I really do.

I see your point though. I honestly don't actually know how/why this is. But I'm damn sure, for a lot of the time, it's true.

EDIT: I didn't say they weren't normal. They are - I'm not too sure what normal is but I'm gonna run with that. If anything, they're a little too 'normal' for me. But it's probably more me than them now that I think about it. I like eccentrics. What can I say?

give them chances? aren't you nice?
ok you find the british pakistani culture boring. nothing wrong with that, you are entitled to your opinions but its your false superiority complex that's pissing me off right now. "ooooo i'm so weird and eccentric. i hang out with white people only so i'm sooooo different" that's how you sound right now. maybe you don't notice it nowbut i'm sure in a few years you are going to look back and cringe at how you were. i know that sounds condescending but honestly...your inferiority complex to white people is SO obvious and extremely embarrassing. i'm not one of those weird asians who are always going on about their culture and get defensive every time someone says bad things about their culture and country. your inferiority complex is just making me really really angry. and that's one of the things i hate about our culture. quite a few people have it and its embarrassing for the rest of us.
Original post by meenu89
My Husband is not the same race as me. I am of Indian origin born in the UK and my husband is White. I know a few couple like this where I live.

How did your parents and people in the Asian community find that kind of relationship?

To the OP, I'm not Asian but I know a lot of Asians where I live and I don't think a lot of their parents would accept it. I guess they've been raised to believe that they cannot marry outside their race/culture/religion.
Reply 49
Original post by Dee Leigh
How did your parents and people in the Asian community find that kind of relationship?

I think I was lucky. I had known him since Secondary school. My parents were brilliant about it really, but some of my family weren't too happy with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3

P.S. Trust you to turn up just as I'm bigging up latinos, you tart :tongue:

hehe :cool:
give them chances? aren't you nice?
ok you find the british pakistani culture boring. nothing wrong with that, you are entitled to your opinions but its your false superiority complex that's pissing me off right now. "ooooo i'm so weird and eccentric. i hang out with white people only so i'm sooooo different" that's how you sound right now. maybe you don't notice it nowbut i'm sure in a few years you are going to look back and cringe at how you were. i know that sounds condescending but honestly...your inferiority complex to white people is SO obvious and extremely embarrassing. i'm not one of those weird asians who are always going on about their culture and get defensive every time someone says bad things about their culture and country. your inferiority complex is just making me really really angry. and that's one of the things i hate about our culture. quite a few people have it and its embarrassing for the rest of us.

You are being unfairly harsh on Tara1 when you yourself have confessed to preferring white over asian guys. Maybe she just likes hanging out with white people because she has more in common with them. No need to generalie her comments. Just because you don't connect with parts of your background does not make you have an inferiority complex or you hate your race. If i like out hanging with some Pakistani or Sri Lankan people more than I do with some Indians that doesn't make me a self hater or against my Indian race, does it?
Original post by brownicecream
You are being unfairly harsh on Tara1 when you yourself have confessed to preferring white over asian guys. Maybe she just likes hanging out with white people because she has more in common with them. No need to generalie her comments. Just because you don't connect with parts of your background does not make you have an inferiority complex or you hate your race. If i like out hanging with some Pakistani or Sri Lankan people more than I do with some Indians that doesn't make me a self hater or against my Indian race, does it?

Ofcourse not. And yes I prefer white guys but not because I feel like I need to suck up to them. I just like their look more. And its not just about her saying that she likes to hang out with white people more than brown. Hey go ahead its fine BUT it wasn't that alone. Its some of the other things she said that made me think she is self-hating. "I like eccentric people" Yeah because no brown person is eccentric. :rolleyes: She thinks Pakistani culture is boring. Fine. But to use her opinion on her culture to judge those girls and then to say that to OP as if its fact is wrong. In short if you look at each thing she said, it doesn't look bad. Put it all together and I think there is quite a bit of self-hatred going on. And I honestly don't see how EVERY SINGLE asian person she has come across can be that way? I really don't.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm half white/half Chinese and I tend to be attracted to white, middle eastern (Lebanese, Egyptian, Israeli etc), Pakistani or some Indian guys.

I think I prefer middle eastern/Pakistani but many are Muslim and I don't think they'd have a serious relationship with a non Muslim. Sigh
I'm half white/half Chinese and I tend to be attracted to white, middle eastern (Lebanese, Egyptian, Israeli etc), Pakistani or some Indian guys.

I think I prefer middle eastern/Pakistani but many are Muslim and I don't think they'd have a serious relationship with a non Muslim. Sigh

It depends on how strict they are. I think if you're Christian or Jewish should be ok :smile:
Ofcourse not. And yes I prefer white guys but not because I feel like I need to suck up to them. I just like their look more. And its not just about her saying that she likes to hang out with white people more than brown. Hey go ahead its fine BUT it wasn't that alone. Its some of the other things she said that made me think she is self-hating. "I like eccentric people" Yeah because no brown person is eccentric. :rolleyes: She thinks Pakistani culture is boring. Fine. But to use her opinion on her culture to judge those girls and then to say that to OP as if its fact is wrong. In short if you look at each thing she said, it doesn't look bad. Put it all together and I think there is quite a bit of self-hatred going on. And I honestly don't see how EVERY SINGLE asian person she has come across can be that way? I really don't.

I'm not saying anything your preferences that's totally up to you. Plenty of Indian guys prefer caucasian females and so its natural Indian girls would also have similar preferences. Perhaps she finds that the eccentricity she is attracted to is only in white guys just like the look you have is only in white guys. Why does it have to be different?
She can have opinions on cultures. Pakistani culture is not homogenous it depends on the people involved as well. Why does it become anti-asian if she doesn't identify with her culture.
I don't think there is self hatred just difference in opinion. To be honest i think for making such an accusation about Tara1 you owe her an apology.
Original post by brownicecream
I'm not saying anything your preferences that's totally up to you. Plenty of Indian guys prefer caucasian females and so its natural Indian girls would also have similar preferences. Perhaps she finds that the eccentricity she is attracted to is only in white guys just like the look you have is only in white guys. Why does it have to be different?
She can have opinions on cultures. Pakistani culture is not homogenous it depends on the people involved as well. Why does it become anti-asian if she doesn't identify with her culture.
I don't think there is self hatred just difference in opinion. To be honest i think for making such an accusation about Tara1 you owe her an apology.

I was talking about their LOOK. not their personality. are you honestly saying that brown people can't be 'eccentric'? i get it when people generalise looks in a race but personality is a whole different thing. ofcourse she can have opinions on cultures and i made it very clear from the beginning that i'm not judging her for finding pakistani culture boring. when you look at everything she said there is defo a hint a self-hatred. i've already tried to explain that to you. if you don't see it then fine, its ok. its my opinion and you don't have to like it. why are YOU getting all up in my face anyway?
and no i'm not going to say sorry because its what I think and it would be a false apology anyway.

are you a guy or a girl btw? just wondering
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm of South Asian origin and I would date a white guy. I've dated Asian and black...but white guys rarely tend to show any interst.
No, it isn't just a cultural thing. Yes, I am an Asian female (British citizen) and I genuinely don't find White men good looking in the slightest. I just don't like their skin colour, hair colour and facial features: pale blotchy skin, small eyes, thin lips etc. Most of my fellow Asian female friends also feel the same.

Most people prefer their own race - isn't this obvious?

lol, as opposed to the asian men I've met who are rude, have misogynist tendencies, can't spell, are mummy's boys, are short, have no jawline to speak of, dress badly and are generally unattractive in every way?
See, I can generalise too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Another Asian girl here who doesn't find (the vast majority of) white guys physically attractive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending