The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
Original post by snikutsmullac
How long did it take you to revise for the theory?

I read the highway code for like 20 minutes on the morning of my test; I passed it, first time. The practical is the hard part. I failed twice.
Original post by Iridescenzo
I read the highway code for like 20 minutes on the morning of my test; I passed it, first time. The practical is the hard part. I failed twice.

Ha ha! Cool, I booked my theory test for June 5th, thinking it's going to take so long to study for because there are SO many questions, but after going through the CD I got given by my instructor I've done some mock tests and have been near enough passing every time. I'm tempted to re-book my test for sooner, like next week, get it out of the way :P

Have you got any tips for hazard perception please? I always seem to be too slow at noticing the hazard. Is it just practise?
Reply 2842
Ha ha! Cool, I booked my theory test for June 5th, thinking it's going to take so long to study for because there are SO many questions, but after going through the CD I got given by my instructor I've done some mock tests and have been near enough passing every time. I'm tempted to re-book my test for sooner, like next week, get it out of the way :P

Have you got any tips for hazard perception please? I always seem to be too slow at noticing the hazard. Is it just practise?

Better safe than sorry, basically. I clicked whenever I saw a car pulling out of a side road, or any other car (or object) that could be considered an obstruction of some kind.
Always look ahead, basically.
Original post by Iridescenzo
Better safe than sorry, basically. I clicked whenever I saw a car pulling out of a side road, or any other car (or object) that could be considered an obstruction of some kind.
Always look ahead, basically.

Alright, thanks
Failed for a second time this morning.
I needed to move over after the end of a bus lane to prepare for turning left at lights and so I indicated and I was checking my mirrors, starting to move over and the examiner said "wooooaaaahhhh you need to check your mirrors before you move over!!!!" and grabbed hold of the wheel (obviously to try and push me back into the other lane). I felt like I was literally checking them as she made that comment and so I answered back with "I did", and I think that got her narked.
IMO there was no need for her to grab the wheel as it just made me jumpy as BECAUSE I /DID/ CHECK MY MIRRORS I knew there was nothing there that I could've possibly collided with - meaning her taking the wheel would've been avoiding a crash.
I guess the problem wasn't her intervening which failed me, it was the fact that I didn't check my mirrors in her eyes... she could've just marked it down on my report and not said anything though, I don't understand why she needed to make a comment and/or intervene.. it just shook me up for the rest of my test.
After that, I was on a roundabout during my independent driving and I completely forgot where I was meant to be following signs for and I said "I'm sorry I don't know where I'm meant to be going" and she replied with "oh well we'll have to go all round the roundabout again then".. Well what would she've liked, me turn off at the wrong exit and had to re-direct me with which signs to follow from there?
Obviously because it was during my independent driving it was a(nother) serious thing but her attitude really just threw me. I knew I'd failed after the mirrors incident but I tried to keep on going.. I also got a serious for moving off in the wrong gear but I want to put that down to nerves and it was also after the mirrors incident, and I'm usually good with putting the car in 1st when I'm stopped.
When I got back in the test centre I had to do a bay park as my manoeuvre and I ended up over my lines but didn't attempt to correct it - no point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2845
Failed my theory today by 1 ****ing point on the hazard perception :frown:
Failed my second practical today :frown: 1 major - joining a duel carriageway and going into the right hand lane too early. I got 3 minors - 1 for undue hesitation, and 2 for stopping infront of a driveway while doing the angle start even though my examiner said 'we will only be here a short while, don't worry about driveways'...

Oh well, hopefully third time lucky :smile:
Reply 2847
You know the thing that concerns me? The "lesson" before the test. I'm about to go into my 4th (sigh!) and I've been doing hour lessons for ages now. With the lesson and the test, it'll be over 1 1/2 hours of driving. Is it silly that's concerning me?
Reply 2848
Failed my 2nd test yesterday! so annoying i couldn't see any speed signs so kept it safe and went at 30, on a 60 road, so he gave me a serious for that failure to progress, then on the parallel park i brushed the kerb, and it really was just a brush so i got a serious for control. and 4 minors.

I managed to get the 2 serious's right at the end of the test! sooooo annoying.
Got my theory test today, 2:30pm! Hope I pass!
Theory test is by far the easiest bit! You'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2851
i passed my UK driving test in 1963 Later moved to California and passed test there. Had no idea I was expected to exchange my UK license for new revised type. Returned to UK in 2010 Told I had to take test again as still had my
original license. Why
I passed, 46/50 on multiple choice and 49/75 on hazard perception, not the best score but a pass is a pass!
How long did it take you to revise for the theory?

A day. I just skimmed it really, you don't really need to revise per se, just understand what each of the signs mean. As people have mentioned, the practical is the intense bit.
I passed, 46/50 on multiple choice and 49/75 on hazard perception, not the best score but a pass is a pass!

Just seen your post.

Congratulations.
Failed my second test last week :frown: really fed up with driving now, just want to pass and have it over with
Original post by Nash96
Failed my second test last week :frown: really fed up with driving now, just want to pass and have it over with

What happened. If you go on statistics, it will just make you a safe and confident driver, each time you take your test.

Don't give up.
I failed my first test for going too fast in corners so I didn't have enough control on the steering and for hitting another car. I was coming down a busy street, with cars parked all along the left side and cars coming towards on the right, on a narrow road. Slowed right down to fit between oncoming car on right and parked car on the left. Unfortunately hit the wing mirror on the car on the left with my wing mirror. Thankfully no real damage as I was going incredibly slowly. Re-sitting my test in July :smile:
Just passed my 4th. I took Kalms beforehand, no idea if it helped or not! Honestly thought I failed during the test, and afterwards to be fair he did go over my minors (6) which were all mostly to do with awareness.

But yeah, stick at it guys, I went in thinking if I pass I pass, if I fail I just try again. Best mentality I reckon.
I failed my first attempt today - I had no minors throughout the entire test, but as I went to turn right from a junction and into the test centre at the very end of my test, I didn't see a car coming towards me on my left because they were in my blind spot and the examiner had to slam on the breaks! He'd already ticked pass and he had to scribble it out and tick fail! Unbelievable to think I failed very literally at the last minute! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending