The Student Room Group

Which A-level exam board do you hate and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
How bad really is AQA for English literature A level? I'm doing it next year :tongue: In GCSE, they messed with our whole year's marking and when most people asked for a remark, nearly everyone had a higher grade :frown:
Those who are doing edexcel A - level sciences. They will have to agree, that this board is unpredicatable.

Sometimes everyone finds the exam hard, and the grade boundaries are touching the sky.
Sometimes everyone finds the exam easy, the grade boundaries are low.

Its never going to be fair. [but very, very and very rarely it can]

Its just total unpredicable. To get a U is a very easy thing for edexcel to give, its just like handing out candies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
AQA because of English Literature. I don't care what they say, that prose extract was so limited in terms of analaysis.
Reply 83
At A level, i've only encountered Edexcel (Maths, Further Maths) and AQA(biology, chemistry, physics)

Edexcel for maths make their papers too easy so that getting an A* is more about not making mistakes rather than being a good mathematician.

AQA are VERY picky for sciences, key words are loved so even more memory is required to phrase answers in the right way
Reply 84
Original post by mintbear
How bad really is AQA for English literature A level? I'm doing it next year :tongue: In GCSE, they messed with our whole year's marking and when most people asked for a remark, nearly everyone had a higher grade :frown:

I would say that it's probably the hardest exam board to take for english literature. My sister took WJEC and with little revision got an A*, wheras I've struggled to get an A even with all the extra work i've done. It's hard because you're not just analysing litertaure, you have to know historical context also and thus it takes alot of time and effort. You can succeed at it though, it isn't impossible :smile:
For Chemistry and Biology AS, I did the AQA exam, but for Physics, our school for some reason chose OCR, and it was brutal. Their mark schemes expect you to come up with very general statements which have very little relevance to what the question is asking, and some definitions are just ridiculously specific and they don't credit you even if your definition is right, for example, for the question "define an emission line spectrum":

- "a series of coloured lines against a dark background" gains one mark;

- "a series of coloured lines corresponding to wavelengths emitted by excited atoms" apparently gains no marks.
Original post by Instincts_2012
OCR is a son of a bitch when it comes to Sciences.

The exam is meant to consist of 3 modules, as evenly as possible. No, 80% of the Biology exam focused on ****ing evolution. Suck my nuts OCR.

Don't complain about ALevel biology until you've tried AQA.

One word: Shrews
Original post by desijut
At A level, i've only encountered Edexcel (Maths, Further Maths) and AQA(biology, chemistry, physics)

Edexcel for maths make their papers too easy so that getting an A* is more about not making mistakes rather than being a good mathematician.

AQA are VERY picky for sciences, key words are loved so even more memory is required to phrase answers in the right way

totally agree with both points here!
OCR MEI for mathematics, its just plan cruel.
Why is CCEA not included here?

They are the scourge of the earth with their ridiculously hard exams, very few resources and exam timetables which clash horribly with English boards :fuhrer:
Reply 90
Original post by medbh4805
Why is CCEA not included here?

They are the scourge of the earth with their ridiculously hard exams, very few resources and exam timetables which clash horribly with English boards :fuhrer:

THIS. With all due respect (and with the benefit of having sat exams from other exam boards), I really do feel that CCEA is the hardest.
I hate AQA for the most ridiculous psychology exams, its ridiculous to ask people to remember 24, 5 page essays for just one exam. Because of this they lower the grade boundaries to 60% for an A. Why make it so hard and yet so easy to pass

Quick Reply

Latest