The Student Room Group

Dinner or tea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
The way I view it, dinner is the main evening meal and tea is a small snack shortly afterwards.

I have always viewed tea as a small snack before dinner.
Reply 21
Dinner :biggrin: I don't get why people call dinner tea? Something to do with the timing?
(edited 12 years ago)
For me it goes

Breakfast, luncheons, Supper,
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner :u:

Tea is the drink :wink:

I'm a southerner :biggrin:
Reply 24
It's not a North/South thing, it's entirely an upper&middle/working class thing.

When I hear someone say 'tea' instead of diner, they are always of the labourer type. I've never heard a middle or upper-class person call dinner 'tea'.

Tea is a drink, and perhaps can be also used when you actually mean 'snack time'.

In my book:
'Tea' = unemployed
'Dinner' = employed.
Reply 25
I've started using dinner since coming to uni, solves so many problems. BUT in my heart it will always be tea.
Reply 26
its tea, as i call them breakfast, lunch and tea. though occasionally lunch will be referred to as dinner, because at school and nursaries it is referred to sometimes as dinnertime.

also i am neither a northener or a southener, im from the midlands!
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
The way I view it, dinner is the main evening meal and tea is a small snack shortly afterwards.

I thought supper was the small snack afterward.

The only time I use 'tea' as a meal is on Sunday, if you've had a roast for lunch, then the flapjacks, crumpets, bread and stuff in the evening is 'tea'.

From Hong Kong.
Tea, but no option for being a Midlander.
Tea. You have breakfast, dinner then tea. :yep:

Just out of interest, what do people who have lunch then dinner call school dinners? :ninja:

EDIT:
Original post by Baller
In my book:
'Tea' = unemployed
'Dinner' = employed.

Seriously? Because that's not ignorant in the slightest :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Dinner for evening meal.
When I used to come home from school around 4ish and was younger, I used to have tea/milk and biscuits and always associated 'tea time' with what would be considered afternoon tea.
First time I heard tea as in an evening meal was quite late (y11) and it turns out I was the only one who didn't know it was equivalent to 'dinner' due to being given away by my facial expression when somebody said they "had pizza and chips for tea last night" o.O
I'm used to it now, though have to consciously remind myself in my head that people usually mean (my) "dinner" when they say (their) "tea".
Reply 31
I interchange between dinner and tea for the evening meal and I am a northerner.
(edited 12 years ago)
Dinner, Southerner. Although that is only when the main (hot) meal of the day is in the evening. If I've had a roast for lunch or something, then whatever I have in the evening (like a sandwich) is tea. Just to be confusing :smile:
dinner! :cool:

and techinally im from the east midlands :P but i haven't lived there since i was 5! :/ x
Reply 34
I call it tea and I'm from the midlands.

My mealtimes are thus:

Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and supper, although I very rarely eat either breakfast or supper.

Sunday dinner is always served at tea time in our house just to be confusing :P.My husband is a Southerner and he calls it "Tea" too.
(edited 12 years ago)
I generally tend to fluctuate between the two, but I think I tend to say tea at home more and dinner with friends.
I have always dinner to my evening and I'm a northerner, because I'm a North German. Indeed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37

A far more pressing dilemma.
Dinner, because I'm not a savage. I got so confused the first time I heard tea...
where is your place for midlanders?!
haha, i say tea. :smile: this kind of conversation came up in my english class, and tea is apparently from working class roots, whereas middle/upper class people tend to say dinner? it's kind of blurred nowadays though.

Quick Reply

Latest