The Student Room Group

*** Dentistry 2013 Applications ***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by ansy123
I think it depends where you apply (different unis wanted different things it seemed to me) but yeah I think they are being more lax because it's so hard to get work experience nowadays . . . If you've included work experience and reflected upon it in your p statement then that's the main thing that counts (in my opinion) :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

See, I agree with this thinking too. It's reassuring haha!
I reckon I reflected well within the character limit they gave... I remember reading somewhere that some unis reconfirm the duration with applicants anyway? Correct me someone?
Reply 981
Original post by sangchu
See, I agree with this thinking too. It's reassuring haha!
I reckon I reflected well within the character limit they gave... I remember reading somewhere that some unis reconfirm the duration with applicants anyway? Correct me someone?

Glad to be reassuring (probably partly to reassure myself haha) :wink: I'm not sure about duration confirmation, but at the open days I went to, many emphasised quality of work experience over quantity. Let's not worry too much :smile:
Do you guys think Plymouth will have received a lot of applications this year in comparison to the other dental schools or less than others?
(edited 11 years ago)
has anyone else NOT received a confirmation e mail from manchester?
Reply 984
I have applied to Plymouth University for dentistry, but I'm not really sure what their selection process is like and was hoping to seek some information from people on this site who may know.
Does anyone know what they look for in particular when assessing out applications? Also when will they be carrying out the interviews and what style of interviews do they have? Thanks.
Original post by Divd
I have applied to Plymouth University for dentistry, but I'm not really sure what their selection process is like and was hoping to seek some information from people on this site who may know.
Does anyone know what they look for in particular when assessing out applications? Also when will they be carrying out the interviews and what style of interviews do they have? Thanks.

Not sure if anyone knows since they went from GEP to 5 year. Last year I got the impression they preferred people with a healthcare background and were more inclined towards people who could demonstrate a caring, ethical nature. So, pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum to KCL.

I got turned down for not having any voluntary exp.
Reply 986
Original post by cptKernow
Not sure if anyone knows since they went from GEP to 5 year. Last year I got the impression they preferred people with a healthcare background and were more inclined towards people who could demonstrate a caring, ethical nature. So, pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum to KCL.

I got turned down for not having any voluntary exp.

Thanks for the reply. So you're a grad? I am too! My academics are mediocre, but my work exp is pretty strong. I've done voluntary work in a primary school and hospice, and also had jobs as a nursing assistant. I'm currently working in clinical research. How has your application changed since last year? I hope you're right about Plymouth placing emphasis on non-academic factors. Where else have you applued?
Reply 987
Original post by Divd

I rang up and asked and I don't think they even have a selection process! She told me they don't look at PS, no UKCAT and they'll only look at most recent achieved grades

Original post by Divd
How has your application changed since last year?
Where else have you applued?

I've done quite a lot of voluntary work at the Cheshire Home and with an Alzheimer's group. Also tweaked my PS and now have confirmed grades from my last degree.

I haven't applied anywhere else - have kids in Cornwall so can't go anywhere further away.

Original post by Doctor.
I rang up and asked and I don't think they even have a selection process! She told me they don't look at PS, no UKCAT and they'll only look at most recent achieved grades

Kind of suits me if this is the case but I'd imagine they could draw on their experience of running a 5yr med course...
Reply 989
Original post by rickydentistry
has anyone else NOT received a confirmation e mail from manchester?

Me!
Anyone know if Sheffield sends out confirmation emails?
Original post by 1234lime
Anyone know if Sheffield sends out confirmation emails?

I haven't got anything from them :confused:
Original post by rawragee

hmm yeah neither. I guess it doesn't really matter a huge amount though as long as it's on Track.
Reply 993

I don't think Sheffield do send out confirmations.
Reply 994
Hey, anyone who has applied to Birmingham, have you guys recieved any acknowledgement of application? I haven't recieved any confirmation from them but I did last year! :/
Reply 995
Original post by Sim765
Hey, anyone who has applied to Birmingham, have you guys recieved any acknowledgement of application? I haven't recieved any confirmation from them but I did last year! :/

Exactly the same as me. I did last year but nothing this year. It's the same with kings for me, I haven't even received that portal thing this year, slightly worried.

Reply 996

I wondered this as well. I've got it on track but no confirmation email so far.
Reply 997
I got an email from Dundee today, was very very excited until I found it was a "random anonymous invitation to complete a UKCAT survey" :redface: the questions on it make my school sound awful, practically everything was no/poor.. oops.

haha I got the same email and it made me realise that my school offered virtually no help whatsoever, when they couldve done :/
Original post by mariamm
haha I got the same email and it made me realise that my school offered virtually no help whatsoever, when they couldve done :/

my school was basically like "dentistry? okay off you pop then" :redface: to be fair, think I'm the first one in 10+ years to want to do it, they were really clueless when it came to me, they didn't even know I had to sit the UKCAT :rolleyes:
Reply 999
my school was basically like "dentistry? okay off you pop then" :redface: to be fair, think I'm the first one in 10+ years to want to do it, they were really clueless when it came to me, they didn't even know I had to sit the UKCAT :rolleyes:

loll! nah my school has quite a few dental applicants each year (saying that though, i can only think of 2 others who are applying this year) and a load of med school applicants too. So no excuse for my school.. Anyway, that stage is over now. I'm so scared for interviews :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest