The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
RevisingHard
Hello Advisor person, I have my test on Tuesday 8.20 am...What do you think I'm likely to get at this time? Have I made a mistake as it may be a busy time on the roads....Will that mean I'll have to go on country roads? (I'm in Sheffield - Middlewood Test Centre) Oh and have you any tips for the day? Anything I should know about examiners and what they will be doing and why?

Ta muchly.
Let me look into my crystal ball...

..it's rather murky and dim.. oh wait, the mists are clearing. I see.. you're going to get.... an examiner calling your name. This person is holding a black bag. You're being given a pen and you're writing something down. The crystal ball is misting over... oh dear, the spirits are not talking to us today :frown:

Seriously, though.. it's impossible to predict exactly what you're going to experience on the roads. Whatever you do get, it's only the same as every other driver on those roads are experiencing at that time. Yes, the roads are likely to be busy at 8.20am, but the route will be carefully chosen to avoid the worst pinch points so that you'll be moving as much as is possible at that time. As for country roads, that test centre isn't far from a road which resembles a country road.. it depends on your definition really. If you're taken north, the road goes uphill, past an ambulance station and enters a 40 speed limit before the road starts to bend and a 50 limit with double white lines are in force. It looks as close to a country lane as you're going to get round there.

As for what examiners will be doing.. once they've signed you up, they'll ask you to show them where your car is parked. Before getting into your car, they'll ask you to read a number plate from a distance, then if all is well, you walk over to your car where two vehicle safety questions will be asked. Once in the car and settled down, the examiner will explain that you will be driving for about 38 to 40 minutes and will experience various roads and traffic conditions. You'll be asked to complete two reversing manoeuvres and possibly an emergency stop, the sort of things you've been practising with your instructor. Throughout the test, continue ahead unless traffic signs direct you otherwise, or if asked to turn, which the examiner will do in plenty of time. From then on, simply follow the examiner's instructions, following the rules of the road and your instructor's advice and you should be fine.

Providing you're properly prepared and don't have a brainstorm mid test, you have every chance of passing.
Advisor
Let me look into my crystal ball...

..it's rather murky and dim.. oh wait, the mists are clearing. I see.. you're going to get.... an examiner calling your name. This person is holding a black bag. You're being given a pen and you're writing something down. The crystal ball is misting over... oh dear, the spirits are not talking to us today :frown:

Seriously, though.. it's impossible to predict exactly what you're going to experience on the roads. Whatever you do get, it's only the same as every other driver on those roads are experiencing at that time. Yes, the roads are likely to be busy at 8.20am, but the route will be carefully chosen to avoid the worst pinch points so that you'll be moving as much as is possible at that time. As for country roads, that test centre isn't far from a road which resembles a country road.. it depends on your definition really. If you're taken north, the road goes uphill, past an ambulance station and enters a 40 speed limit before the road starts to bend and a 50 limit with double white lines are in force. It looks as close to a country lane as you're going to get round there.

As for what examiners will be doing.. once they've signed you up, they'll ask you to show them where your car is parked. Before getting into your car, they'll ask you to read a number plate from a distance, then if all is well, you walk over to your car where two vehicle safety questions will be asked. Once in the car and settled down, the examiner will explain that you will be driving for about 38 to 40 minutes and will experience various roads and traffic conditions. You'll be asked to complete two reversing manoeuvres and possibly an emergency stop, the sort of things you've been practising with your instructor. Throughout the test, continue ahead unless traffic signs direct you otherwise, or if asked to turn, which the examiner will do in plenty of time. From then on, simply follow the examiner's instructions, following the rules of the road and your instructor's advice and you should be fine.

Providing you're properly prepared and don't have a brainstorm mid test, you have every chance of passing.

Lol you're funny, first part actually made me laugh! I think I went on the roads you described in my lesson today. Thankyouuuu!!!
delasandro
Got my test on monday
Had my last lesson before the test day today and it was horrendous!
My driving was pretty good. However my manouvers were appalling especially reverse round corner and parralel park!!
Anyone got any tips and steps of how to do them without going for far wide or hitting the kurb etc?

Anyone??
especially Parrallel park??
Ambee Mcgee
I basically panicked, started in a bad position, hit the curb etc. Basically just felt awful about it I didn't even bother try to readjust, the examiner told me after he was 'baffled' that I didn't try again, yeah I feel pretty baffled too! Ah well feel confident I will pass next time...

That's pretty much what happened to me.

My start position was awful; the examiner looked so disgusted I thought maybe he hadn't even asked me to do a parallel park after all. I started to panic and I just couldn't think how to fix it.

I really am starting to believe that driving tests are down to luck; on my first test my manoeuvres (including my nemesis the RRC) were perfect but the drive was the problem, this time the drive was great but the parallel park failed me. So frustrating!
delasandro
Anyone??

I'm not the best at explaining things so I hope I make sense!

If I'm doing a parallel park and the car I'm parking behind is facing forward I reverse until the back of it disappeared behind the passenger head rest - if the car is facing backwards I wait for their mirrors to be visible with the passenger window, then I check my blind spot and steer one full turn to the left.

Then I continue reversing until the front of the car is at 2 o'clock, as soon as it is I steer two full turns to the right.

Keep on reversing until you can see the car parallel to the kerb in the left door mirror, then one full turn to the left to straighten up.

That's how my instructor taught me and providing your start position is right then you shouldn't have any problems. Of course make sure your making plenty of observations all the way through. But I just failed a test on a parallel park, so what do I know?! :frown:
collybird
That's pretty much what happened to me.

My start position was awful; the examiner looked so disgusted I thought maybe he hadn't even asked me to do a parallel park after all. I started to panic and I just couldn't think how to fix it.

I really am starting to believe that driving tests are down to luck; on my first test my manoeuvres (including my nemesis the RRC) were perfect but the drive was the problem, this time the drive was great but the parallel park failed me. So frustrating!

Urggh... he said to me in a really patronising voice as I drove off 'Had you finished that?' Love it how they make you feel like such idiots. Yeah as soon as I saw all those people all I was thinking was 'I need to get this done as soon as possible'. Wish I could have been calmer!

And yeah any other manoeuvre than the parallel park and I would have had that test in the bag! It's especially annoying when my sister who passed first time and has been driving for 5 years still says she can't parallel park properly! At least in the new test there is only one manoeuvre...
Ambee Mcgee
Urggh... he said to me in a really patronising voice as I drove off 'Had you finished that?' Love it how they make you feel like such idiots. Yeah as soon as I saw all those people all I was thinking was 'I need to get this done as soon as possible'. Wish I could have been calmer!

And yeah any other manoeuvre than the parallel park and I would have had that test in the bag! It's especially annoying when my sister who passed first time and has been driving for 5 years still says she can't parallel park properly! At least in the new test there is only one manoeuvre...

Oh isn't it awful having siblings who passed first time?! Both my brother and sister (both younger) passed first time, and here I am waiting for my third.
delasandro
Got my test on monday
Had my last lesson before the test day today and it was horrendous!
My driving was pretty good. However my manouvers were appalling especially reverse round corner and parralel park!!
Anyone got any tips and steps of how to do them without going for far wide or hitting the kurb etc?

Put your side mirrors down, that's how my instructor taught me and I aced my manouvers. Just remember to put them back up when you complete your manouver.
collybird
I'm not the best at explaining things so I hope I make sense!

If I'm doing a parallel park and the car I'm parking behind is facing forward I reverse until the back of it disappeared behind the passenger head rest - if the car is facing backwards I wait for their mirrors to be visible with the passenger window, then I check my blind spot and steer one full turn to the left.

Then I continue reversing until the front of the car is at 2 o'clock, as soon as it is I steer two full turns to the right.

Keep on reversing until you can see the car parallel to the kerb in the left door mirror, then one full turn to the left to straighten up.

That's how my instructor taught me and providing your start position is right then you shouldn't have any problems. Of course make sure your making plenty of observations all the way through. But I just failed a test on a parallel park, so what do I know?! :frown:

Try this technique.

Pull up alongside the car you're going to be reversing behind, leaving a reasonable distance between you and that car. Reverse until the back of your car is level with the back of the car you're reversing behind. Then make one full turn to the left and keep reversing until you achieve a 45 degree angle or thereabouts, and then steer one full turn to the right and straighten your wheels, reverse back until the back of your wheels are a few inches from the curve, and then steer full lock to the right and continue to reverse until you see the pavement fully reappear in the passenger door side mirror. Then straighten up.
I failed for the 4th time today! My theory finishes soon too :frown:
Reply 5990
arghh i failed my 1st test - 1 minor and 1 major for pulling out when there was a car coming - so irritiating as if i forgot to check myblindspot and i know i could have passeds :frown:
gopi1203
arghh i failed my 1st test - 1 minor and 1 major for pulling out when there was a car coming - so irritiating as if i forgot to check myblindspot and i know i could have passeds :frown:

Why did you pull out when a car was coming? was it that it wasn't in your mirror and you could have only seen it if it was in your blindspot or something else?
Reply 5992
In all three of my failed tests I have had the same maneouvers. My friend recently passed and also had these maneouvers (RRC and turn in the road). Does anyone else find this a bit weird? Do they not like to do parallel park? (Not that I'm particularly complaining, just find it a bit stange).

Oh and people that have said the examiner bangs on to your instructor about your major(s) / faults and COMPLETELY exaggerates - I couldn't agree more! Especially on my first test; you'd have thought I'd killed the whole town the way he was saying things!
delasandro
Anyone??

I hope this makes sense but this is how I do mine and it's the manouvre I find easiest!

1) Firstly pull up alongside the car you want to park behind so that you are far enough forward that the front of your car is beyond theirs (at least a bonnet's length). Stop and check all around.

2) Now reverse backwards - make sure you're going straight! Stop when the car you can no longer see the car you're parking behind in your back window. Stop and check all around again.

3) Now you want to steer towards left a full lock until a certain reference point - it may be different in your car but mine is when I can see that the door handle looks like it's level with the curb - play around until you work out the correct ref point for your car.

4) once the handle is lined up I steer to the right until the car is in correct position and looks straight against the car infront.

5) Finally straighten wheel by doing one and half steers to the left.

*this method is in a Nissan micra, obvs it will be different in different
cars. Good Luck!!
Reply 5994
delasandro
Why did you pull out when a car was coming? was it that it wasn't in your mirror and you could have only seen it if it was in your blindspot or something else?

yeah it was straight after my parallel park - i think i was just relieved to have done it right and i forgot to heck my blindspot - sad times :frown: ah well at least i will double check next time !
I failed mine for speeding - Oops!
Got a cancellation in a few weeks. Just scared I will fail for something silly again- I CAN DRIVE! So frustrating.
Also got minors for not checking my blindspot, an old guy pulled out when i was a few metres away and then stopped in the middle of my path, i did an emergency stop and it was all fine, the old man starts shouting at the examiner (although completely his fault and my right of way!!) the examiner was like at the end you could have stopped a tiny bit sooner although you dealt with it well. I got a minor for not making sure a chav on a bicylce really saw me although i was waiting for him to pass watching in my mirror and looking behind at him! Oh well- will remember all this next time!
Does anyone know what the whole independant driving will be like?!
readingr
I just failed because I didn't check my blindspots.. What annoys me is that I've never had an instructor so I've never knew I had to do it and we were driving around in a quiet area with no cars so there was no issue. I wish the driving tests actually measured how well you drive opposed to how picky examiners can be so they can steal more of our money >.>

:facepalm:

You aren't ready to drive. Even without a proper instructor you should know you need to check your blind spots.

EDIT: You're that troll from the university rankings thread. I'm wasting my time.
(edited 13 years ago)
damn, just failed right now-1st time! was going good for 1st 20 minutes but then he told me to do corner reverse and i touched the kerb,,,dayymn!!!!

better luck next time eh...
qwertyuiop09
damn, just failed right now-1st time! was going good for 1st 20 minutes but then he told me to do corner reverse and i touched the kerb,,,dayymn!!!!

better luck next time eh...

Ooooohh My test is 8.20 am tomorrow
readingr
I just failed because I didn't check my blindspots.. What annoys me is that I've never had an instructor so I've never knew I had to do it and we were driving around in a quiet area with no cars so there was no issue. I wish the driving tests actually measured how well you drive opposed to how picky examiners can be so they can steal more of our money >.>

OMFG ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS!!!???

Blind spots is one of the most important things to check when you drive!

Latest

Trending

Trending