The Student Room Group

Spanish or French easier to learn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scribbledoutname
Any particular reasons why? Thank you for commenting :smile: x

I guess it's easier to pronounce and the basic grammar is quite easy..I'm not sure about A level though, some say that the Grammar becomes harder because you have to use different moods more often.
But I think people sound cooler if they can speak Spanish really fast and fluently :cool:
Original post by LauraEmilyT
Aw cool, you'll have more of a chance than me at finding work lol, my dream would be to work for a company like mango, there HQ is in barcelona :smile: I'm from a place called Driffield in east yorks nr Hull :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Na, never know. But that is soooo cool! You must be a fashionable person. :smile:
Never heard of Driffiled :tongue:
Na, never know. But that is soooo cool! You must be a fashionable person. :smile:
Never heard of Driffiled :tongue:

Haha I don't think i'm fashionable, and no ones really said that as such to me before so thankyou! :biggrin: quite a boring place, only a little town nr the countryside. Do you have twitter?

I just listened to some Spanish radio and French radio. My head nearly exploded! They speak sooooo fast in Spanish. :eek:

Yeah! In fact, one of my lecturers this year is from a Spanish-speaking country, and none of us can even tell what he's saying when he's using English, he speaks that fast!

PS For French, try watching some of http://www.tf1.fr/ :smile:
Haha I don't think i'm fashionable, and no ones really said that as such to me before so thankyou! :biggrin: quite a boring place, only a little town nr the countryside. Do you have twitter?

I want to live somewhere like that. Hate city life... Yes I do, :biggrin: do you?
Well the subjunctive in spanish made more sense to me than french...
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Yeah! In fact, one of my lecturers this year is from a Spanish-speaking country, and none of us can even tell what he's saying when he's using English, he speaks that fast!

PS For French, try watching some of http://www.tf1.fr/ :smile:

LOL! Why is that? I don't understand... Do you think we sound fast to people who don't talk it? :tongue: thank you for the link
I want to live somewhere like that. Hate city life... Yes I do, :biggrin: do you?

Yes, I'll follow you, my thing is the same as this so. LauraEmilyT

Original post by duharvalgt
Well the subjunctive in spanish made more sense to me than french...

What is subjunctive? Sorry if I sound dumb...

Aw, I'd like to live in a city, London maybe tho thats with all the jubilee lol!

One time on a practise role play there was one about Portsmouth & spinnaker tower :L u might see it but depends what exam board yours is with 'cos mine is OCR

Reply 70
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I personally found Spanish easier to pick up but did better in French because I studied it for 9 years.

Yea I did both at GCSE.

And I found the Spanish accent, sentence structure and grammar easier?

Further on though Spanish can get harder since there are more tenses than in French but you will only work with a few simple tenses at GCSE and I can't remember if we ever went through any of the compound tenses.

^^^ Exactly this! I did both to GCSE and I do both at uni now, Spanish was definitely the easier GCSE but now I find French much easier (I've just finished my 2nd year at uni) However I think if I'd have kept Spanish up through A-Level too then there might not have been such a gap.
Aw, I'd like to live in a city, London maybe tho thats with all the jubilee lol!

One time on a practise role play there was one about Portsmouth & spinnaker tower :L u might see it but depends what exam board yours is with 'cos mine is OCR

Mine's nadiachowmein, LOL. I'm not chinese...

I think London is the only brilliant city cos it's so big and well everything happens there but I'd rather live in the countryside.

Omg really? Haha! I am laughing right now. Portsmouth does have a lot to do though! x
Yea but Spanish there's only 2 verbs for to be: ser or estar

As opposed to merely Être in French.
Mine's nadiachowmein, LOL. I'm not chinese...

I think London is the only brilliant city cos it's so big and well everything happens there but I'd rather live in the countryside.

Omg really? Haha! I am laughing right now. Portsmouth does have a lot to do though! x

:biggrin: i'm now following you!

Original post by WillowSummers
As opposed to merely Être in French.

Sorry I don't speak French so être means nothing to me haha

What is subjunctive? Sorry if I sound dumb...

It's annoying & hard, well I think hardest aspect of grammar, it's not a tense & we don't use it in English however it's used to express impersonal opinion, desire like I hope to... In situations like maybe, perhaps, even if.. + other situations but i've forgotten them :L maybe the other person will say something different

:biggrin: i'm now following you!

Ditto :biggrin:
Lol, both GCSEs? Would that not be a massive workload on top of four AS levels? :eek: :tongue:

Btw, does anyone else find the bilingual/trilingual/whateverlingual trait slightly attractive in a person -especially if it's not their mother tongue? :h:

Maybe, depending on how linguistically minded you are. But then, I learnt Latin whilst doing two other language Aas levels, so it's possible to do that.

Yes, I do find it attractive. Hence me dating a girl who speaks both Italian and German - we cover the major European languages between us.
Sorry I don't speak French so être means nothing to me haha

It's to be in French. It's the only word for it, thus being less confusing than ser and estar. At least to me.
we don't use it in English however it's used to express impersonal opinion, desire like I hope to

If I were given £1 for every time I heard that myth ... :biggrin:
Similar to the above, "The rules require that he pay £50 every week."
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending