The Student Room Group

Lost the key to my bedroom door and need a new one. Advice/

Hello everyone

A few months ago, I lost the key to my bedroom door lock, I am now unable to lock my bedroom door because I dont have a key to do so with.

Is there any way I can get a new key for it? Or would I have to go out and buy a new door handle & key?

Thanks if anyone knows

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only thing that comes to mind is a locksmith?
What kind of key was it? If it's a generic one you might be able to find a replacement in a DIY store.
Reply 3
If theres no spare (ie. the landlord doesn't have a spare).
Most economical way is to replace the lock yes.
Original post by bloomblaze
Hello everyone

A few months ago, I lost the key to my bedroom door lock, I am now unable to lock my bedroom door because I dont have a key to do so with.

Is there any way I can get a new key for it? Or would I have to go out and buy a new door handle & key?

Thanks if anyone knows

Pay attention to the emphasised bit - where have you been sleeping those last few months? I have a feeling that there may be a troll amongst us ...
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Pay attention to the emphasised bit - where have you been sleeping those last few months? I have a feeling that there may be a troll amongst us ...

It just means he can't lock the door, not that he can't get in or out.
Original post by whyumadtho
It just means he can't lock the door, not that he can't get in or out.

Ah ok, that's me being a sleepyhead :colondollar:
You have three options:

1) If it is a rented property, see if the landlord has a spare. If they only have a master key, but they have a key that works all the locks, either get them to make you a new key at whatever cost they say or go to option 3.
2) Get a new cylinder/key combo. This is only ok if there is no other key to the lock that needs to work in the lock (e.g. landlord's key)
3) Get a locksmith to make a new key for the lock. Is doable, but expensive.
Reply 8
To be honest most landlords don't bother with master keys in my experience, I've done work for upwards of 40 seperate landlords and none of them had a master key for all the locks. In a lot of cases they didn't even have spares.
Reply 9
do a seagal and put your foot through it
Original post by Megaross
To be honest most landlords don't bother with master keys in my experience, I've done work for upwards of 40 seperate landlords and none of them had a master key for all the locks. In a lot of cases they didn't even have spares.

Mine does, as I had the master key for a day or two as the agency didn't have my set of keys, they were at the flat, so I was lent the office set until I got my set of keys from my flatmate.

So always best to check before you pay for a new lock, then lose part of your deposit from the landlord changing the lock again.
Why do you need to be able to lock the door?
Reply 12
Original post by funsongfactory
Why do you need to be able to lock the door?

I like my privacy
Reply 13
Yeah how else can you jack off undisturbed? :wink:

In all fairness I lock my door when I go out just incase one of my housemates leaves a downstairs window open, or the front door unlocked. I don't want all my stuff getting nicked.
And at night because I don't want a rude awakening by some crackhead looking for my wallet or a drunk housemate in the wrong room.
I like my privacy

Surely if you've managed for months without it you can't be that fussed?
Reply 15
Surely if you've managed for months without it you can't be that fussed?

I dont know what you mean 'managed for month without it'

I live at home with parents, I dont recall saying otherwise.
I dont know what you mean 'managed for month without it'
I live at home with parents, I dont recall saying otherwise.

Why would you talk about landlords if you live with your parents?
Reply 17

He didn't. Gotta learn to read man.
Reply 18

Where did I mention landlords?
Reply 19
Original post by Norton1
He didn't. Gotta learn to read man.

Thanks. Someone is alert!

Other people here started mentioning landlords, assuming its rented accomodation.

I dont know why that assumption was made.

Re going for months without it, its been a pain in the a55, i want to be able to lock it again, hence this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending