The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by happy watermelon
I failed my driving test for the first time on Friday :frown: 3 minors and 1 fail cos the examiner made a comment about people going too fast or too slow, I thought maybe he was hinting cos I was going too slow to be cautious, so put it into 4th gear. Then just after there was quite a sharp bend so I slowed it down and tried to get it into 2nd but couldn't so I put it into 3rd and took the bend in 3rd, probably at about 22 mph, but too quick for the bend. This was about 2 mins away from the test centre on my way back :frown:

So upset with myself, I need to be able to drive for my course which starts in September but my placement starts in October and I have no idea what's going to happen now. The next test date isn't until mid-November so I'm just waiting for a cancellation but I feel even more worried than before. Next time, if I even get a test date in time, I have to pass, and I really can't deal with the pressure. I can't stop thinking that I will never get such a good time, or such good weather, or such good luck ever again :frown:

Don't beat yourself up about it. What's done is done. I failed twice, and on my second attempt I felt EXACTLY like this. I was given the nicest examiner, the most perfect route that I've driven on everytime I had a driving lesson because it's right next to my house, a perfect time etc etc. I got 3 minors and a major for going into a bus lane literally 5 seconds before arriving at the test centre. Was in tears the whole day. I booked my next test as soon as I got home. This time, the examiner was a ***** and I hated the route. But I passed :smile: don't give up! Just book your next test asap. You obviously have what it takes to pass but it comes down to luck in the end. Good luck :smile: x
Original post by happy watermelon
I failed my driving test for the first time on Friday :frown: 3 minors and 1 fail cos the examiner made a comment about people going too fast or too slow, I thought maybe he was hinting cos I was going too slow to be cautious, so put it into 4th gear. Then just after there was quite a sharp bend so I slowed it down and tried to get it into 2nd but couldn't so I put it into 3rd and took the bend in 3rd, probably at about 22 mph, but too quick for the bend. This was about 2 mins away from the test centre on my way back :frown:

So upset with myself, I need to be able to drive for my course which starts in September but my placement starts in October and I have no idea what's going to happen now. The next test date isn't until mid-November so I'm just waiting for a cancellation but I feel even more worried than before. Next time, if I even get a test date in time, I have to pass, and I really can't deal with the pressure. I can't stop thinking that I will never get such a good time, or such good weather, or such good luck ever again :frown:

Just a note- I think having a route you're unfamiliar with can sometimes be a good thing. When I got my route for the second test, I was really relaxed and therefore probably didn't pay attention so much because I 'knew' what to do.

Regarding the uni thing, I have the same issue, but wish I could advise you...
Original post by bear54
Same, at 1.35. It's going to be terrible :frown:

How did your test go?
Reply 8383
Original post by whattheheck
How did your test go?

Failed for stopping too close behind a learner ding a parallel park - he didn't have any lights on :mad:

Would have passed if they weren't there
Reply 8384
Just failed my first test for stalling at a roundabout (1 major, 10 minors), im not 'into' driving ill admit, it was more of a 'lets get this burden off my shoulder' kinda thing...and the instructor testing me was a moody git. The guy who came out before him for another person taking their test seemed a happy, bubbly guy...why could i have got him lol

Feel miserable
Original post by bear54
Failed for stopping too close behind a learner ding a parallel park - he didn't have any lights on :mad:

Would have passed if they weren't there

Ahh! Commiserations buddy! Next time! :biggrin:

I have my 3rd test coming up. I am getting extremely fed up now. DSA as an institution is an absolute shambles. They changed my test date from the 20/9 to 12/10 because the examiner is off that day! So annoying!
Original post by LG1
Just failed my first test for stalling at a roundabout (1 major, 10 minors), im not 'into' driving ill admit, it was more of a 'lets get this burden off my shoulder' kinda thing...and the instructor testing me was a moody git. The guy who came out before him for another person taking their test seemed a happy, bubbly guy...why could i have got him lol

Feel miserable

Keep your chin up!! :biggrin:
Reply 8387

I have my 3rd test coming up. I am getting extremely fed up now. DSA as an institution is an absolute shambles. They changed my test date from the 20/9 to 12/10 because the examiner is off that day! So annoying!

Luckily I booked a cancelled one next month, just before uni

:frown: Bugger - can you keep an eye out for cancellations? I managed to get each within 3 weeks of the last test.
Original post by CalmDownMrRooney
to be honest if you mount a curb on a turn in the road then you shouldnt be driving. how anyone can fail on such a basic thing is remarkable in my opinion.

Thanks for the confidence vote bro.

You are invalid.

:wink:
Don't worry guys. When you pass there's insurance and that feels a whole lot worse than failing...and I failed 8 times lol! :frown:
Arghhh I have my test tomorrow and I'm sure I'll fail...did 2 mock tests today in my 4 hour driving lesson, in the first I got 15 minors, 2 serious and 2 dangerous (!) and in the second I got 11 minors and 2 serious. I'm frustrated because it's for silly things. I failed 15 minutes in in the first one because I didn't look out of the back window during the 3 point turn...stupid mistake. Other reasons I got serious and dangerous faults were not indicating correctly at a double mini roundabout, approaching a junction in the wrong gear and consequently pulling off in the same gear, changing from 4th to 1st accidentally instead of 4th to 3rd like I intended, and stopping over the line at a roundabout junction because I was going to go and then decided it wasn't safe. I also had problems with the handbrake today, I kept leaving it half on after pulling off a few times.

I have 2 hours before my test tomorrow in which I'll brush up on my manoeuvres, and then that's it. It's silly mistakes, not a lack of driving knowledge, which makes it all the more annoying.
Original post by *Boofle*
Arghhh I have my test tomorrow and I'm sure I'll fail...did 2 mock tests today in my 4 hour driving lesson, in the first I got 15 minors, 2 serious and 2 dangerous (!) and in the second I got 11 minors and 2 serious. I'm frustrated because it's for silly things. I failed 15 minutes in in the first one because I didn't look out of the back window during the 3 point turn...stupid mistake. Other reasons I got serious and dangerous faults were not indicating correctly at a double mini roundabout, approaching a junction in the wrong gear and consequently pulling off in the same gear, changing from 4th to 1st accidentally instead of 4th to 3rd like I intended, and stopping over the line at a roundabout junction because I was going to go and then decided it wasn't safe. I also had problems with the handbrake today, I kept leaving it half on after pulling off a few times.

I have 2 hours before my test tomorrow in which I'll brush up on my manoeuvres, and then that's it. It's silly mistakes, not a lack of driving knowledge, which makes it all the more annoying.

Four hours is a longggg time to be driving all in one go. After about 2 hours of lesson I go a bit brain dead and start making silly mistakes purely because I'm tired, bored and not paying proper attention anymore. I think two hours before the test is a bit much.

Got my 3rd test on Thursday. I'm terrified I'll fail again. I failed my other two tests (the first perhaps very unjustly) with just one serious each so I'm really hoping I can pull it out the bag this time and not do anything stupid :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smem
Four hours is a longggg time to be driving all in one go. After about 2 hours of lesson I go a bit brain dead and start making silly mistakes purely because I'm tired, bored and not paying proper attention anymore. I think two hours before the test is a bit much.

Got my 3rd test on Thursday. I'm terrified I'll fail again. I failed my other two tests (the first perhaps very unjustly) with just one serious each so I'm really hoping I can pull it out the bag this time and not do anything stupid :/

If you think that's long, I had an 8 hour one the day before! So 2 hours should feel like nothing compared to the past two days (I hope). Really need to get the manoeuvre practice in. Good luck for your test! :smile:
Original post by *Boofle*
If you think that's long, I had an 8 hour one the day before! So 2 hours should feel like nothing compared to the past two days (I hope). Really need to get the manoeuvre practice in. Good luck for your test! :smile:

Oh my God 8 hours?!!!!? That's unbelievable.
Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Original post by IlexAquifolium
:frown: Bugger - can you keep an eye out for cancellations? I managed to get each within 3 weeks of the last test.

I have been looking, but my instructor is away until the end of August so it is a bit difficult. It just seems the universe is doing everything in its power to prevent me from passing my test! I am just so fed up with driving now! :frown:
Reply 8396
Just failed my first driving test with two majors.

The first was moving off. I'd just done a parallel park on a busy side road only a few 100 meters from the junction. I checked everything was clear, no one on the road, so I started moving out and was focused on getting around the car in front without hitting it.

I guess as I was pulling out another car had just turned into the junction because the examiner stopped the car. I knew of course it was insta-fail but decided to keep treating it as a test for practice.

Second major was for driving too slowly. She pulled me up on a steep country lane hill to give me directions for my independent section and said 'when you get to the end of the road its a national so unless signs tell you otherwise its national speed limit.' I pulled to the junction and to my right I saw a 30 sign painted on the main road.

I thought 'Ah the reason she mentioned speed limits is cause she was wondering if I'd notice that.' So I kept at 30 (no cars around speeding or signs to show me otherwise) until we turned off. She gave me a dangerous for driving too slowly on a national speed limit road.

I can understand all that to be honest. The thing that annoyed me though was she kept trying to have a 'friendly chat' between every junction. It was inane questions like 'So what would you normally be doing this time of day?' "Are you from around here?' I didn't want to seem rude and piss her off so I was trying to answer while staying focused. Still, thanks for trying to divert my attention from the route while you scrutinize my every mistake.

Can you imagine in the middle of an A level exam, the invigilator saunters over, parks himself on your desk and says 'So...what made you decide to do maths ey?'

It'd be like, "Erm, can you sod off? I'm trying to concentrate on an exam here. Cheers."
Original post by Hannahbanana2705
Thanks for the confidence vote bro.

You are invalid.

:wink:

i have the pink license whilst you mount the kerb on a 3 point turn bro :wink:
Reply 8398
I passed my driving test in February 2010. But that was my second attempt.

First attempt I took a roundabout too close and mounted the rear wheel, instant fail. (I'm not gonna make excuses, but the roundabout was shaped like a jelly-bean :tongue: ).
Second 'attempt' I got to the test center and the examiner said "Not today I'm too stressed". So it got cancelled.
Second real attempt I passed with 0 minors. Good times.
I just failed my first test with 3 minors and 2 serious faults :frown: The worst part of it was that I got both those serious faults in the last 2 mins of the test!.. On the road on which the driving centre is on I thought the speed limit was 40 but it was actually 30 so was speeding and then on turning right back into the test centre I should have waited in the hatch markings but I thought you werent allowed in them!

Now I have to wait 6 weeks til I can try again :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending