The Student Room Group

I hate the birthday present my boyfriend bought me... Help!

For my 20th birthday I mentioned to my boyfriend that I wanted a OnePiece onesie jump in for uni next year. Im not usually fussy with presents and things, I'm usually quite easy going but I really HATE with a passion all other onesies.

So I opened my present from my boyfriend this morning (he's away at the moment so wasn't with me) and lo and behold I received a onesie. However, this wasn't just a normal onesie, this was a huge onsie with different patterns on including strawberries, zebra stripes, army camo, and it had bear ears, a bum flap so you didn't have to take it off to use the toilet....

Basically, it was a monstrosity. Completely not me at all. At first, I thought it must have been a joke. But he'd personalised it with his name and also the receipt came in the package with it and it had cost him £120.

So I feel horrible and guilty and completely ungrateful. He rang me to ask if I liked it and I couldn't lie about something that cost so much. I explained that it was nice to wear in my room but I couldn't wear it anywhere else. He hung up on me. Ive sent him some texts to say that I love him so much and appreciate the thought but it's not me at all and I would rather someone told me if I had bought the wrong thing.

He's not really replying. Thoughts?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Ungrateful.
Reply 2
Normally I don't advocate lying but in this circumstance I probably would have said something like "Thank you for my gift that was very thoughtful of you".
However, you didn't. You told him the truth - he obviously cares about you very much to go to so much trouble to get you such an expensive personalised gift.
I think you owe him an apology for your bluntness but for the time being I would leave him for a bit - you have obviously hurt him.
There's a saying called "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". My brother bought me a fake Vivienne Westwood bag which I thought was real - only when I got it home I realised inconsistencies in the design. I was very upset but at the end of the day if people go to so much trouble to get you something you should at least be grateful.
Reply 3
be grateful!!!!!
Reply 4
This is hilarious
Get over it, it cost him a lot of money and he obviously thought you'd like it, I hope someone never does that back to you.
Reply 6
we need a picture....
£120... for a onesie...

If nothing else, your boyfriend needs to learn that money doesn't buy you everything...

Original post by BO'H
we need a picture....

Also yes.
Reply 8
In this situation it would have been better to lie - since he's had it personalised, surely you have to keep it anyway? (Is he at the same uni as you? Because if not then surely he wouldn't have even known if you didn't wear it.. :rolleyes:)
Maybe it would have been best to sound excited and say that you loved it, picked out something specific to mention - "the ______ is so cute!" and said thankyou to him. I think it's understandable that he's a bit hurt, since it cost a lot of money and he clearly put a lot of thought into it...

Let him cool off a bit, then apologise and try to convince him that you do like the gift. In some scenarios a white lie is better than the truth - this is one of them! Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
**** me, first world problems, what next, your mum shrinking your Jack Wills trackies?
Let's also be honest here, onesies look pretty silly anyway, are you worried about looking really silly or something?
Original post by Arielle
a bum flap so you didn't have to take it off to use the toilet....

It's quite practical too, enjoy it.
Reply 12
WTF people? I would really rather know the truth if I'd spent that much on something that I hate. I think you've done the right thing. You told the truth as politely as possible, it wasn't like you were a bitch. It's nice that he put so much thought into it, and it is a lot of money, but if he's in a strop because you answered truthfully when he asked you a question then he's pretty pathetic IMO. I would be grateful that he'd tried to put the thought into it but disliking something that you can't help disliking is not ungrateful at all (and personally it sounds pretty damn hideous! hah!)
Before we start, what the hell is a 'onesie' :confused:
Original post by Arielle
For my 20th birthday I mentioned to my boyfriend that I wanted a OnePiece onesie jump in for uni next year. Im not usually fussy with presents and things, I'm usually quite easy going but I really HATE with a passion all other onesies.

I did not know what OnePiece was so I took a look at their site

Some of those patterns are very strong (I would say some are horrible) and there is a lot of variety in the styles

So I am unsure how he was supposed to know they those patterns were ok but the one he chose wash't

Also ... the prices of that company beggar belief
Original post by Ice Constricter
Before we start, what the hell is a 'onesie' :confused:

Those one piece pyjama things that babies wear.

TBH, you did just ask for a onesie and he got you one. I think you did really need to be more specific.
Why would you ever wear a onesie in public anyway? Have some personal standards.
Reply 17
Okay, to be perfectly honest, your onesie does sound absolutely ridiculous.

My dad occasionally presents me with gifts (bits and pieces that that I must admit I wouldn't ever buy myself), his latest offering being an all-singing all-dancing knock-off pair of 'Crocs' that are snot green and glittery... Yep. Just when you thought 'Crocs' couldn't get more unfashionable, right? Well, I wear them with pride simply because they are THAT ridiculous!

I would take that route if I were you. I mean, he's paid for it and it has arrived in all its glory, so why not have a bit of fun with it? I doubt anyone would think that you're taking yourself seriously in it, for a start, and maybe your boyfriend might feel like less of an idiot for putting thought into a present that you "hate". Just sounds like he has a sense of humour and didn't realise you would take it as you did (he more or less fulfilled the brief, to be fair). I don’t think you're being ungrateful, by the way, and as another poster stated, you definitely haven't been a bitch about it - honesty is all it's been. You clearly care about your boyfriend's feelings, etc. and it's okay to feel disappointed... But I have to ask: seeing as you feel guilty, would him returning the onesie and using the £120 for one you initially wanted make you happy? If so, that's fair enough. In case it wasn't clear enough, sticking with it is just what I would do in the situation for, ultimately, it's up to you.

P.S. Happy birthday!
Reply 18
Original post by TenOfThem
I did not know what OnePiece was so I took a look at their site

I originally thought she was talking about the anima/manga :rofl:
Who the hell wears a onesie outside of the house? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending