The Student Room Group

Anybody else really worried about their Highers?

Scroll to see replies

1. Higher HE: Fashion &Textiles Technology, History, Business Management and Photography
2. ABBB
3. ABBC/ACBC
4. BB for Caley B for RGU

got ABC in my highers last year
C was in English which I was surprised I even passed with the horrible teacher I had, I was one of 6 in my class to pass out of about 30, A was in RMPS which I was told I would fail haha and B was in Admin
done int 2 History and Care too and got BC
Reply 61
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
I know a C is a pass! Its so annoying. When my guidance teacher gave me my breakdown it was a C5 too, so only a few percent off a B!

Yeah I have absaloutley no idea how Glasgow gave me a conditional haha (it was of 1A so not too harsh either). My guidance teacher thought it was a mixture of my personal statement and the highers which I sat.

I decided not to firm that one cause my twin brother is going there (he got 5As! grrr) and everyone at the applicant day had results like AAAAB and AAABB so I sort of felt out of my depth. Plus the fact my parents can't really afford both me and my brother to move away. If I go to Aberdeen I can carry on my part time job so they want me to do that.

Hope to see you at Aberdeen! :smile: Good luck!

Also are you staying in halls at Aberdeen? :smile:

I know! It's so frustrating. Yeah, same with me! I was 1, 3 and 5 marks off a B for Chemistry, Music and Maths respectively last year. So close :frown: Also, I should have had an A/B for Music last year, but I chose to do it with technology and everyone in my class was awarded a meagre 15/30 for the MIDI project :angry: and my teacher didn't let me re-record my practical. RAGE. Also, he predicted me a C on my UCAS form this year. RAGE x2 (I am on course to get an A).

Yeah, that's awesome about your conditional to Glasgow, and at least it gave you another option! :smile: Aberdeen sounds like the perfectplace anyway, and you're sure to get in! :biggrin:

Hope to see you at Aberdeen too! (Although I'm really starting to worry that I won't get in :frown: ) I'd love to go to Aberdeen so that I can pick Gaelic back up again as well!

Yeah, I'm planning on staying in halls. I live about 150miles away so will be a bit of a trek (and a ferry!) back home, but that's cool with me! I'm presuming from what you've said that you live in Aberdeen? Are you thinking of going to halls or staying at home?
Original post by rawragee
how is everyone revising for English? :confused:
I'm really struggling to remember/learn my quotes :frown:

Original post by ..lauren
I'm just learning theme/plot(key scenes)/character/setting/structure for both of my texts. I'm not learning quotes either.

Having done the Higher twice -- I passed the first time (2008-2009) but retook it (2010-2011) because I wanted a better grade -- I would definitely recommend learning the quotes. Both times I sat the Higher I was given the same text (Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell) and my grades were much better the second time despite me not even bothering to re-read the book simply because I memorised a quote sheet my lecturer gave me. The structure I followed for each paragraph was: point > quote > relate point to quote and the essay question and then repeated this as many times as possible in the time limit. :smile:

Spent the past two hours revising metaphysics (free will) and critical thinking for philosophy. I typed up and printed off everything I felt was important to memorise (key terminology and points that will boost marks fast) and between yesterday & today's sessions it came to 6,000 words! o___o At least all I need to do now is memorise the key points.
Original post by Lewis_Mac
I know! It's so frustrating. Yeah, same with me! I was 1, 3 and 5 marks off a B for Chemistry, Music and Maths respectively last year. So close :frown: Also, I should have had an A/B for Music last year, but I chose to do it with technology and everyone in my class was awarded a meagre 15/30 for the MIDI project :angry: and my teacher didn't let me re-record my practical. RAGE. Also, he predicted me a C on my UCAS form this year. RAGE x2 (I am on course to get an A).

Yeah, that's awesome about your conditional to Glasgow, and at least it gave you another option! :smile: Aberdeen sounds like the perfectplace anyway, and you're sure to get in! :biggrin:

Hope to see you at Aberdeen too! (Although I'm really starting to worry that I won't get in :frown: ) I'd love to go to Aberdeen so that I can pick Gaelic back up again as well!

Yeah, I'm planning on staying in halls. I live about 150miles away so will be a bit of a trek (and a ferry!) back home, but that's cool with me! I'm presuming from what you've said that you live in Aberdeen? Are you thinking of going to halls or staying at home?

Ucch thats so annoying. My C was at English and I got a B at the prelim which made it even more annoying D: I could not imagine doing a degree in English haha but I take it thats your thing. Never done maths, music or chemistry so I can't comment on what their like.

And no I live like 20 miles away from Aberdeen but I want to get out cause I hate my town haha so I'll be staying in halls if I get in :smile:

Can you speak Gaelic by the way or is it just something that interests you? :smile:
Reply 64
Ucch thats so annoying. My C was at English and I got a B at the prelim which made it even more annoying D: I could not imagine doing a degree in English haha but I take it thats your thing. Never done maths, music or chemistry so I can't comment on what their like.

And no I live like 20 miles away from Aberdeen but I want to get out cause I hate my town haha so I'll be staying in halls if I get in :smile:

Can you speak Gaelic by the way or is it just something that interests you? :smile:

Damn, that's unlucky! Did you not try to appeal it? Yeah, I love English :smile: Chemistry is a horrendously difficult Higher, but my teacher is the funniest person ever so I wasn't too bothered about re-sitting it, and I got an A in my prelim! :biggrin: How did your prelims go?

Oh I see! Fair enough :P You'll get to meet some awesome new people and sesh it up! I can't really speak Gaelic although I did get an A in Higher learners last year and I really enjoyed it! Best class last year was Higher Gaelic - three of us and the teacher, the lessons consisting primarily of good banter, tea drinking and eating copious amounts of food (goes some way to explaining the weight I gained last year... :s-smilie: ) Haha! Good times :biggrin:
Damn, that's unlucky! Did you not try to appeal it? Yeah, I love English :smile: Chemistry is a horrendously difficult Higher, but my teacher is the funniest person ever so I wasn't too bothered about re-sitting it, and I got an A in my prelim! :biggrin: How did your prelims go?

Oh I see! Fair enough :P You'll get to meet some awesome new people and sesh it up! I can't really speak Gaelic although I did get an A in Higher learners last year and I really enjoyed it! Best class last year was Higher Gaelic - three of us and the teacher, the lessons consisting primarily of good banter, tea drinking and eating copious amounts of food (goes some way to explaining the weight I gained last year... :s-smilie: ) Haha! Good times :biggrin:

I don't know whether my teacher appealed or not actually haha I never asked him. I didn't really mind English that much I just never really got what the questions were asking and didn't get how to revise for it :tongue:

Your Gaelic class sounds ace, we don't get ace teachers like that at my school :P Also all my classes had like 20/30 people in them not three, that sounds better though :smile: Gaelic sounds quite interesting to do at uni. I did Higher French and got an A, no idea how haha but I don't think I can take that one to uni level. Thinking of doing History along side Geography when I get there, possibly Archaeology too.

Haha don't even mention prelims to me....

Yeah thats another reason why I want to go to halls cause the social side is so good (apparently). Plus quite alot of people from my school will be going to RGU (alot less got offers to Aberdeen) so I should still keep in touch with alot of them. Also I'll get to go home on weekends when I need to go to work, and I'll get my room to MYSELF cause my brother will be in Glasgow. (This is all depending on whether I meet my conditions or not :tongue:)

Are you not nervous moving such a long way from home? I would be. Fingers crossed we both pass these exams then haha
Reply 66
I don't know whether my teacher appealed or not actually haha I never asked him. I didn't really mind English that much I just never really got what the questions were asking and didn't get how to revise for it :tongue:

Your Gaelic class sounds ace, we don't get ace teachers like that at my school :P Also all my classes had like 20/30 people in them not three, that sounds better though :smile: Gaelic sounds quite interesting to do at uni. I did Higher French and got an A, no idea how haha but I don't think I can take that one to uni level. Thinking of doing History along side Geography when I get there, possibly Archaeology too.

Haha don't even mention prelims to me....

Yeah thats another reason why I want to go to halls cause the social side is so good (apparently). Plus quite alot of people from my school will be going to RGU (alot less got offers to Aberdeen) so I should still keep in touch with alot of them. Also I'll get to go home on weekends when I need to go to work, and I'll get my room to MYSELF cause my brother will be in Glasgow. (This is all depending on whether I meet my conditions or not :tongue:)

Are you not nervous moving such a long way from home? I would be. Fingers crossed we both pass these exams then haha

Aye, a lot of my classes are quite small; in Music there are only six of us, Chemistry only six doing Higher and five doing Int 2 in the same class. Then about twelve in Maths and three in AH English. You'd think it would mean quiet classrooms... it does not :P Haha, I can't imagine having 20/30 people in every class at school! Too crowded.

Archaeology sounds pretty cool! I've no idea how you can stomach a Geography degree though :P it's my most hated of subjects. I got a 4 in SG as I was ill during the general paper and had to be sent home before the credit (just as well I did go home, vomiting in the exam hall wouldn't have been a good thing for anyone concerned) then the SQA never gave me an appeal to a 2. RAGE.

Oh, I'm sure your prelims can't have went that badly? Did you do yours quite early in the year? We did ours in mid-March which is apparently later than normal.

Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to the social aspect. I can be quite shy when meeting new people, but after a few drinks I'm sure I'll be as loud and obnoxious as ever! :biggrin: Oh cool, sounds like you have it all worked out then :smile: I'm not nervous at the moment, to be honest I'm just really excited to get away! No doubt I will be terrified closer to the time though :redface: Yes! Fingers crossed!
1. Higher Business Management, Higher History, Higher Maths and Higher French (did Int2 Art and Biology along with Higher Admin, English and Maths in 5th year. I got ABBDF so I decided to resit Maths but just ditched English, I could've done a lot better I didn't try hard enough).
2. This year I hope to get ABCC minimum but preferably ABBC or above.
3. I think I'll get ABCC but I'm going to try and put a lot of work in to bring it up.
4. I didn't apply for uni, only college. I have a unconditional to do HNC Travel & Tourism which then leads me onto Napier.

I would love a A for history and at the start of the year I thought it was possible as I get As on my essays etc but then I was unwell for over a month which meant I missed loads especially the Germany topic and paper 2 source questions (on Scottish Migration & Empire) so if anyone has any tips etc it'd be much appreciated!
(edited 11 years ago)
Aye, a lot of my classes are quite small; in Music there are only six of us, Chemistry only six doing Higher and five doing Int 2 in the same class. Then about twelve in Maths and three in AH English. You'd think it would mean quiet classrooms... it does not :P Haha, I can't imagine having 20/30 people in every class at school! Too crowded.

Archaeology sounds pretty cool! I've no idea how you can stomach a Geography degree though :P it's my most hated of subjects. I got a 4 in SG as I was ill during the general paper and had to be sent home before the credit (just as well I did go home, vomiting in the exam hall wouldn't have been a good thing for anyone concerned) then the SQA never gave me an appeal to a 2. RAGE.

Oh, I'm sure your prelims can't have went that badly? Did you do yours quite early in the year? We did ours in mid-March which is apparently later than normal.

Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to the social aspect. I can be quite shy when meeting new people, but after a few drinks I'm sure I'll be as loud and obnoxious as ever! :biggrin: Oh cool, sounds like you have it all worked out then :smile: I'm not nervous at the moment, to be honest I'm just really excited to get away! No doubt I will be terrified closer to the time though :redface: Yes! Fingers crossed!

How can you have so few people in your classes? Do you go to a private school or is it just a small school? :smile:

Haha just as well you didn't throw up in the exam hall. Would have been a bit of a Will from the inbetweeners moment :tongue: And nooo geography is ace! I don't like the physical sciencey bit that much, I'm more into the human/social side.

Prelims were hmmm but we'll see how the exams go haha

Sames I'm pretty shy around new people too but whenever I get drunk the alcohol just comes straight back up again haha. By the sounds of things after freshers my liver is going to be wrecked :biggrin:

Yeah I'm sure you'll miss your hometown more than you think when you leave :tongue:. You said you needed to get a ferry to Aberdeen, do you live in Orkney or something?
Reply 69
How can you have so few people in your classes? Do you go to a private school or is it just a small school? :smile:

Haha just as well you didn't throw up in the exam hall. Would have been a bit of a Will from the inbetweeners moment :tongue: And nooo geography is ace! I don't like the physical sciencey bit that much, I'm more into the human/social side.

Prelims were hmmm but we'll see how the exams go haha

Sames I'm pretty shy around new people too but whenever I get drunk the alcohol just comes straight back up again haha. By the sounds of things after freshers my liver is going to be wrecked :biggrin:

Yeah I'm sure you'll miss your hometown more than you think when you leave :tongue:. You said you needed to get a ferry to Aberdeen, do you live in Orkney or something?

No it's just a small school :smile: Haha aye it probably would have been a bit like the Inbetweeners! Although I think throwing up would have been slightly less embarrassing :P particularly as my friends have all seen me throw up before...woops!

Yeah, that's fair enough. But who wants to learn about the properties of soil!? Haha, I guess I can't talk as most people think I'm crazy for wanting to teach English.

I'm sure your exams will go much more smoothly than your prelims :biggrin: Aye man, I also intend on getting my sesh on! To paraphrase Andrew WK: "Party Till You Puke!" - I think that may be my motto for next year!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I will miss my hometown, it's a really nice place! But I'm just looking forward to experiencing somewhere new :smile: No, I'm not on Orkney. I live on the Isle of Mull off the west coast. Specifically in the town of Tobermory (AKA 'Balamory') ... :colondollar:

When's your first exam? I have mine on Wednesday (Music) AARRRGGGHHH PANIC!!!!
No it's just a small school :smile: Haha aye it probably would have been a bit like the Inbetweeners! Although I think throwing up would have been slightly less embarrassing :P particularly as my friends have all seen me throw up before...woops!

Yeah, that's fair enough. But who wants to learn about the properties of soil!? Haha, I guess I can't talk as most people think I'm crazy for wanting to teach English.

I'm sure your exams will go much more smoothly than your prelims :biggrin: Aye man, I also intend on getting my sesh on! To paraphrase Andrew WK: "Party Till You Puke!" - I think that may be my motto for next year!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I will miss my hometown, it's a really nice place! But I'm just looking forward to experiencing somewhere new :smile: No, I'm not on Orkney. I live on the Isle of Mull off the west coast. Specifically in the town of Tobermory (AKA 'Balamory') ... :colondollar:

When's your first exam? I have mine on Wednesday (Music) AARRRGGGHHH PANIC!!!!

Sames haha freshers will be mint :biggrin:

You have a point :colondollar:, that bit of geography is actually pretty boring haha. Its more like the social science bit I like which is a bit like politics.

Yeah you are pretty crazy for wanting to be an English teacher haha. Thats something I could never do but atleast you don't want to be an author or something like that haha.

Errm well hopefully. My prelim scores weren't too bad. I think it was the fact my conditional came through when I was sitting them and I just panicked a bit too much!

Oh cool you live in Balamory! :biggrin: 'Whats the story in... Nah I won't bother :tongue: Does that not get a bit boring though? Like where do you shop and how do you go to concerts? I'm lucky I live pretty close to Aberdeen so I can do quite alot of stuff. You'll enjoy Aberdeen, its a pretty ace city. The area around the university, Tillydrone can be a bit rough but overall the city is nice. Its not too big either so you'll get to grips with it quickly.

I have my philosophy exam tomorow argghhh!!! Hopefully I do better than I did at the prelim haha. Although I should be revising right now :colondollar:. Then I have Modern Studies on Friday so only two proper days to revise, gonna be a cram :frown:

Good luck for Wednesday, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
Reply 71
Sames haha freshers will be mint :biggrin:

You have a point :colondollar:, that bit of geography is actually pretty boring haha. Its more like the social science bit I like which is a bit like politics.

Yeah you are pretty crazy for wanting to be an English teacher haha. Thats something I could never do but atleast you don't want to be an author or something like that haha.

Errm well hopefully. My prelim scores weren't too bad. I think it was the fact my conditional came through when I was sitting them and I just panicked a bit too much!

Oh cool you live in Balamory! :biggrin: 'Whats the story in... Nah I won't bother :tongue: Does that not get a bit boring though? Like where do you shop and how do you go to concerts? I'm lucky I live pretty close to Aberdeen so I can do quite alot of stuff. You'll enjoy Aberdeen, its a pretty ace city. The area around the university, Tillydrone can be a bit rough but overall the city is nice. Its not too big either so you'll get to grips with it quickly.

I have my philosophy exam tomorow argghhh!!! Hopefully I do better than I did at the prelim haha. Although I should be revising right now :colondollar:. Then I have Modern Studies on Friday so only two proper days to revise, gonna be a cram :frown:

Good luck for Wednesday, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

Aye, that definitely sounds like the more interesting aspect of Geography. I would actually quite like to write a novel, only more as a hobby/side project as opposed to doing it for a living. Similarly, I'd also enjoy freelance music journalism (something I intend to start as soon as exams are over!)

That's understandable, UCAS track can be a scary thing! Yes, Balamory can get a wee bit boring on occasion. For shopping, there's a town called Oban which is a 45min bus ride and then a 45min ferry ride away which has a limited selection of shops. For a proper shop I would need to travel to Glasgow, which is a further 3 hour train/bus ride away. Mind you, I'm not much of a shopper. But I have to travel to Glasgow for gigs which can get quite expensive so I don't get to many. Went to Frank Turner last November, Shinedown and Halestorm in Feb and Deaf Havana a few weeks ago and that's it for the last 6 months really. But I'm going to Download Festival this year which will give me near 40 gigs in one! :biggrin: so excited! And my 18th is on the Saturday of it as well! :smile:

Yeah, I've heard that Aberdeen is a really nice city. I've never been before but it sounds great. :smile: Haha I will avoid that area then if I am fortunate even to get into Aberdeen!

Good luck with your exam tomorrow! Just think, after those few hours, you will be half way to Aberdeen :biggrin:
Aye, that definitely sounds like the more interesting aspect of Geography. I would actually quite like to write a novel, only more as a hobby/side project as opposed to doing it for a living. Similarly, I'd also enjoy freelance music journalism (something I intend to start as soon as exams are over!)

That's understandable, UCAS track can be a scary thing! Yes, Balamory can get a wee bit boring on occasion. For shopping, there's a town called Oban which is a 45min bus ride and then a 45min ferry ride away which has a limited selection of shops. For a proper shop I would need to travel to Glasgow, which is a further 3 hour train/bus ride away. Mind you, I'm not much of a shopper. But I have to travel to Glasgow for gigs which can get quite expensive so I don't get to many. Went to Frank Turner last November, Shinedown and Halestorm in Feb and Deaf Havana a few weeks ago and that's it for the last 6 months really. But I'm going to Download Festival this year which will give me near 40 gigs in one! :biggrin: so excited! And my 18th is on the Saturday of it as well! :smile:

Yeah, I've heard that Aberdeen is a really nice city. I've never been before but it sounds great. :smile: Haha I will avoid that area then if I am fortunate even to get into Aberdeen!

Good luck with your exam tomorrow! Just think, after those few hours, you will be half way to Aberdeen :biggrin:

Oh cool, you've got to become a journalist for Kerrang! :biggrin: Thats what I always read haha. I'd have no patience to write a novel plus the fact I can hardly string a sentence together.

Oh your like and into their music then :biggrin:. Yeah I'm going to Leeds Festival again for the second time and Blink 182 in Glasgow too. Although download is a bit heavy for my liking haha :tongue:. Yeah I've seen Deaf Havana when they were supporting You Me At Six. Went to see Enter Shikari in Edinburgh in February for the 3rd time (hence my name on TSR) and We Are the In Crowd & The Summer Set in Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago. Another great thing about Aberdeen is there is a music shop in Belmont Street that does lots of signings. I've met Enter Shikari and You Me At Six there. Download is probably like 40 concerts. I'm staying at Leeds for like 3 days so I'll see about that many bands too.

Yeah I know plus its my hardest one too so fingers crossed I do allright. :smile:
Reply 73
1. Maths, English, Business, Physics and Computing
2. AABBB
3.AABCD

Dreadful at English so hoping to scrape a C and predicted a fail for computing as i stopped paying attention before the summer tbh.

Got ABCFF in the exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
What were you hoping to apply for? :smile:

Forensic and Analytical Chemistry :biggrin: Probably think doing a course in Biochemistry then a Postgraduate degree in Forensic Toxicology would be better though :smile:
Philosophy exam today. In panic mode already and it doesn't start until 1pm!! :tongue:

I didn't study Sunday because I was knackered from the night before - went clubbing for my friend's 20th. So I put in five hours yesterday and think I've just about got everything down... enough to get a minimum C pass, anyway. :P
Original post by UMARTIAN
I'm doing:
Maths, English, History, Art, Business.
Hoping for:
AAAAA/AAABB/AABB
B's will be in Art and English :frown:
Im revising for English and History the most, so much to learn and memorise.

Someone else doing art :eek: haha, what areas are you doing? :smile:
Reply 77
Good luck to everyone siting their Geography/Philosophy exam today :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by hollieeilloh
Someone else doing art :eek: haha, what areas are you doing? :smile:

For Critical? :smile:
Fantasy/IMagination = Francisco Goya and John Bellany
Graphic design = McKnight Kauffer and Jeffrey Fisher

The essays are so confusing. I understand the Fantasy/Imagination, but no idea for designers.

How about you?
Reply 79
Oh cool, you've got to become a journalist for Kerrang! :biggrin: Thats what I always read haha. I'd have no patience to write a novel plus the fact I can hardly string a sentence together.

Oh your like and into their music then :biggrin:. Yeah I'm going to Leeds Festival again for the second time and Blink 182 in Glasgow too. Although download is a bit heavy for my liking haha :tongue:. Yeah I've seen Deaf Havana when they were supporting You Me At Six. Went to see Enter Shikari in Edinburgh in February for the 3rd time (hence my name on TSR) and We Are the In Crowd & The Summer Set in Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago. Another great thing about Aberdeen is there is a music shop in Belmont Street that does lots of signings. I've met Enter Shikari and You Me At Six there. Download is probably like 40 concerts. I'm staying at Leeds for like 3 days so I'll see about that many bands too.

Yeah I know plus its my hardest one too so fingers crossed I do allright. :smile:

I read Kerrang too! Would love to be a journalist for them :biggrin: Oh cool, the Leeds Fest line-up is pretty good this year - not quite heavy enough for me though! :tongue: Aww man, I'm really jealous! I really want to see Enter Shikari live. I might hit up their Edinburgh date in August if funds allow! Nice, sounds like a shop I would be visiting often :smile: Download has a great mix of bands - it's not all heavy! The line-up this year is ridiculously amazing and has such a variety of bands :biggrin:

Hope your Philosophy exam went well today! :smile: Half way to Aberdeen :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending