The Student Room Group

The University of Aberdeen MB ChB Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43860366"]Does anyone know if Aberdeen takes grades put up by top-up? In my prelims I got AAAAC (First) and AAA(2nd prelims) but my exams were AABBC and the school won't let me appeal one of the B's because "I was TOO close to an A" in the final exam to qualify for an appeal as someone who failed has priority over me. I intended on applying with the AAAA stated in entry requirements but the max I can get I'd AAAB (as I was allowed to appeal physics- a B) so would I be able to use top-up?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE

whaaat?! i didn't know that was how appeals worked...surely because you were close to an A you'd stand a better chance of an appeal i would have thought since you almost achieved it but fell short?

regarding your question i'm not sure entirely what you mean, but you'll probably have to meet the entry requirements to apply, unless you have extenuating circumstances etc sorry

edit; "Candidates who do not meet the H requirements in S5 may be considered* but must offer an appropriate programme of study in S6 and advice should be sought."
dunno, might be worth emailing them if you reckon you'll get all your appeals but still be a grade off
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by noregrets
Thanks very much, you've been a great help! Well done on finishing your first year! Might review some old bio things like u said. I remember higher chem being a total drag, so i'll only review that if I have to haha!

no problem, and thanks!
the first month or so is pretty science based, but it doesn't go into all that much detail so it might also be worth having a quick look over chemistry too if you're worried about having forgotten a lot...probably not what you wanted to hear sorry! :redface: saying that though, it covers things like logs of pH's, but you dont need to actually do the calculations; just sort of understand the concepts - so you'd really only have to look over your chemistry briefly, not in too much depth
Original post by atomos
no problem, and thanks!
the first month or so is pretty science based, but it doesn't go into all that much detail so it might also be worth having a quick look over chemistry too if you're worried about having forgotten a lot...probably not what you wanted to hear sorry! :redface: saying that though, it covers things like logs of pH's, but you dont need to actually do the calculations; just sort of understand the concepts - so you'd really only have to look over your chemistry briefly, not in too much depth

Haha oh god, you've got me panicking now! If i'm honest, I struggled with higher chem, and it was a miracle that I managed to achieve a B! I regretfully didn't pay much attention when we did the practical experiments either...im a completely different person now, and i work much harder than i used to, and don't stop looking at something, unless I understand it. Standard grade chem was very easy.

Any chance you, or anyone else could tell me some areas that I should be concentrating on? I hear it is about more conceptual parts of chemistry, rather than in depth knowledge? I'm just really scared that i'm gona fail the first semester miserably. I'm also not amazing at maths either...so yeah, if you could let me know some more conceptual Parts to look at, i'd be very grateful!

Thanks!
Original post by atomos
whaaat?! i didn't know that was how appeals worked...surely because you were close to an A you'd stand a better chance of an appeal i would have thought since you almost achieved it but fell short?

regarding your question i'm not sure entirely what you mean, but you'll probably have to meet the entry requirements to apply, unless you have extenuating circumstances etc sorry

edit; "Candidates who do not meet the H requirements in S5 may be considered* but must offer an appropriate programme of study in S6 and advice should be sought."
dunno, might be worth emailing them if you reckon you'll get all your appeals but still be a grade off

Exactly what I thought too, I was told that "if you got a band 4 B then you could have got an appeal, but not with a band 3 B because 'there needs to be more than one band between your prelim and exam to appeal' and you were too close to an A in your exam to qualify for an appeal"
I have emailed them quite a bit over the past few months, if I can get my appeal for physics I can offer them two AHs at minimum of B and a H at grade A as stated in the entry requirements :smile:
How did your exams go?

[SIZE="1"]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by noregrets
Haha oh god, you've got me panicking now! If i'm honest, I struggled with higher chem, and it was a miracle that I managed to achieve a B! I regretfully didn't pay much attention when we did the practical experiments either...im a completely different person now, and i work much harder than i used to, and don't stop looking at something, unless I understand it. Standard grade chem was very easy.

Any chance you, or anyone else could tell me some areas that I should be concentrating on? I hear it is about more conceptual parts of chemistry, rather than in depth knowledge? I'm just really scared that i'm gona fail the first semester miserably. I'm also not amazing at maths either...so yeah, if you could let me know some more conceptual Parts to look at, i'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

No honestly don't panic! Its all doable, really. Like what you get taught in the lectures is the sufficient amount of information, just if you've been out of science for a while you miiiight have to do a little extra reading, I sort of struggled a little but it worked out in the end (chemistry has never been my strong point either). But as far as the experiments go its pretty irrelevant, I'm trying to recall a time where knowledge of them was relevant and can't think of anything. Honestly though, don't worry about it now, you'll be fine. Plus the lecturer who does all the really sciency stuff is really nice and would help you out if needed. But really, its only for the first month or so- after that it (in my opinion) gets significantly easier as the 'hardcore' (its not hardcore, i just cant think of a better word) science stuff is over and you move on to actual medicine things.

I've forgotten actually now what it was I struggled with (I didn't put in any extra work, thus struggled more than i should have at the beginning, but that sort of made me realise I needed to start actually putting work in, unlike at school where I coasted through a lot of the time); but I will have a look at the learning guide when I find mine and get back to you.
But yeah, I'm rubbish at maths as well, and I mean reaaally rubbish - but there isn't really any maths at all. Like I said in a previous post, they do show some equations, but they are more to sort of explain WHY something works in the end, you don't actually need to do the calculations really.

edit; actually I just remembered what was the bane of my life, carbohydrates.
Like, the krebs cycle and glycolysis stuff - what different equations and reactions happen at different parts and things, I just couldn't get my head round
(edited 10 years ago)
[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43871436"]Exactly what I thought too, I was told that "if you got a band 4 B then you could have got an appeal, but not with a band 3 B because 'there needs to be more than one band between your prelim and exam to appeal' and you were too close to an A in your exam to qualify for an appeal"
I have emailed them quite a bit over the past few months, if I can get my appeal for physics I can offer them two AHs at minimum of B and a H at grade A as stated in the entry requirements :smile:
How did your exams go?

Hmm, that's weird. Sure you 100% can't still try? :/
But I suppose it's not the end of the world.

Haha, I didn't have any sqa exams, I'm already at Aberdeen :smile:
Original post by atomos
Hmm, that's weird. Sure you 100% can't still try? :/
But I suppose it's not the end of the world.

Haha, I didn't have any sqa exams, I'm already at Aberdeen :smile:

I'm gonna go talk to my teacher and ask about it when I go back.
Oh you're so lucky! When do you graduate? What's it like there?

[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43877448"]I'm gonna go talk to my teacher and ask about it when I go back.
Oh you're so lucky! When do you graduate? What's it like there?

Haha, not til 2017 so a wee while to go :tongue:
But yeah its really good, both course-wise and uni-wise.
Original post by atomos
Haha, not til 2017 so a wee while to go :tongue:
But yeah its really good, both course-wise and uni-wise.

Only 4 more years until you can officially be a doctor. Did you get into medicine straight from school, yeah? I could imagine!

[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43877668"]Only 4 more years until you can officially be a doctor. Did you get into medicine straight from school, yeah? I could imagine!

nah I didn't, I had to take a gap year first and reapply
Original post by atomos
nah I didn't, I had to take a gap year first and reapply

Did you take work experience or anything during the gap year?

[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43877977"]Did you take work experience or anything during the gap year?

yeah, i did more work experience plus some voluntary work abroad, then worked full time the rest of the year when i came back (not in a medical setting though)
Original post by Markmcculloch
XXXX

I've just quoted you in another thread, but I read over what you wrote initially, you are aware the normal entry requirements to Aberdeen are AAAAB, not AAAA?
Original post by atomos
I've just quoted you in another thread, but I read over what you wrote initially, you are aware the normal entry requirements to Aberdeen are AAAAB, not AAAA?

Due to school policy I was only able to do 4 highers, even though I was academically fit to take 5. It states on the entry requirements if this is the case then you're normally required to get AAAA if you get a teacher to contact the university:smile:
E.g My school makes everyone sit English in S5 even if they want to do something else. I got a 2 in English but got made to sit intermediate 2, even though I wanted to do modern studies. I was dictated to doing English and I emailed Aberdeen about this and they said that I may be considered if I can prove that it's school policy to sit English in S5:smile: I would add the picture of the email but I'm new to this and don't quite grasp how to.

(edited 10 years ago)
[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43879137"]Due to school policy I was only able to do 4 highers, even though I was academically fit to take 5. It states on the entry requirements if this is the case then you're normally required to get AAAA if you get a teacher to contact the university:smile:

Ah okay, I thought I had read you had 5 Highers.
But yeah, if that's your school policy then thats fine!
Original post by atomos
Ah okay, I thought I had read you had 5 Highers.
But yeah, if that's your school policy then thats fine!

I was editing what I wrote when you wrote a reply, you may want to go read what I added :smile:

[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43879137"]Due to school policy I was only able to do 4 highers, even though I was academically fit to take 5. It states on the entry requirements if this is the case then you're normally required to get AAAA if you get a teacher to contact the university:smile:
E.g My school makes everyone sit English in S5 even if they want to do something else. I got a 2 in English but got made to sit intermediate 2, even though I wanted to do modern studies. I was dictated to doing English and I emailed Aberdeen about this and they said that I may be considered if I can prove that it's school policy to sit English in S5:smile: I would add the picture of the email but I'm new to this and don't quite grasp how to.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost now haha!
So did you sit 4 highers then int 2 english?

Either way though, if that's your school policy then it should be fine if you get your appeals, ie you shouldn't be at a disadvantage if you get the grades but only for 4 highers.
It was my school's policy to make taking English compulsory too, as is the case for most other schools in my area, so this shouldn't put you at any sort of disadvantage?

(edit; I would also like to say that should you not get your appeals then it's not the end of the world and there are other ways of getting into medicine!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by atomos
Sorry, I'm a bit lost now haha!
So did you sit 4 highers then int 2 english?

Either way though, if that's your school policy then it should be fine if you get your appeals, ie you shouldn't be at a disadvantage if you get the grades but only for 4 highers.
It was my school's policy to make taking English compulsory too, as is the case for most other schools in my area, so this shouldn't put you at any sort of disadvantage?

(edit; I would also like to say that should you not get your appeals then it's not the end of the world and there are other ways of getting into medicine!)

Yeah, I did 4 highers then got a C in int2 English (I'm not an idiot, my teacher was retarded) hahaha. Well here's hoping for the appeals! Here's also hoping for winning the fight for another appeal!
What school did you go to?

[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43879610"]Yeah, I did 4 highers then got a C in int2 English (I'm not an idiot, my teacher was retarded) hahaha. Well here's hoping for the appeals! Here's also hoping for winning the fight for another appeal!
What school did you go to?

Ahh okay, I'd just initially read your results as being highers which was where I got confused!
Don't want to specify, but it was just a state school - nothing special :tongue:
Original post by atomos
Ahh okay, I'd just initially read your results as being highers which was where I got confused!
Don't want to specify, but it was just a state school - nothing special :tongue:

Oh ok man :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending