The Student Room Group

Intermittent Fasting...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Suetonius
I've been inadvertently doing this all summer. I don't rise until the afternoon, and rarely eat after 7pm. It's had an effect, I suppose, but it's been accompanied by significant muscle atrophy (particularly in my legs).

Which you don't think is related to your lack of activity? When has diet alone given someone muscles??
Reply 21
Does this work based on basically you stop eating at 7pm which means when you sleep there will be hardly any food left in your stomach to digest?

Not pointing out any flaws or saying it doesn't work! I'm just intrigued as it's the first I've heard of this!

^.^
Reply 22
Original post by silent ninja
Which you don't think is related to your lack of activity? When has diet alone given someone muscles??

Good point actually. I've been recovering from a knee injury for 12 weeks, so haven't been using the old legs too much.
of course it works if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

as does eating 15 meals a day if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

as does eating 6 meals a day if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

as does eating one massive meal a day if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

I can go on.
Any evidence?
Original post by BaldFadedBrother
Firstly, be easy, and don't talk to me with that wannabe condescending attitude, you're making a fool of yourself to be honest.

Intermittent fasting works. Fact.
Prove it with some journal articles please. Just because it worked/works for you, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. This is a fundamentally flawed understanding of empirical science.

Oh and also 99% of people DON'T consider sleeping as fasting, why? because we have to sleep you pleb. Ask anyone what they think of when you say fast/fasting, non-one will say sleep. YES it is technically fasting, but we HAVE to do it, so were conditioned you fool... this post is ridiculous.

Just because we're sleeping means it doesn't count as fasting? You're a ****ing idiot, plenty of people who do intermittent fasting time it so that half their fast is sleeping.

I'm not saying intermittent fasting doesn't work or isn't fantastic, I'm saying that the fact it worked for you doesn't prove anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by commandant
of course it works if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

as does eating 15 meals a day if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

as does eating 6 meals a day if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

as does eating one massive meal a day if you're eating under your maintenance and training/exercising hard

I can go on.

It appears I am out of rep! Will rep you when I can :tongue:

Couldn't agree more though - IF may well work, but the evidence is still evolving, but before there's sufficient evidence, people think it's the next big magical pill that will unlock secret lean gains mode, or will make them super sick shredded... maybe it does, but the jury's still out, and I don't accept anecdotal evidence.

If people want to fast, enjoy it and it doesn't harm them, why not? "Primum non nocere" - first do no harm.

I can go on.

So why is it that many people have plateaued when eating six small meals, and when they went on IF they broke through and reduced BF%??

This is about the effects of IF, not whether it helps aid weight or fat loss. We ALL know that a calorie deficit will work regardless of method, but there's something about IF which increases fat loss. You can do your own research buddy, go on forums, look at reviews on IF, look at some REAL science, and SOME bro science...

But until then stop commenting about calorie deficit, we know that.
I'm not dissing IF.

I;m saying any method will work provided the diet and training is right

if they have plateaued on '6 meals', further decrease calories or up the cardio / training intensity.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not dissing IF.

I;m saying any method will work provided the diet and training is right

if they have plateaued on '6 meals', further decrease calories or up the cardio / training intensity.

You really don't listen do you, it's nothing to do with increasing cardio/reducing calories if you plateau.

Please do some research on IF...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by BaldFadedBrother
You really don't listen do you, it's nothing to do with increasing cardio/reducing calories if you plateau.

Please do some research on IF...

I'm pretty sure increasing cardio would help someone who has plateaued.
I'm guessing this thread has been inspired by Horizon? There was an episode about IF on this week...available on iPlayer for those interested.
Original post by Bubblyminty
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to build muscle- female here. I have been working out and want to look extra toned when I return to school in two weeks.

To be "toned" you have to build muscle. That's what gives a "toned" appearance. Obviously you don't want to build huge muscles, but you're probably underestimating the amount of work it takes to do that. You'd have to lift heavy weights regularly and be really dedicated to change your body to that extent. Building some muscle is beneficial to your fitness, you don't want to be pure fat do you?

Quick Reply

Latest