The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariagoretti
Hyy guys,how much did you lot pay to your instructor on the test day to use his car and driving lesson before the test?
My instructor has asked me to pay £80 and I feel is outrageous.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine wanted £118 iirc.

£43 for 2 hours with the car (even though it was £23 per hour... Not sure what went off there with the maths)
£75 for the test fee (paid on my behalf and it was on a weekend)

If your instructor booked the test on your behalf it's a reasonable price as it sounds like it covers the test fee + an hour with the car.

However, if your instructor hasn't booked the test on your behalf (in other words, you or your parents have already paid the test fee) then I'd start asking questions.
Original post by TheMcSame
Mine wanted £118 iirc.

£43 for 2 hours with the car (even though it was £23 per hour... Not sure what went off there with the maths)
£75 for the test fee (paid on my behalf and it was on a weekend)

If your instructor booked the test on your behalf it's a reasonable price as it sounds like it covers the test fee + an hour with the car.

However, if your instructor hasn't booked the test on your behalf (in other words, you or your parents have already paid the test fee) then I'd start asking questions.

Hi,I booked and paid for driving test.I have no idea why I've been asked to pay £80. I'm gonna have to move my test and look for a new instructor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,I booked and paid for driving test.I have no idea why I've been asked to pay £80. I'm gonna have to move my test and look for a new instructor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or yknow.. ask them why it's that much.
Reply 5003
Failed my test today (first time)
5 minors
1 serious....The examinar said I was too close to the bus that was on my left so he failed me.
I was upset but I have gotten over it and I am ready to take it again. I really hope I pass next time because it's starting to get VERY expensive!!!!
Original post by Shorty94
Or yknow.. ask them why it's that much.

Yh I did ask him and he said to insure the examiner.Does that even make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh I did ask him and he said to insure the examiner.Does that even make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sort of makes sense, though I don't see why he has a policy that doesn't cover examiners if he knows that he's going to have students using it for a driving test.
Ugh i failed yday 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hyy guys,how much did you lot pay to your instructor on the test day to use his car and driving lesson before the test?
My instructor has asked me to pay £80 and I feel is outrageous.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's quite standard- sometimes it is 90
Original post by Heyapresto
Ugh i failed yday 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you pass next time!
Original post by Dee03
Failed my test today (first time)
5 minors
1 serious....The examinar said I was too close to the bus that was on my left so he failed me.
I was upset but I have gotten over it and I am ready to take it again. I really hope I pass next time because it's starting to get VERY expensive!!!!

Aww, I hope you pass next time. are you sure the bus wasn't the one close to you?
I reckon that should've been a minor only
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I always failed with 1 major too, so frustrating!

For my fourth test, I had been insured on my Dad's car for 6 weeks before the test date. We went out for a couple hours each saturday and sunday and went through test routes and maneuvers. Usually I would stop driving until about 2 weeks before the test and have 1 a week. I really feel like that extra time on the road helped me a lot, even though I was already test ready. It just helped me to cope in different situations and practise things I failed before on.

The actual test was a bit of a mess though! Even the examiner said it was a messy drive and told me to look into pass plus. I nearly had a meltdown after my parallel park because I thought I heard the tyre hit the kerb and I was so close to it! After that I was in a worried state all the way back to the test centre.

I think keeping calm and focused is the main thing to helping you pass!
I really hope you pass, good luck! :smile:

Thanks for this, inspirational! But yeah I failed miserably :colondollar: I literally panicked so badly, it was the worst of my 4 tests. As soon as I got in the car I told the examiner I was definitely going to fail, he told me to be more positive and was quite fair but I was basically driving like a d*** cause I just so badly expected to fail. Funnily enough I thought I failed way before I actually did, I basically wasn't even concentrating and I told the examiner that.

I think I am going to take a small break because I need to learn to control my nerves. I'm thinking maybe a month or two before I try again, I'm usually a confident person but I just go to bits in the driving test.

My advice to anyone taking their test - don't be too harsh on yourself, you might not have failed even if you think you did. Go in believing the best about your abilities as a driver, and if you fail then at least you tried your best instead of giving a half-assed performance. It sounds cliche but just have a bit of faith in yourself, and if you don't pass then it's not the end of the world!
Original post by ThunderRock
Thanks for this, inspirational! But yeah I failed miserably :colondollar: I literally panicked so badly, it was the worst of my 4 tests. As soon as I got in the car I told the examiner I was definitely going to fail, he told me to be more positive and was quite fair but I was basically driving like a d*** cause I just so badly expected to fail. Funnily enough I thought I failed way before I actually did, I basically wasn't even concentrating and I told the examiner that.

I think I am going to take a small break because I need to learn to control my nerves. I'm thinking maybe a month or two before I try again, I'm usually a confident person but I just go to bits in the driving test.

My advice to anyone taking their test - don't be too harsh on yourself, you might not have failed even if you think you did. Go in believing the best about your abilities as a driver, and if you fail then at least you tried your best instead of giving a half-assed performance. It sounds cliche but just have a bit of faith in yourself, and if you don't pass then it's not the end of the world!

Awww I'm really sorry to hear that :frown:
Try to do some mock tests with your instructor and treat them as a real test. Also try some meditation or breathing techniques to control your emotions in the test!
I failed my driving test for the second time today and this time I made even more mistakes than I did during the first time. After I brushed the kerb the examiner just sighed in the backseat and that just made me so paranoid that I jumped a red light. My driving instructor hit the brakes and that was it. I don't know what to do. I'm scared that I have to experience that for the third time
Original post by celia15
I failed my driving test for the second time today and this time I made even more mistakes than I did during the first time. After I brushed the kerb the examiner just sighed in the backseat and that just made me so paranoid that I jumped a red light. My driving instructor hit the brakes and that was it. I don't know what to do. I'm scared that I have to experience that for the third time

Try to get insured on your parents car and get a lot more experience in the car.
Do some mock tests with your instructor and ask them to not speak to mimic the sort of vibe a test would give you.

Try not to let bad test experiences ruin your confidence :smile:
Original post by celia15

My 2nd test went really really well and I still failed, and I thought there was no way my next test could go as good as that did. Then my next test was even better surprisingly, only 1 minor. Unfortunately, I failed that for a really silly reason, but it could have easily been avoided. The main thing is to just concentrate and focus on the road, even if you think you've failed!

Good luck on your next test.
Failed my first driving test yesterday :/ in first few mins I stalled on a mini roundabout through nerves and there was a taxi behind so it was due to affecting the car behind. Other than that it went really well and only got 4 minors! Tests are definitely a lot about luck as well... Apparently if the taxi hadn't been there I wouldn't have failed :/ somehow I think it's more annoying to fail like that when you are ready to pass that it is failing with loads of minors and majors as then you know you need a few more lessons. What do people think?
Hey, I failed today as well with only four minors and one major! i didn't double check my blind spot when pulling out and so failed..it's really gutting! but i guess at least it's something that we can always do again unlike a lot of things in life you know that you will get there eventually. I am so annoyed because if i had just glanced one more time than it would have turned out totally differently. Oh well..as they say - adversity makes one stronger! x
Original post by beth_ashman1997
Hey, I failed today as well with only four minors and one major! i didn't double check my blind spot when pulling out and so failed..it's really gutting! but i guess at least it's something that we can always do again unlike a lot of things in life you know that you will get there eventually. I am so annoyed because if i had just glanced one more time than it would have turned out totally differently. Oh well..as they say - adversity makes one stronger! x

you have to double check your blind spot? isnt once enough before the front end of the car swings out?

and what are your methods for the manouvers, the reverse round corner and parallel park?
Original post by Transitvan
you have to double check your blind spot? isnt once enough before the front end of the car swings out?
Usually once is enough, providing the check is made at the right moment and due regard is had for anything observed.

What happens more often than not, is that a learner driver may check too early, not be in gear, then after a while faffing about and getting the car ready, moves away into the path of danger having not checked again at the critical moment of moving. When this story is told down the chain of several people, many assume that you have to check twice or even several times, whereas a correctly timed and judged check need only be made once.
just thought I'd let everyone know, if you have the 'DRIVING TEST SUCCESS ALL TESTS CD' the emergency stop shown in the video is incorrect. It is not nearly as harsh enough and when you do an ES you need to make the car halt right there as if someone came out in front of your car, it's ok if the bags at the back etc at the back fly across to the front.

Latest

Trending

Trending