The Student Room Group

conceptualizing the 3rd space..

we had given series of assignment of architectural design...

the first assignment was to read the " mathematics of ideal villa" by Rowe.
in which he critique the two villas by comparing them.

2nd assignment was to select a place.....and critique( not structure, in architectural terms.) that place...that was a written assignment.

3rd assignment was to built a section and plan of that place from memory...

then in forth assignment we have to draw the same section and plan on scale after taking measurements of that place....

now we have given a design assignment of a 3rd space....

there are some rules....as follows..:

1. the space should small not more than 6x8x8( feet)
2. it is a study of an idealized pod, as it were , in which work while not at home or office.
3.it should confront the issue we raised in our own critique.
4. it should free standing, any access or control of light, sound, view, privacy etc. must be defined by the element we place.. i.e it does not depend on an existing place.
5. consider your space to bridge the gap b/w furniture and architecture.

and we have to design the space for someone like to work ( read/study/ research/ write)

now i need some help regrading ideas how to develop that space...
this is my first assignment.... and you guys may have attempted such type of assignment...so plz share....reply asap...
Try googling work pods or student /general living pods as a basis for precedent as and how people designed compact living/work with a particular focus recently on lowering environment aspects

Hope this helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
love designing stuff like this, the only way you'll get good is to just jump in there and do it yourself.

personally for stuff like this i'll grab a sketchbook and try come up with a dozen totally unique concepts, spending under 2 minutes on each one. just keep drawing even if it looks totally wrong and nothing like the brief. go back and spend a further 2 minutes on each annotating them, this could be as practical as labelling items you've drawn, or more simply "this swiggly shape looks awesome".

after your little brainstorming session hopefully you will have seen something you like that's usable, combine some of the best ideas that complement each other and spend half an hour time coming up with 2 or 3 very different designs. then choose the best one, develop it further and form it into your final design.

basically come up with as many ideas as possible and weed out the things you don't like and don't work while limiting how much time you spend on the initial sketches

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending