The Student Room Group

*** Dentistry 2013 Applications ***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slw
has anyone with a glasgow interview in feb, had any information sent to them about the schedule of the day etc also i believe the dental hospital is 'across town' and separate to the main university building, is this right ?

not got any info yet about the day...still waiting :P
Reply 1981
Original post by slw
has anyone with a glasgow interview in feb, had any information sent to them about the schedule of the day etc also i believe the dental hospital is 'across town' and separate to the main university building, is this right ?

Not had any info. Yeah the dental school is on sauchiehall street in the city centre
Reply 1982
Original post by ilyaasr
Not had any info. Yeah the dental school is on sauchiehall street in the city centre

ok, thanks :smile:
Reply 1983
Just want to say;
Sheffield and Liverpool are taking the piss.
Done.
Reply 1984
Original post by ASagoo
I still feel that my GCSE grades are poor though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that some Unis want at least 8A*s otherwise they don't consider you at all, no matter what else you get.
Also, some people get all A*s at GCSE and really good A2's and still not get in for dentistry. Is this because they are not a rounded character i.e. they do nothing else but work? Or is it something else?
I do understand that Unis do not just base their entry requirements on just GCSE's, but I just wanted to get a good start in life to 'create a base for the cake' and not do just as bad in my A Levels.

I'm just stressing out because I really want to do dentistry, and feel that I will not be accepted D:

Hey! So I thought I'd share my experiences with you. Rather foolishly, I applied for dentistry this year with zero work experience. I had a day at the A&E department in a hospital and that was it. So my personal statement was based more on academics and wider reading that I had done to show my interest in dentistry.
Predictably, I got rejected from Bart' s and Leed' s, but I contacted Kings through myapplication and told them about the work experience that I had managed to do in the October half term and I got an interview and now have a conditional offer. This was ONLY possible because I did well in my UKCAT. I scored 713 and if you focus on your UKCAT, do well and score around 700 or above, you are pretty much guaranteed an interview at Kings, as long as your application is relevant.
So my advice would be the same as other people's...Nail your UKCAT and choose your universities wisely. Don't let others bring you down by saying the competition is tough, because it is. You can only do so much and your GCSEs are perfectly fine. Practice Practice Practice for the UKCAT. Buy the book because it's really helpful. And study hard for your exams! Good luck for any January modules you may have!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1985
Original post by ZujajahM
Hey! So I thought I'd share my experiences with you. Rather foolishly, I applied for dentistry this year with zero work experience. I had a day at the A&E department in a hospital and that was it. So my personal statement was based more on academics and wider reading that I had done to show my interest in dentistry.
Predictably, I got rejected from Bart' s and Leed' s, but I contacted Kings through myapplication and told them about the work experience that I had managed to do in the October half term and I got an interview and now have a conditional offer. This was ONLY possible because I did well in my UKCAT. I scored 713 and if you focus on your UKCAT, do well and score around 700 or above, you are pretty much guaranteed an interview at Kings, as long as your application is relevant.
So my advice would be the same as other people's...Nail your UKCAT and choose your universities wisely. Don't let others bring you down by saying the competition is tough, because it is. You can only do so much and your GCSEs are perfectly fine. Practice Practice Practice for the UKCAT. Buy the book because it's really helpful. And study hard for your exams! Good luck for any January modules you may have!!

How did you do in your GCSEs and A Levels?
Also, what do unis expect for an 'interest in dentistry?' What I mean by this is that to what extent do unis expect you to read wider about dentistry, since you are only 17/18 years old and they obviously don't expect you to know the whole 5 year course? (I'm guessing that you would say to do as much reading as you can).
Reply 1986
anyone else got an interview for dundee and/or glasgow and not received much information from them apart from the invitation email?
Original post by mears
I just graduated from Sheffield in dentistry this year - why are they taking the piss? As in what they are wanting you to get in terms of grades?

As for my grades i got 4A*, 3A, 2B and 1 C and then 5A at a-level - i had 2 week work experience and made a model plane to show manual dexterity, lol. I also helped out with a local charity to give people some experiences they had always wanted.

If you make it to interview they want you, they are just making sure you arent something crazy compared to your personal statement.

I got into Newcastle, Leeds and obviously Sheffield. My fourth choice of Dundee turned me down as my grades werent high enough i think - that was my safe bet of a choice as well!

What the person meant was that they're taking too long giving replies out. They interview on the 8th and 9th March only so give interview decisions out in February most likely.

Oooh you graduated! Congrats! :biggrin:
If I get an interview, would you mind if I asked you a few questions about Sheffield or your interview performance..? Could really do with an experienced opinion, if they like me enough to interview :confused:
Reply 1988
Original post by racheeel
anyone else got an interview for dundee and/or glasgow and not received much information from them apart from the invitation email?

Me... I just know where/when to turn up at Glasgow, but I can't find the 'link to page 4,5 and 6' that we need to print off. Don't know where I'm going for Dundee. When are your interviews?
Reply 1989
Original post by racheeel

yeah same, i've got a glasgow interview on 3rd feb. And haven't heard anything which is really annoying because i need to book accommodation and travel. I'm going to email them just to find out how long we should expect to be there so i know if i will be able to travel home that day or not :smile:
Reply 1990
Original post by ilyaasr
Me... I just know where/when to turn up at Glasgow, but I can't find the 'link to page 4,5 and 6' that we need to print off. Don't know where I'm going for Dundee. When are your interviews?

Hi i also have an interview at glasgow but don't even know when/ where i am to turn up as i had to ask for an alternative date so was just given a time for my personal interview. Can i ask what information you have on the day and how you got it , thanks :smile:
I think for Dundee we're at the Dental School on the main campus? Does anyone have any idea if after the interview we have something like a questions session or talk with any current students/admissions staff? I had those at another interview but have no idea when to guess this one will finish - need to book trains! :rolleyes:
Also, any idea if we just hang around and wait for the tours of the school? I'm at 1.30 so assuming I'll be done interviewing by 3 but the tour for the afternoon lot is at 4.40 :s-smilie:

Sorry for all the rambley questions, my interview is a week today so panicking a bit :eek:
Reply 1992
Original post by mears
I just graduated from Sheffield in dentistry this year - why are they taking the piss? As in what they are wanting you to get in terms of grades?

As for my grades i got 4A*, 3A, 2B and 1 C and then 5A at a-level - i had 2 week work experience and made a model plane to show manual dexterity, lol. I also helped out with a local charity to give people some experiences they had always wanted.

If you make it to interview they want you, they are just making sure you arent something crazy compared to your personal statement.

I got into Newcastle, Leeds and obviously Sheffield. My fourth choice of Dundee turned me down as my grades werent high enough i think - that was my safe bet of a choice as well!

No I mean they're taking a long time to respond, they havent sent any interviews/rejections at all. Its kind of annoying since you send off the application early and still it takes them longer than any other course. Not only that but other unis have already finished their interviews and sent out offers. it just doesnt make sense.
Reply 1993
Original post by rawragee
I think for Dundee we're at the Dental School on the main campus? Does anyone have any idea if after the interview we have something like a questions session or talk with any current students/admissions staff? I had those at another interview but have no idea when to guess this one will finish - need to book trains! :rolleyes:
Also, any idea if we just hang around and wait for the tours of the school? I'm at 1.30 so assuming I'll be done interviewing by 3 but the tour for the afternoon lot is at 4.40 :s-smilie:

Sorry for all the rambley questions, my interview is a week today so panicking a bit :eek:

My interview is at 1.10! Will probably see you there! Do you think the interview will last till 3? :/ What interviews have you had so far, how did they go?
Dundee's my first one and i've got Newcastle next Thursday and Glasgow after that.
Original post by alam95
My interview is at 1.10! Will probably see you there! Do you think the interview will last till 3? :/ What interviews have you had so far, how did they go?
Dundee's my first one and i've got Newcastle next Thursday and Glasgow after that.

Aw yeah we're in the same group then! :smile: Well it's seven minutes at each station and there's ten stations, and there will probably be say two minutes between each station so that ends up at ~80 minutes? Maybe? I'm not sure, just guesstimating :wink:
I had an interview at King's back in December, it didn't go very well oops :redface: I've got Glasgow too! Mine's on the 2nd.
Reply 1995
Aw yeah we're in the same group then! :smile: Well it's seven minutes at each station and there's ten stations, and there will probably be say two minutes between each station so that ends up at ~80 minutes? Maybe? I'm not sure, just guesstimating :wink:
I had an interview at King's back in December, it didn't go very well oops :redface: I've got Glasgow too! Mine's on the 2nd.

Ahh yeah you are probably right! Aww well it serves as a practice for these ones then! :smile: My glasgow interview is on the 2nd as well lol

Hi, you mentioned that your interview is a week today, I thought they didn't start till the 16th? Anyway, best of luck! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1997
Birmingham interview!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FutureDent.
Hi, you mentioned that your interview is a week today, I thought they didn't start till the 16th? Anyway, best of luck! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No mine's definitely on the 14th :smile: I think the options were 14th, 16th, 17th and then some in February!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1999
Original post by viks_1
Birmingham interview!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done man.. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest