The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkAndTwisty
What about 7A*s an A and a B? I only did nine GCSEs!

You would score 24 out of 27 in your GCSE's which is good. (that was the cut -off last year, I think). I think you'll be ok.
Reply 21
Original post by Bord3r
About time there was an applicant thread for Cardiff.

Admissions Information

The application process

2012 Applicant thread

From what I can gather they score your best 9 GCSEs (no short courses) using the following;
A* = 3, A = 2, B = 1
Not sure about last year's cut off but it is usually mid to low twenties (I think, have to clarify that).

2011 had 3200 applicants for 250 places.

And so the process begins...

Well done on considering Cardiff, it is the best place after all :tongue:

A little extra info you may want to consider adding to your first post:
The 9 GCSEs must include english language, maths and the sciences.
GCSEs form the only academic selection criteria. They don't use AS results or A2 predictions.
There are slightly more places on the course. There were a tad under 300 on the course at the beginning (2011 entry) with 283 remaining at the end of the year before exams.
Anyone thinking of applying for 2013 entry must be aware of the C21 project. It involves huge changes to the course and effects everyone from 2013, I should imagine this will be a big talking point for interviews. Here is a link to more info: http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/c21/

Good luck everyone!
My GCSE score point comes to 22 ;/
I have my achieved A-level grades but after looking at the cardiff 2012 medicine thread, I'm not sure if I should apply or not.
There was rumours that achieved GCE grades gave you extra points...I phoned them up...no answer...besdies they charged me 91pence :grumble:
I emailed them like a week ago, no reply :hmpf:

Anyone shed some light? :innocent:
Reply 23
Original post by This Honest
My GCSE score point comes to 22 ;/
I have my achieved A-level grades but after looking at the cardiff 2012 medicine thread, I'm not sure if I should apply or not.
There was rumours that achieved GCE grades gave you extra points...I phoned them up...no answer...besdies they charged me 91pence :grumble:
I emailed them like a week ago, no reply :hmpf:

Anyone shed some light? :innocent:

When I applied a couple years ago they added 4 points to your academic score if you had AAA or better at A Level.
Original post by ScrubZ
When I applied a couple years ago they added 4 points to your academic score if you had AAA or better at A Level.

Thanks, not sure if it's the same for 2013, I'll just wait for the email :smile:
Reply 25
I went to the open day and they said they add 3 or 4 to your score if you have achived a level grades, the exsample he used was if you had 21 at gcse and 3 As at a level they would give you a score of 25 :smile:
Original post by me94
I went to the open day and they said they add 3 or 4 to your score if you have achived a level grades, the exsample he used was if you had 21 at gcse and 3 As at a level they would give you a score of 25 :smile:

Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
As part of their non-academic req. they want to see "study skills" demonstrated in your PS.

Anyone know one way of demonstrating study skills? :nodots:
Reply 28
would i be ok with 7A*, 2As, 1B but then AABC at AS level? :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by felicity95
would i be ok with 7A*, 2As, 1B but then AABC at AS level? :smile:

Well if your B isn't in Maths, English or Science and you haven't done any short courses then you'll score 25/27, which is a competitive academic score. With a decent PS along side that you'll have a good chance of getting an interview.
As part of their non-academic req. they want to see "study skills" demonstrated in your PS.

Anyone know one way of demonstrating study skills? :nodots:

Study skills: Independance and time-mandagement during an extended project qualification maybe?
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Study skills: Independance and time-mandagement during an extended project qualification maybe?

Didn't do the EPQ but thanks anyways. I briefly mentioned independence :yep:
if you have a single A2 'A' grade already, (and taking three A2 in year 13), do you get an additional point added to the gcse score perhaps??
Reply 33
I was thinking of applying to Cardiff but I didn't realise they had such a strong preference for GCSE grades.

I have 4A*s and 5As, and ABBB at AS, does that equate to little chance of making the cut off?

Also, does anyone know how BTEC's (at GCSE) score? I did a Music BTEC and got a Distinction* and was told that it equates to two A*s, which would make my total 6A*s and 3As? But I'm not sure if the BTEC counts...
Original post by marzzbarr
I was thinking of applying to Cardiff but I didn't realise they had such a strong preference for GCSE grades.

I have 4A*s and 5As, and ABBB at AS, does that equate to little chance of making the cut off?

Also, does anyone know how BTEC's (at GCSE) score? I did a Music BTEC and got a Distinction* and was told that it equates to two A*s, which would make my total 6A*s and 3As? But I'm not sure if the BTEC counts...

With 4A*'s, you will have little chance of getting in. (last year's cut-off was 6A*'s) unless you have extenuating circumstances. Its better to apply to those that take a less GCSE dependant approach.

With 6A*'s, you might still apply. I don't think B-tec's count, if they do, they'll probably only count it as 1A*. But I'm not too sure, best to e0mail them and check :smile:.
Cardiff admin sucks!!

It's been 11 days now and no reply to my email :angry:
Don't wanna call them up because it'll charge me :colonhash:
Reply 36
Cardiff admin sucks!!

It's been 11 days now and no reply to my email :angry:
Don't wanna call them up because it'll charge me :colonhash:

Have you checked your junk folder? Their emails always ended up in my junk folder.
Original post by Elwyn
Have you checked your junk folder? Their emails always ended up in my junk folder.

I've checked it :yes: only TSR mails are there
Reply 38
Hi, Im an international student doing IB. hmm yea, apparently I screwed up my UKCAT, got 580 average. So worried, don't know where to apply T-T

I know this is a very overused question, but I still need to ask. hmm, what's my chance of getting ing?

So, basically I got 7 A*s, 1A and 1B. So the B is English, but I got A* in Eng Lit. and i dont know my IB predicted yet, but should be about 42-44.

WHY WOULD CARDIFF DONT LOOK AT IB MORE? ROARRRRR! My IB predicted is much better than my GCSE. So sad T-T and I got B in Eng as well, so I dont know whether I can get in.

So is my GCSE competitive enough? well, so worried whether B in English would drag me down. I was choosing between Cardiff and Southampton, but since UKCAT is low, have to choose Cardiff now. I really like Cardiff anyway, but still, just don't know my chances.

My wk experience isn't amazing, well, the experience is amazing, but I didn't do as much as others. Just spent 2 wks shadowing in 7 department in a hospital in mainland China. Also did 2 first-aid courses. I'm planning to do patient care work in the next 2 months.
Original post by i'm the daddy!
if you have a single A2 'A' grade already, (and taking three A2 in year 13), do you get an additional point added to the gcse score perhaps??

Original post by me94

Original post by Elwyn

Guys, I called up Cardiff medicine admissions today and the woman told me that the cut off for 2012 entry was 25. Anyone below that did not get an interview.
Also, she said if you have your achieved A-level grades, it would make your academic profile stronger. However, she was unable to tell me how many points will be added.
I only have 22 so I'm not sure...
The cut off will vary year by year depending on the strength of the applications they receive.
She also said the stronger the A2 grades i.e A*AA the stronger the application.

:dice:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending