The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h.dupre16
Hello, could anyone that is currently studying Arts and Sciences at UCL tell me about their experience there ? Do you like it/what do you find the most interesting/what courses are you taking ?
I have applied and I am eligible for cultures or societies. They have also sent me a questionnaire that I need to send back soon. If I do get in, I would definitly choose the "societies" pathway and major in International Relations, Comparative politics and Introduction to Political Sociology. Anyone doing any of these courses could tell me a little bit more about them (if they like them,etc)?
I have been reading their website but I am finding the 'core' part of the program a little bit conflusing. In other terms, I don't really understand what I would be studying in "Quantitative Methods: Exploring Complexity" for example, could anyone help me ?
Thanks !

Hello :smile: I'm on my year abroad but I can try and answer your question.
I really like Arts and Sciences I've taken some really interesting courses and I feel we get a lot of support whether it be academic, careers wise and also personally with the common room and BASc society.
Over the past two years I have taken, International Relations, Political Sociology, International Security, British Politics, Pharmacology, Science and Public Policy, the BASc law module, and Development Geography as my pathway modules.
I found Introduction to International Relations really interesting and a really good base module for political theory which is really helpful for doing any politics modules later, the tutorials were well taught and the readings made sense, but the lecturer was terrifying and the essays were harshly marked. Introduction to political sociology was excellently taught in 2014, I presume it still is, it was so interesting and covered everything from gender to media. Both courses had decent workloads and contact hours.
Quantative Methods is another course with a fantastic lecturer, my main gain from this topic was overcoming my fear of numbers! This module taught me to use maths and numbers in a way that would support any research I might do in the future, basic coding and statistics and problem solving based on these. We also finished with a final coursework project where we were free to find our own topic and use quantitative methods so numbers or coding or stats to investigate our own problem.
Hope this helps!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hello, well thank you very much for the answer !! I am very excited because I have been invited for an Open day which is taking place tomorrow!! Do you think you could give me some advice? They say that I will be taking an exam at the end of the day but that there isn't much to revise? Did you have to do an exam? How was it? Should I bring a calculator, etc?
Reply 602
Hello, well thank you very much for the answer !! I am very excited because I have been invited for an Open day which is taking place tomorrow!! Do you think you could give me some advice? They say that I will be taking an exam at the end of the day but that there isn't much to revise? Did you have to do an exam? How was it? Should I bring a calculator, etc?

Hi, I will be one of the BASc students showing you around for the day. I don't know which pathway you are taking so the exam will be different for each one, however, it will be based off an interdisciplinary topic and you'll be able to answer all the questions based off what you are given, as well as from your own A Level/IB studies. So don't worry too much about the test, I would recommend bringing a calculator (especially if you are doing the Science and Engineering Pathway) and a bottle of water. Besides that have fun on the day, it is meant to be enjoyable!
Hi, I'm an international student and I'm considering applying for UCL BASc in this application cycle. May I know if I can choose another course offered by UCL (BA Geog) as part of the other 4 choices in UCAS?

From what I've gathered, it is theoretically possible to apply for 2 courses from the same school. Furthermore, BASc is a rather unique course so it doesn't matter too much that the personal statement isn't exactly fitting for BASc (my personal statement is for Geography).

My main concern is, how does UCL view applicants who indicate interest in 2 of their courses? Will it have any significant detrimental effect on my application to either course?

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Lei

P.S. I've just started using TSR so I'm not too familiar with how things work here. Pls tell me if I should be posting this elsewhere!
Original post by Llspritz
Hi, I'm an international student and I'm considering applying for UCL BASc in this application cycle. May I know if I can choose another course offered by UCL (BA Geog) as part of the other 4 choices in UCAS?

From what I've gathered, it is theoretically possible to apply for 2 courses from the same school. Furthermore, BASc is a rather unique course so it doesn't matter too much that the personal statement isn't exactly fitting for BASc (my personal statement is for Geography).

My main concern is, how does UCL view applicants who indicate interest in 2 of their courses? Will it have any significant detrimental effect on my application to either course?

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Lei

P.S. I've just started using TSR so I'm not too familiar with how things work here. Pls tell me if I should be posting this elsewhere!

Hi,
Im currently studying BASc and I applied to do both the BA in Geog and BASc here at UCL (so basically same situation as you are in!)
I ended up getting offers for both courses so I'd say there is no problem at all in applying for both! BASc send you a separate questionnaire so it really doesn't matter that your PS is directed towards Geog (mine was).

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions :smile:
Hello everyone,I was thinking of applying to the BASc at UCL, I wanted to apply for societies as a major and health and environment as a minor. I was wondering if it was ok considering I don't do science, I only take Maths. thank you!
Original post by alicefree
Hello everyone,I was thinking of applying to the BASc at UCL, I wanted to apply for societies as a major and health and environment as a minor. I was wondering if it was ok considering I don't do science, I only take Maths. thank you!

Since Health is your minor not your major I think that's fine! I do that exact combo now and I didn't do a science at IB HL. If you're still unsure (I know the entry requirements listed on the website can be confusing to understand) then email the BASc department and tell them what subjects you take and whether they accept that. The BASc office is usually really fast at replying and really helpful so they can clarify any doubts you may have!
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by anchorheart
Hi,
Im currently studying BASc and I applied to do both the BA in Geog and BASc here at UCL (so basically same situation as you are in!)
I ended up getting offers for both courses so I'd say there is no problem at all in applying for both! BASc send you a separate questionnaire so it really doesn't matter that your PS is directed towards Geog (mine was).

Hi Anchorheart,

Thank you for your reply! That's one big worry off my mind now.

Cheers,
Lei
Original post by anchorheart
Hi,

hey, I have an unconditional offer for Geog BA and UCL is my no1 choice - I'm currently on a gap year but have a few questions :smile:

1 - which is the best non catered and catered accommodation?
2 - if you know any people on the geog course, what is the course / workload like and are there many people who have taken gap years?
3 - how much time do you get for clubs / societies / going out / gym etc?

Thanks!
Hi,
I'd like to know what the teaching style is for the arts and sciences course. Is it lectures and seminars, is there a mini tutorial system or one to one/small group contact time?
Also, is it possible to spend a semester abroad at another university?

Thanks! :smile:

How did you find the open day, I was there too!
Reply 611
Original post by greenorange
Hi,
I'd like to know what the teaching style is for the arts and sciences course. Is it lectures and seminars, is there a mini tutorial system or one to one/small group contact time?
Also, is it possible to spend a semester abroad at another university?

Thanks! :smile:

Hey Greenorange,

The teaching style can vary dramatically depending on what modules you decide to take (since you have access to pretty much every UCL department). Maths modules could be vastly different from English ones, for example. The core modules (which everyone takes) are a mixture of lectures and seminar classes.

Yes you can spend a year abroad, just look at the study abroad option on their website.
Original post by Torvus
Hey Greenorange,

The teaching style can vary dramatically depending on what modules you decide to take (since you have access to pretty much every UCL department). Maths modules could be vastly different from English ones, for example. The core modules (which everyone takes) are a mixture of lectures and seminar classes.

Yes you can spend a year abroad, just look at the study abroad option on their website.

Thanks, I meant possible to spend one at an unlisted university? And are seminars 10:1 lecturer?

Thank you!
Reply 613
Original post by greenorange
Thanks, I meant possible to spend one at an unlisted university? And are seminars 10:1 lecturer?

Thank you!

It is possible to spend a year abroad at an unlisted university, but it is difficult to arrange, as you will need to arrange all the agreements, so I can't make any promises about it.

Seminars will vary in size from as few as 5 to as many as 15. Depends on how popular the class is. The thing about having access to all of the modules at UCL is that every UCL department does seminars differently, so there is no set ratio I can tell you.
Does anyone know when the skype interview will be if we are invited to it? Also what is the rough date for when they tell us if we are accepted/ rejected? Thanks!!
Hey everyone :smile: I was just wondering if any offers had gone out for BASc already, and if not, what time they are expected to come based on previous years?

Good luck to everyone applying!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Torvus
It is possible to spend a year abroad at an unlisted university, but it is difficult to arrange, as you will need to arrange all the agreements, so I can't make any promises about it.

Seminars will vary in size from as few as 5 to as many as 15. Depends on how popular the class is. The thing about having access to all of the modules at UCL is that every UCL department does seminars differently, so there is no set ratio I can tell you.

Thanks!!
Hi
I was wondering how much time you spent on your pathways compared to how much you spent on the core? Also, what is the core really about? All I can think about is that its like half a degree in TOK which doesn't hugely excite me.....
Thanks!
Original post by libby_kinley
Hi
I was wondering how much time you spent on your pathways compared to how much you spent on the core? Also, what is the core really about? All I can think about is that its like half a degree in TOK which doesn't hugely excite me.....
Thanks!

Hi! I'm a first year so I've only done the Approaches to Knowledge (ATK) module so far so I can't comment on the other 2 core modules. Although I did find ATK really similar to TOK the content they teach you in ATK is actually quite useful (even though for most of us at first it seemed like it was irrelevant). The idea behind the core modules is to give you a bunch of transferrable skills (critical thinking, research methods, and some quantitative skills) so that you can apply these to your pathway modules throughout your degree. I wouldn't be worried about having too many TOK-like modules as from what I can tell ATK is the only one thats similar to TOK. The other 2 core modules in 1st year are much more practical ones!

With regards to your question on how much time is spent on pathway modules it really depends on the modules you select and how they're spread out over the year.
For example some people are taking mostly term 2 modules and so only had ATK, language, and 1 pathway module this term and so had more core modules teaching hours (if you include the language) than on pathway ones but this will change next term.
Also, if you take science modules you'll have a lot of lab hours for that so compared to the 2 hours of lectures + 1 seminar you have for each of the core modules you'll have spend a bigger proportion of your time studying your pathway.
Again, that said, in terms of credits you take, 50% are core and the other 50% pathway so technically you'll be splitting your time equally but as I pointed out that won't always necessarily be the case!

Hope this makes sense and helps! Feel free to PM me or reply to this if you have any other questions!
Hello!

I am an applicant this year wishing to major in Health and Environment.
I was wondering what chapters of Biology and Chemistry they expect us to know for the test of the Open Day since I live outside the UK (in France) and I'm not too sure we follow the same programme.
Could anyone tell me what they think is most relevant to revise chapter wise?

Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending