The Student Room Group

anyone else's uni library so full/crowded?

I remember during covid it was amazing. I'd get a full floor nearly all to myself, and I'd be able to get the comfy sofa desks.

Nowadays, though its hard to even get a space, I'll walk around the 4th floor and 3rd floor, and eventually manage to get a desk on the 2nd floor :rofl: It's October and I haven't yet been able to bag a turn on the comfy sofa chair desks :sadnod:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
I remember during covid it was amazing. I'd get a full floor nearly all to myself, and I'd be able to get the comfy sofa desks.

Nowadays, though its hard to even get a space, I'll walk around the 4th floor and 3rd floor, and eventually manage to get a desk on the 2nd floor :rofl: It's October and I haven't yet been able to bag a turn on the comfy sofa chair desks :sadnod:

Hi Chronoscope!

I'm Pip, a third-year TV Production student. I agree, campus is so busy right now. It's likely the start of the term rush and I'm sure it will die down in the next few weeks. In the mean time, do you know if you can book study spaces at your Uni's library? I know some do this and it may help your issue! At BU we have these nice bean bag chairs, I hope you get your sofa chair desks soon!

Pip :smile:

Hiya!

Yes, our Library is very busy at the moment also and as mentioned above this is probably just due to the rush of previous students returning from their summers off and the fresh blood on campus that are getting use to the facilities. Fortunately, at De Montfort University we have some sound-proof rooms :blow:that students can book out if they want a particular study space; try and see if your university offers this or has something similar I have used these rooms before when it was busy during exam season and it was great :smile: Maybe you can even address this issue to the staff that work in the Library and they can pass on some advice for when it seems quieter or raise the issue for yourself to others. Aha good luck bagging the comfy sofa chairs they are always the first to go frustratingly :bawling:, luckily at DMU we have an extension of the Library so usually I can find a few in there!

Hope you have settled back into University well and are enjoying your studies

-Maddie :heart:, second year student studying Health and well-being in Society.
Haven't even been to any of the libraries for my uni yet. Probably a bad sign? Idk. When I'm on campus and not in a lecture I sit in our department common room, which was initially almost always pretty empty but now people are starting to use it more as well.
Always full. Got to try other study room buildings.

Hey,

Yeah it is definitely so much busier than it used to be!! I agree with what people have said above, maybe try to book out a study space if your university offers that. Also, I quite like working in different study spaces in other areas / buildings at the uni, sometimes they are much nicer and quiet too!

I’d also add as well that the library will get extra busy towards the end of terms due to exams and assignments. If you’re planning to be there all day, get there early (for like 9am) if you want the best seats!!

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

@Chronoscope

It might be the time that you are going to the library e.g. lunchtimes tend to be pretty busy! I find Saturday mornings are good and that evenings during the week are also pretty quiet, so you could trying going at different hours.

Alternatively, you might like to create your own cosy space at home.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,
As the other posters have noted, it could definitely be the start of term rush! Does your uni library allow you to book study rooms? I always found this handy during busy periods for ensuring I got a spot. Whilst your uni library is a great space for studying, it may be worth looking at other options for study spaces whilst you wait for the rush to calm down - or you might even find you prefer studying somewhere else. For example, I enjoyed working from coffee shops to break up the day, my student union or the study space available in my private student accommodation. All are good options!

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending