The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spartz
Yeah I got it at Hendon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck; I am sure if you get the practice you will pass. How many lessons have u had if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by Advisor
The pass rate is down to the people taking their test there, not the busyness of the roads or number of car users.

Even in London, the test centres are in the outlying districts, not the city centre. The roads are no busier than at any other inner city test centre, such as those in Birmingham, Manchester or Glasgow. The population taking the test in inner city areas are generally ill-prepared, mostly as they've recently arrived in the country, but also because of a lack of willingness to spend money on lessons, as well as overpopulation leading to competition between instructors, in turn leading to poor instruction.

If you don't fall into any of those demographic groups and you've been well-prepared and feel confident in your own skills, you should breeze it.

I think you got a valid point there, but I also believe that theres no right answer or wrong answer.

The driving test for me seems to be very opinion based, as you could be a good driver who has done over 40+ hours of learning , but still fail the test due to something going wrong on the day.
Reply 2802
Original post by gunner4life95
I think you got a valid point there, but I also believe that theres no right answer or wrong answer.

The driving test for me seems to be very opinion based, as you could be a good driver who has done over 40+ hours of learning , but still fail the test due to something going wrong on the day.

Everything is flawed. You could be an amazing student, but have a headache on exam day.

The difference is that having a bad exam doesn't affect anyone else. Having a bad drive can cause an accident.

Even drivers who have passed will have things go wrong - but hopefully will be a better driver so it doesn't affect them that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2803
Good luck; I am sure if you get the practice you will pass. How many lessons have u had if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks man, I've had around 30hrs worth of driving .

In fact, I got the test tomorrow will let u know how I get on

Posted from TSR Mobile
so nervous for my 4th test tomorrow:frown:
really hoping this time will be the last.
Original post by flossicles
so nervous for my 4th test tomorrow:frown:
really hoping this time will be the last.

Good luck.
Original post by WildeAboutOscar
Good luck.

thank you so much! i'll either be posting here or in the passed thread tomorrow hahaha.

sick of taking the damn thing.
Reply 2807
you could be a good driver who has done over 40+ hours of learning , but still fail the test due to something going wrong on the day.
This is quite common, but to understand the truth (and how to succeed), you must understand what "goes wrong" and with whom.

So many times on this forum, I read "I failed because of someone else's bad driving". There are variations on this theme, but if I quoted three examples, you will find them awfully familiar.
1. "The examiner failed me because another car was speeding when I pulled out"
2. "The examiner failed me because the other car was/wasn't signalling when I pulled out"
3. "If the pedestrian hadn't stepped out (or car pulled out) in front of me, I'd have passed"

These examples all have two things in common: Firstly, that things do happen on the road that the driver isn't always expecting, and secondly, that the driver reacts to that happening in an unsafe manner.

Things will go wrong every day of your driving life. The day of your test is no different, but to be safe on the road, you have to anticipate and act correctly and safely.

In example 1, the reason for failure is not the other car speeding, but the driver's failure to recognise the excessive speed and close proximity of the car, then choosing to pull out into a potentially dangerous situation.

In example 2, the reason for failure is not the other cars' signals or lack thereof, but the driver's misinterpretation of where the car is actually going (including its speed and proximity) then again choosing to pull out into a potentially dangerous situation. At roundabouts, the lack of signal tells you the driver is likely to drive ahead directly in front of you, so to pull out is silly. At a T-junction, a left signal doesn't necessarily mean the driver will turn left, so pulling out is extremely risky until you see the driver is definitely slowing and turning.

Example 3 is a typical example of a novice driver's inattention and extremely late / non-existent reaction to obvious developing hazards. Those who struggled to pass the hazard perception test generally find this in their practical driving. Nothing on the road ever happens "suddenly", but those who drive while half asleep / while texting / daydreaming will tell you that "suddenly this happened" or "suddenly the car just appeared out of nowhere", but the reality is that the passenger or examiner saw the car coming ages ago, but you only noticed it when you could see the whites of the driver's eyes.

In summary, there is no lose/lose situation on any driving test nowadays. Every problem has a solution and there is a way of dealing with all unexpected events without committing any kind of fault. Once a fault is committed, there are levels of lateness / incorrectness before a fail is assessed. Brush up on your reactions and judgement skills and you can pass with a clean sheet even on the days when the world and his mother seems to be getting in your way.
Reply 2808
Just contributing my 2nd failure of the practical test today in the hopes that it makes someone else feel better about failing as this thread has already done for me!

Was a justified fail though. Got to a roundabout with 3 lanes and I was going for the 1st left. Traffic in the furthest 2 lanes wasn't going to my exit so I (retrospectively, somewhat stupidly) thought I could go into the 3rd lane and go out the 1st exit. Examiner explained (after failing) that the middle lane also can turn left at that exit so it could have been dangerous. 7 minors - though 3 rather harshly for being in neutral before coming to a stop at the side of the road, which the examiner said was bad practice as I may have to move off suddenly, which makes sense at a give-way/traffic light but not when I'm instructed to stop at the side of the road... but anyway.

First fail was pretty unlucky. Got to a roundabout and asked to take 4th exit. There were multiple lanes and the markings were a little faded and I thought I missed the lane to turn off for my exit so I stayed on the roundabout to go round again. Turns out I'd cut across a lane without realising and was in the correct lane all along.

Worst part is waiting for another test to become available! Felt better when I found out my housemate took 4 attempts though. Chin up anyone who's feeling **** for failing. It'll just make passing feel all the sweeter!
I failed my first time on Monday - 1 minor 1 major. It was all perfect until the last 10 or so minutes of the test. And then I ran a red light :mad::colondollar:
WHO DOES THAT?!!? WHO RUNS A RED LIGHT :mad: :mad: :mad:
Sat test first time. Failed with 2 majors and 9 minors. Not good I know. First major was retarded. Oversteered on a right turn at a junction and nearly hit the kerb. Must have been nerves. Second one was for observation at a really busy roundabout. Hesitated and entered too late, when a car was coming from the right, so examiner had to use brakes. I always struggle with entering roundabouts especially when they are really busy.
Reply 2811
Passed my test first time... Relief! Have hope guys it's not that hard just be calm... Honestly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keep going guys! I passed today on my fourth attempt! I thought I'd messed it up but I only got 3 minors so I am a happy bunny.

Please don't give up, you will get there, perseverance and having confidence in yourself is key! YOU CAN DO THIS! I know you get to a point where you think 'what is the use of this', but when you pass it makes it all seem worthwhile, and it's such a relief. Don't let it hang over you, no matter how many tries it takes, just do it!

My advice is to just make sure you're as comfortable with the test as you can be. For this test I changed where I did it and it made a huge difference. I felt so much more comfortable and happy and I found that the new centre was a much more friendly place to be, it had a much better atmosphere which meant I wasn't so on edge. I've had friends that have used a whole load of different things to get them through the test like little rituals and stuff but you've got to do what will make you happy. Also, if your instructor isn't working out for you then don't be afraid to change. You've got to feel confident.

I've been learning for over a year so I know it's disheartening, but don't expect yourself to be ready by a certain point. The main thing is that you're safe and confident in your ability to drive. Do the test when YOU are ready, not when someone thinks you should/when you feel you ought to.

Good luck guys, I send you all my best wishes and I hope that this gives you hope and motivation to keep going.
Get your game face on and just go for it! x
Reply 2813
I love this thread. I'm taking a practical test in a couple of weeks, this thread has been useful and especially fun to read, thanks to all the people who have posted on here, it's been a lot of fun reading through it :smile: I'm nervous just thinking about the test.
Failed my driving test for the 3rd time now. Upsetting because my instructor knows I can do it and I am so close to passing and I just keep failing on the observation part at roundabouts, junctions, etc. I can do the manoeuvres fine but keep failing elsewhere.
Expenses are getting really frustrating for me and my parents.
In my opinion, its too easy to fail and its really difficult to keep calm in the test. :frown:

Hopefully after a break because of college exams, I can get back to driving and pass this bluddy thing as it's starting to get me down now...
:frown:
Reply 2815
Last month I failed my test at Hither Green. Which in itself is justified because I had one serious fault (that's the only one!). But the way I was given feedback by the examiner was very offensive and derogatory. He (a certain Mr. S****) completely lost his temper at the end as if he wasn't the examiner. People with psychological issues shouldn't be driving test examiners.
Reply 2816
Original post by Ken_s
Last month I failed my test at Hither Green. Which in itself is justified because I had one serious fault (that's the only one!). But the way I was given feedback by the examiner was very offensive and derogatory. He (a certain Mr. S****) completely lost his temper at the end as if he wasn't the examiner. People with psychological issues shouldn't be driving test examiners.

That's awful. I remember my last two I had the same guy, and I just got a bad vibe from him. Tried to be friendly on my first test with him, and he snapped at me "do not talk, I am not your friend" which of course upset me before I even begun!
Reply 2817
Original post by Smeggles
That's awful. I remember my last two I had the same guy, and I just got a bad vibe from him. Tried to be friendly on my first test with him, and he snapped at me "do not talk, I am not your friend" which of course upset me before I even begun!

Wow unbelievable, I can't believe examiners can be so rude. I find this hard to believe especially as my examiner was so nice and conversational. But yeah you'll be surprised at what you come across in life sometimes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my driving test tomorrow morning 9:37. I hope this is the lucky one. Really nervous!

Sent from my GT-I9300
Reply 2819
Original post by sherlock5545
Got my driving test tomorrow morning 9:37. I hope this is the lucky one. Really nervous!

Sent from my GT-I9300

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes. I have mine in two weeks time.

Latest

Trending

Trending