The Student Room Group

Theres a lump in my earlobe! Should I worry?

I've had my ears (lobes) pierced fairly recently, about 2 months ago but in one of my earlobes there is a big lump/area of swelling just around the hole, it can only really be noticed from the back. It hurts if I press it and its is quite hot. It has been quite pus-y at times, not quite as much now but I'm worried that I shouldn't be waiting to see if this gets better by itself and should go to the doctor/nurse or am I being a hypochondriac (as I usually am) and its should sort itself out. Has anyone experienced the same kind of thing? If so, what happened?

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
i'd recommend cleaning it with a bit of cottom wool soaked in salt water once or twice a day (diluted to about a teaspoon in a small glass of water) and see if it clears up.
Or just leave it alone with an earing in that you know isn't going to cause any reaction. The ones you had it pierced with should be ok. COuld well clear up on it's own. Bad idea to leave it with no earing in.
mine's done it before, i usually attempt the salt water soaking, then get fed up and leave it to clear itself up

Probably not worth going to the doctors about unless it gets worse so dont worry too much :smile:
Reply 2
It happens a lot, nothing to worry about- should go down by itself in a few days, though good idea to make sure it's clean, & put a cleaned earring in to keep the hole open.
Reply 3
Thanks guys!
I had one....years after my piercing...nothing to do with the piercing, just a small cyst the doctor said...it went after 4 months
Reply 5
from what it sounds like its a bit infected, you can go to g.mantella and they sell little bottles of disinfecting stuff for about a pound, you put a couple of drops in front and behind the earing then twist it every day to keep it clean. it may sting a bit at first if there is an open wound bit but it will stop. you could try going back to where you got them pierced and see what they say.
well I've never heard of ear cancer.....
Reply 7
It's not serious so don't worry about it. I had my ears pierced about 5 years ago and I still get bumpy bits on my lobes. If you keep the area disinfected then they'll soon go.
Reply 8
I've had a lumpy lobe for years, it hurts if you squeeze it, like more then it would if you did it to the other lobe apart from that it's given me no problems. :smile:
Reply 9
it's quite a common thing. usually just fatty deposits in the ear or something, nothing to worry about. goes away after a while.
it's an infection. Clean it with the antibacterial spray they would have given u when you got it pierced
nothing to worry about...chill! Have one once and went away in 2 weeks or so
I've had my ears pierced three times in each ear plus a cartilige piercing in my right ear... my top two holes have actually closed up, with a lump on the left ear, and my middle holes haven't closed up but both have quite a large lump behind them. My cartilige also has closed up and has a lump behind... because I got pierced with a gun! :eek: Don't get your ears pierced high up with a gun unless you want lumpy ears. I've had these lumps for nearly a year now and they haven't got smaller, but eventually they should... fingers crossed!
You should use ice to cool it down and then get cleaning solution of something close to that and get a cotton pad (cotton balls will hurt it more) and rub it gently with the cleaning solution on the pad.
hi
I use salt water to
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pgipson9006
hi
I use salt water to

This thread is 15 years old. Please check the date on the original posts of threads so you don't bump very old ones!

Latest

Trending

Trending