The Student Room Group

Why is Film Studies not respected?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My boyfriend did a degree in Film Studies, and I have to say I'm converted to believing it's quite a rigourous subject.

The themes he approached were often similar, if not the same, as the ones I approach in my Ancient History degree. Politics, economics, religion etc. He sent me an essay he did in his third year on the presentation of African American culture in film and I can honestly say it was far more complex than I had ever initially thought.

I think the problem is that it's so new. Classics (though most don't know what that is/don't see it as important), Medicine, Law and such are all very old subject, therefore attributed more prestige. We have thousands of years of written word literature to analyse and there is much more of a respected literary canon to follow. You have classic books, books that people put on '100 books to read before you die' lists and such. There is far less of a culture in this.

Plus certainly in modern history film is useful. Certainly, no-one can deny the importance and need to analyse the footage of the Nuremberg Rallies?
Original post by fudgesundae
It was more of an observation rather an opinion. I didn't pass comment on the actual subject and the content taught. I also didn't say it was a subject for less intelligent people. I simply said that the people who I know who took Film Studies were not overly intelligent and if I'm perfectly honest, took it because they saw it as a 'doss' subject.

Ok, I apologise for over reacting, I see your opinion now.
I will hopefully be doing English with Film studies at KCL next year.

The reason why I decided to take the minor in film was because I love the endless interpretations that one can find through watching one film, and how each time you watch the same film you notice new and different things.

I studied Media studies as well as Lit/Lang, and I can honestly say some aspects of the subject have been as challenging for me as English. When interpreting a visual text, you have to be really on the ball in terms of noticing camera angles, use of lighting, the way characters are positioned. I personally found it at times harder than interpreting a written text, especially because it will be gone in a instant.

A lot of people will say that film is not important in society, but when you see Chinese directors risking their lives to portray their art despite the political turmoil in their country, and the risk it imposed on themselves, you can't say for sure that film has no place in helping society develop. I believe some of the bravest people in the world are those who dare to write books that go against the politics in their country or make films.

Sure, it might not save lives in the sense medical advancement does, but their is the opportunity to reach people and give them different opinions and ideas that would have been unavailable to them otherwise.
Original post by AngryCheeseCake
I will hopefully be doing English with Film studies at KCL next year.

The reason why I decided to take the minor in film was because I love the endless interpretations that one can find through watching one film, and how each time you watch the same film you notice new and different things.

I studied Media studies as well as Lit/Lang, and I can honestly say some aspects of the subject have been as challenging for me as English. When interpreting a visual text, you have to be really on the ball in terms of noticing camera angles, use of lighting, the way characters are positioned. I personally found it at times harder than interpreting a written text, especially because it will be gone in a instant.

A lot of people will say that film is not important in society, but when you see Chinese directors risking their lives to portray their art despite the political turmoil in their country, and the risk it imposed on themselves, you can't say for sure that film has no place in helping society develop. I believe some of the bravest people in the world are those who dare to write books that go against the politics in their country or make films.

Sure, it might not save lives in the sense medical advancement does, but their is the opportunity to reach people and give them different opinions and ideas that would have been unavailable to them otherwise.

I agree with your comments (:
(edited 11 years ago)
Are you thinking about studying at university by any chance?
Are you thinking about studying at university by any chance?

I am yes, I was going to do Criminology and Film Studies then realised that I needed to be realistic so I am hoping to do Social Work next year.
I am yes, I was going to do Criminology and Film Studies then realised that I needed to be realistic so I am hoping to do Social Work next year.

It's always good to do something helpful, but also something you love.
It's always good to do something helpful, but also something you love.

I would have loved to do Film Studies at university, but unfortunately it can't be done with Social Work which is a real shame. Although I have a passion for Film Studies I don't think it would serve me well in later life, in my opinion. I think I would like to keep it as a hobby, it has taught me a lot of valuable skills. Social Work is going to get me where I would like to be, Film Studies isn't unfortunately Social work would help me and more importantly others. If I could do Social Work and Film Studies simultaneously then I would! (:
There's people out there who don't do the subject, as they assume they already know everything about it and as a film student at university, that really ****** me off! :angry: I'm sure people who do subjects such as Sports studies or Art feel the exact same way. Basically in short people who moan about it are uninformed, undereducated, ignorant, disrespectful, obnoxious ... the list goes on. If you want a career as a dentist because you enjoy it, that's fine, but don't belittle anybody's career choice as they are different to yours which you know absolutely NOTHING about.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest

*RANT OVER*
There's people out there who don't do the subject, as they assume they already know everything about it and as a film student at university, that really ****** me off! I'm sure people who do subjects such as Sports studies or Art feel the exact same way. Basically in short people who moan about it are uninformed, undereducated, ignorant, disrespectful, obnoxious ... the list goes on. If you want a career as a dentist because you enjoy it, that's fine, but don't belittle anybody's career choice as they are different to yours which you know absolutely NOTHING about.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest

*RANT OVER*

It's unfortunate that the people who insult my subject are the ones who know the least about it.

I think some of those people think I just fart and watch the Simpsons :rolleyes:

Ahh if only!
Reply 50
It annoys me when people ask 'What course are you taking?' (At university) and as soon as I say 'Film' they do that look.

It's the look that decreases your IQ by about 50 points. They suddenly assume I'm stupid and not very academic. Which is untrue, I always did well at school, and I was above average at most subjects especially Maths (which was up until about year 11 was what I intended to take at university).

Film Studies is analytical and very much like English Literature. Yeah, you watch films, but you also tend to watch 'artsy' films over and over and over to the point that you hate them so much! I loved learning the business and the industry behind films too, past, present and the outlook for the future. Technology was one of my favourite topics. Most people think a film consists of a story and a few cameramen. There is so much more to it and it's a pity people regard film as useless.
Original post by sophieleannexo
Vocational subjects are easier,

That's a massive generalisation. Medicine and law could be considered vocational. My course could be considered vocational. It doesn't make them easy
Original post by de_monies
That's a massive generalisation. Medicine and law could be considered vocational. My course could be considered vocational. It doesn't make them easy

I apologise, I will rephrase that - vocational subjects at A-Level are easier.
Original post by fudgesundae
Honestly, I think it's the people who take Film Studies that give it its bad rep. Thinking back to the people I knew who took Film Studies, they weren't the brightest.

I agree, i'm doing Film Studies now and although some of us work hard at it, including me, so many people slack off and you can tell they're just there to watch films- which we actually rarely do. They hardly ever show up, don't do the homework or further research.
Original post by EmmyLauren
I agree, i'm doing Film Studies now and although some of us work hard at it, including me, so many people slack off and you can tell they're just there to watch films- which we actually rarely do. They hardly ever show up, don't do the homework or further research.

I agree in some respects. There were 3 people in my Film Studies class including me & not to sound big headed but I was the only one who did the work and did extra research, most times I was the only one in the class because the other two were 'fed up of not watching films' or 'couldn't be bothered to do the work'. In my opinion the minority of people that do take Film Studies because they enjoy it do actually put in the work. The majority take it expecting to watch films constantly. I think it should be a little more respected, regardless of the content of the subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by DannyBoy123
I suppose the main difference between English Literature and Film Studies is that, generally speaking, (there are of course exceptions), literature is able to explore more concepts in more depth than film is able to and therefore requires a deeper level of critical analysis to reach an understanding. In reality (and particularly at A-level) there probably isn't an awful lot of difference in the level of difficulty, but that's just how people seem to view it unfortunately.

You probably don't watch many films right?
Original post by Fynch101
You probably don't watch many films right?

Answer: Probably not!
Original post by sophieleannexo
I agree in some respects. There were 3 people in my Film Studies class including me & not to sound big headed but I was the only one who did the work and did extra research, most times I was the only one in the class because the other two were 'fed up of not watching films' or 'couldn't be bothered to do the work'. In my opinion the minority of people that do take Film Studies because they enjoy it do actually put in the work. The majority take it expecting to watch films constantly. I think it should be a little more respected, regardless of the content of the subject.

Totally agree with you. I've overheard people in my lesson say before "ugh tell me when we're watching a film beforehand and then i'll come in, if not i won't bother" and then they wonder why they did "crap" on the exam. Hm...
Reply 58
In Scotland if you do Intermediate, Higher or Advanced Higher English then you can actually do "Media and Film" as part of the course. I done an essay on Psycho for my Int 2 exam last year :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EmmyLauren
Totally agree with you. I've overheard people in my lesson say before "ugh tell me when we're watching a film beforehand and then i'll come in, if not i won't bother" and then they wonder why they did "crap" on the exam. Hm...

That always happened to me, I mean sure I'm not the brightest but I was always relied on for the answers. I think that although there is a minority of people that do actually put the work in and the fact that it is a mix of vocation and academia, it should at least be a little more respected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending