The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Glad I found this, I've got 4 tattoos ( 2 wrist, 2 feet) and thinking of getting another one before I start my course in September to remember something very important to me. Although i'm thinking of somewhere that wont be visible so shouldn't be an issue.
My two wrist tattoos are a flower and a cross with wings and a halo. could this one be a problem?, its not religious in my opinion it is a remembrance tattoo.
Original post by elliec1788
Glad I found this, I've got 4 tattoos ( 2 wrist, 2 feet) and thinking of getting another one before I start my course in September to remember something very important to me. Although i'm thinking of somewhere that wont be visible so shouldn't be an issue.
My two wrist tattoos are a flower and a cross with wings and a halo. could this one be a problem?, its not religious in my opinion it is a remembrance tattoo.

Would not have a problem with those, no matter I am a doctor or an ordinary patient. On the contrary, they sound nice. And if it is a problem, wear gloves to cover them. The two feet tattoos should not be a problem at all.
Reply 42
Original post by elliec1788

Not a problem. I wouldn't care if I had a student who had tattoos. As long as they're not offensive or anything then it doesn't matter. Nurses are people too!
Reply 43
As bad as it sounds I wear long sleeves to any interviews, although can't cover my fingers. But once you're in they can't do much anyway.
In the end generally it's just impractical to hide any on arms, neck, face and hands.
I want more of my arms done, but I think I might be pushing it if I get them after starting 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
I didn't even think about this to be honest. I have 4 Tattoo's but only 1 that's in a place that could be visible in Uniform etc - it's on the inside of my wrist and it's an Angel Wing with a Halo and cloud (to represent Heaven) and the writing Dad (obviously it's a rememberance Tattoo). I have applied to do Child Nursing at Uni this year and I wore a 3 quarter sleeve length blouse to my interview and didn't even think about the fact that my Tattoo was visible - anyway it can't have been an issue as I got offered a place. I used to work as a HCA in the Hospital where I will no doubt do some of my placements (granted on a different ward) and it was never even mentioned so I don't think it will be a problem. I have actually heard that it is discrimination now if you get asked to cover it. There has only ever been 1 place I have worked that I got asked to cover it and that was when I worked as a Kids Rep for Thomas Cook and had to use like a sweatband lol x
Reply 45
Original post by AmyH81
I didn't even think about this to be honest. I have 4 Tattoo's but only 1 that's in a place that could be visible in Uniform etc - it's on the inside of my wrist and it's an Angel Wing with a Halo and cloud (to represent Heaven) and the writing Dad (obviously it's a rememberance Tattoo). I have applied to do Child Nursing at Uni this year and I wore a 3 quarter sleeve length blouse to my interview and didn't even think about the fact that my Tattoo was visible - anyway it can't have been an issue as I got offered a place. I used to work as a HCA in the Hospital where I will no doubt do some of my placements (granted on a different ward) and it was never even mentioned so I don't think it will be a problem. I have actually heard that it is discrimination now if you get asked to cover it. There has only ever been 1 place I have worked that I got asked to cover it and that was when I worked as a Kids Rep for Thomas Cook and had to use like a sweatband lol x

Yeah they are only techniqually allowed to ask you to cover offensive ones now. But don't point that out to your charge nurse who is passing a tubeagrip because you'll get a look that could kill xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in my first year of nursing, so far I've had no negative comments. Obviously on my interview I hid them incase the interviewee was judgemental. But out on placement, many patients ask about the story behind my tattoos. I have one for my son so it leads on to other conversations and I feel it's a great story opener! Personally I don't think tattoos hinder you as their so popular nowadays!
Original post by Hollymattzack
I'm in my first year of nursing, so far I've had no negative comments. Obviously on my interview I hid them incase the interviewee was judgemental. But out on placement, many patients ask about the story behind my tattoos. I have one for my son so it leads on to other conversations and I feel it's a great story opener! Personally I don't think tattoos hinder you as their so popular nowadays!

That's great to know that people have been so positive.
I am a Sister and I have a tattoo on my wrist myself. It's never hindered me in my career and I couldn't really care less if one of my nurses, HCA's or students had tattoos unless they were offensive.
Original post by ButterflyRN
I am a Sister and I have a tattoo on my wrist myself. It's never hindered me in my career and I couldn't really care less if one of my nurses, HCA's or students had tattoos unless they were offensive.

And what a motive it is? I know it must not be offensive. Understand. But I am still curious.
Reply 50
And Im sure they would never work for a c***.
I had wrist tattoos when I was a student nurse and many more since. My personal opinion is that, as some people may not like them ( patients or families, I wouldn't cover for the sake of colleagues) I don't deliberately cover them all but I don't advertise them. For an interview I would defo cover because it can just be based on that first impression. Personally, I would not go anywhere that couldn't be covered by trousers and a long sleeved top
Don't worry - plenty of healthcare professionals have tattoos and they're visible at work.
Original post by orangeoranges
Don't worry - plenty of healthcare professionals have tattoos and they're visible at work.

I guess, the majority does not care the visibility of the tattoos, but the motive per se. What would patients think of a nurse or another healthcare professionals who are working in a hospital and wearing a grim reaper?
I don’t think you’d ever be in a position to employ anyone with that grammar/spelling anyway so no problem there.

Latest

Trending

Trending